Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi app

VPorbi
Star

Orbi app

I have the following issue changing the name of the device in Orbi app for iPad details and screenshot attached below:

I cannot change the second line of the device name "Raspberry Pi" below the icon as it is grayed out, not sure where it came from to start with? It is a smart plug from Kasa TP link, did anyone have similar issues and know how to solve it? 
Any good suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
VPorbi
Star

Re: Orbi app

I have been primarily using Orbi app on my iPad or iPhone as Netgear has been promoting its use starting with the install and set up. It is good, easy and helps me do the basic stuff like check devices, internet speed, Armor notifications etc. As I got to use it more is when I noted the anomaly in the Kasa smart plugs labels. Going forward if I have any issues with Orbi app, I will check the web interface.

Thanks 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@VPorbi wrote:

I have the following issue changing the name of the device in Orbi app for iPad details and screenshot attached below:

I cannot change the second line of the device name "Raspberry Pi" below the icon as it is grayed out, not sure where it came from to start with?

Orbi contains code that attempts to discover the manufacturer of WiFi interfaces. This code is often incorrect and put stupid labels on devices in the Device Model field.  As you have discovered, there appears to be no provision in the Orbi app to edit this field.

In the Orbi web interface, the Attached Devices display brings up a window to change everything about the device, including:

• Device Name
  • Device Model (which is where Raspberry Pi would be replaced with TP-Link Kasa HS-105 (or whatever it is)
  • Device Type (which is a drop down menu that actually stores an integer value. The Orbi web interface and the Orbi app use different images for device types so a smart plug will have one image in the web Attached Devices page and a different image in the Orbi app.)

Doesn't create much of an impression on users who have been encouraged to use the "app" rather than the web interface to find that so many things can be done only with the web interface.

Message 2 of 6
VPorbi
Star

Thank you for the reply, feedback.

I have 6 Kasa TP link smart plugs, 4 of them have the same label 'smart plug' in second line which is grayed out and I cannot edit, delete. Of the remaining 2, one has the label 'Raspberry Pi' and other has longer 'Smart Wi-Fi Plug Lite' in the second line. I am trying to tidy them up so they all have same labels, but no luck so far!

Message 3 of 6
VPorbi
Star

CrimpOn,

Quick update FYI...I was able to edit, change the label second line to 'Smart Plug' with Orbi web interface. However I cannot delete the second label line and get error msg 'model name error'.

Thanks again for your suggestion and I do love my Orbi RBK753s...working very well since I have installed few weeks back.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Unless I am mistaken, the top line on the Orbi app corresponds to the Orbi web interface Device Name and the second line (in smaller type corresponds to the Device Type in the web interface.

For names, I typically put something descriptive about the device, such as location (bedroom, cat box, patio), who it belongs to (John's Mac, Bill's tablet), or what it does (Driveway Camera, Garage lights).  For types, I typically use the model number (HP-720, Epson ET-3760, Kasa HS-105, Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact, Orbi RBS40V, etc.)

Since I only open the app when researching a question about the app, having to create these entries in the web interface is no problem because I am almost always using the web interface.  If one uses only the app, having to switch over to the web interface would be a bother.

Message 5 of 6
VPorbi
Star

I have been primarily using Orbi app on my iPad or iPhone as Netgear has been promoting its use starting with the install and set up. It is good, easy and helps me do the basic stuff like check devices, internet speed, Armor notifications etc. As I got to use it more is when I noted the anomaly in the Kasa smart plugs labels. Going forward if I have any issues with Orbi app, I will check the web interface.

Thanks 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7