Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 router not found in orbi app

JK1503
Initiate

RBR50 router not found in orbi app

Orbi app shows Router not found and will not connect.  I'm able to access via orbilogin on browser and I'm able to use the app through any where access but the app will not connect locally?

I'm definitely on the correct wifi network and all permission have been granted in settings running iOS 15.4.1

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
mgoblue01
Initiate

Re: RBR50 router not found in orbi app

Turn off iCloud private relay beta. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 20

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What app version is it? 

What firmware is on the orbi? 

Are you using random mac/ip address for for iOS device? I've seen that cause issues on the local network

Message 2 of 20
mgoblue01
Initiate

Turn off iCloud private relay beta. 

Message 3 of 20
JK1503
Initiate

This has instantly fixed the issue thank you so much 🙏🏼
Message 4 of 20
Forrest21
Initiate

Hi,
Any suggestion(s) for those of us with an Android phone?
I'm experiencing same issue: Orbi app won't connect even though my device (Note 20 Ultra) is connected to my Orbi Wifi. Huh, read that out loud..."Orbi app telling me it can't connect because I'm not connected to my Orbi Wifi, yet I am indeed connected to my Orbi Wifi"...sooo an app is calling me a liar! That's just lovely.

I've reviewed the various threads & tried all the suggestions but no dice. Haven't done a factory reset, yet. Thought I'd pose my similar conundrum to the Netgear community & if I'm lucky, someone far wiser than I will have a new simple solution for Android users (like mgoblue01's previous post: iOS turn off iCloud private relay).

Thanks in advance input!!
Message 5 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

This situation has nothing to do with what sort of phone is using the Orbi app. (Apple or Android).

Rather, this firmware update has incapacitated both the smartphone (app) and the web interface of the Orbi router.

Customers are faced with two solutions:

• Those who are willing to 'lose everything', do a Factory Reset, and configure their systems from scratch can have everything "back to normal" (after the process).
  • Customers who are not willing to go through this ordeal are left waiting for Netgear to somehow "fix things".  No one know (a) if they will, or (b) when it might happen.

Not what anyone would want, but.....

Message 6 of 20
mgoblue01
Initiate

I don’t know anything about Android tbh, but iCloud private relay is a double encrypted vpn-like service that hides an iPhone’s IP address from even the phone it is on. As a result, the Orbi app, when doing its authentication in the app, can’t recognize the iPhone as part of the Orbi network. When I had this problem, the app showed my satellite as online but the RBR as inaccessible.

Maybe you are using some VPN/IP hiding service on your phone as well? I don’t know what it would be, but it would help define my research.

Good luck.
Message 7 of 20
cponnusa
Aspirant

I am also having an Android phone and it stopped working though phone is connected to Orbi network. Need to have a fix from Netgear for  Android 12 OS.

Message 8 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

The current fiasco is not related to Apple or Android. There is an issue in the router firmware itself that showed up after an automatic update.

If the same firmware is 'factory reset' and the router reconfigured, then the issue disappears.  Absolutely nutso.

Considering the uproar on the internet, one would expect Netgear is working frantically to create and test new firmware.

Until then, users who must have access to the Orbi app, have only one option: factory reset.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 20
deandeandean
Aspirant

Hi Crimpon
I have not accessed the community in the past so I had a few questions I was hoping you could help me with.
Where would I find updates from Netgear on the status of their “fix” (assuming they are working on it). Or do they just leave everyone in the dark? I would think they would be giving daily updates somewhere on their efforts to rectify the situation.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Message 11 of 20
plemans
Guru

There was actually an article about it lately you can read. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/technology/netgear-fixes-bad-orbi-firmware-update-that-locked-...

A fix is in the works but it hasn't rolled out to the whole public yet. They test on small batch tests to make sure it works and doesn't make things worse. 

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

NG isn't seeing any or working on any Orbi 50 series issues with Orbi app. Orbi app should be working for that Orbi series. The Issue with Orbi app and Web page access is being seen on Orbi AX series systems, 7 and 8 only. 

The only other items that Orbi app is having a problem with is that with Apple devices, Wifi Private IP address and Limit IP address tracking features seen on Apple devices may cause Orbi app to not work right or fail to connect. While your at home you can disabled these features on the Apple device to see if this helps get the app connected to the Orbi system. 

Message 13 of 20
Forrest21
Initiate

Thank you all for your replies. Although the issue isn't resolved, it's at least nice to know the root cause is a NG-created issue and not my incompetence (this time, haha!).

The frequent headaches caused by Netgear over the past ~ 1 yr have me seriously reconsidering whether I should seek new product solutions from NG's competitors...
Message 14 of 20
kgrass
Tutor

Thanks but tbh this is a workaround and not a solution - hopefully NG fixes this
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@Forrest21 @kgrass 

NG isn't seeing any or working on any Orbi 50 series issues with Orbi app. Orbi app should be working for that Orbi series. The Issue with Orbi app and Web page access is being seen on Orbi AX series systems, 7 and 8 only. 

The only other items that Orbi app is having a problem with is that with Apple devices, Wifi Private IP address and Limit IP address tracking features seen on Apple devices may cause Orbi app to not work right or fail to connect. While your at home you can disabled these features on the Apple device to see if this helps get the app connected to the Orbi system. 

If, not you'll need to contact NG support and let them know what your having problems with on the 50 series Orbi system:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck.

Message 16 of 20
kgrass
Tutor

Thanks @FURRYe38

I can either use Access Anywhere or disable a feature on my phone to get the app connected to my Orbi. Both are workarounds requiring a user to give up functionality in one place in order to gain functionality in another. They are not really fixing the problem but they do provide a workaround for Apple users like myself. 

Personally, I find value in the Private Relay functionality on Apple so I’ll live with using Access Anywhere rather than connecting locally. Hopefully someday NG will figure out a way to work with Private Relay, VPNs, etc. I suspect hiding IP addresses will become more prevalent as time goes on, not less. Just my two cents.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

WiFi Private Address is only needed when you travel away from home. I don't use this feature while at home as it not need.

I have this disabled and Local Network enabled on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and have both local and Anywhere access working with my 8 series Orbi. 

Message 18 of 20
Chimaican
Aspirant

Thanks, that did it. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what changed that was blocking local access. Private relay makes perfect sense as the culprit.
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@Chimaican wrote:
Thanks, that did it. Was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what changed that was blocking local access. Private relay makes perfect sense as the culprit.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7