Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR750 Shows Offline After FW Update

Joe221
Star

Great point. There was a thing earlier about sending your serial number and that would let them push directly to you. I get that but I did it and am still dead. I’m frustrated to and this is my last Netgear product.

Message 76 of 93
miketheknight20
Apprentice

Where did you see to send your serial number? I missed that!
Message 77 of 93
CrimpOn
Guru

@miketheknight20 wrote:

I just thought about this...I do not have auto-updates enabled, I had to manually update my Orbi before this fun began.  With that being said, I also see that NG is pushing out the "patch" in the next 10 days and it started on 05-23....are these being pushed to all customers even if auto-update is not enabled?  Or since I do not have auto-update enabled, will i need to perform the 30/30/30?

Auto updates is not a user controlled setting. The router 'checks in' with Netgear periodically and during the check-in can learn serveral things:

• There is no new firmware.
  • There is new firmware, and don't pay any attention.
  • There is new firmware, and display a message on the web interface and Orbi 'app' to let the user know.
  • There is new firmware, and install it right now.

That is how people who sent a private message with their serial number have had firmware updated.  That is also how Netgear is forcing the update on thousands of routers over the next 10 days or so.

Message 78 of 93
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tnknights wrote:
If all the ports are blocked, how can they push an update? To me, it is scary that if they can push something with all ports blocked, what kind of back door do they have?

Ports are never blocked from the router.  It can connect to anywhere on the internet that it wants to.  There is a feature to block ports from connected devices (under the Security menu), but this has nothing to do with the router.

Message 79 of 93
Joe221
Star

It was in one of the linked forums here. Now I’ve misplaced it. Was it a Christine?? I did send a PM days ago and no response that it was going in the queue or anything. I’ve tried rebooting and crossing my fingers. Not working. I hope NG makes an announcement I’m a registered owner, it’d be nice. 

Message 80 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

If you manually updated your system before all this happened, you should not see any problems. There were many users who updated manually before the problem started and hasn't had any issues with there system. This including me. Systems ran find since I manually udpated. This ONLY effected users that had not updated there systems and the AU system seems to be the root cause here. 

@miketheknight20 wrote:

I just thought about this...I do not have auto-updates enabled, I had to manually update my Orbi before this fun began.  With that being said, I also see that NG is pushing out the "patch" in the next 10 days and it started on 05-23....are these being pushed to all customers even if auto-update is not enabled?  Or since I do not have auto-update enabled, will i need to perform the 30/30/30?

Message 81 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Ports are not blocked by NG or by any NG services. If ports are blocked, users would be doing this and it's up to them to un-block these ports if they are purposefully blocking them. Otherwise, users can manually update FW as well which some of us did before this event happened and didn't have system wide problems when the event first started. 

@Tnknights wrote:
If all the ports are blocked, how can they push an update? To me, it is scary that if they can push something with all ports blocked, what kind of back door do they have?

Message 82 of 93
Tnknights
Guide

A simple port scan showed all ports to the router was blocked. After the fix, ports 80 and 443 are open. A more intense scan show more ports open.

There is no logic behind the statement saying that if ports were blocked, users did it. Why would everyone do it that had issues? Why would I have done that in the middle of the night, at the same time the update happened? It makes complete sense that the update blocked the ports with a bad setting. They should’ve included a failsafe like we do in the enterprise world.
Message 83 of 93
miketheknight20
Apprentice

I manually updated. I was logging in to the admin interface via the ip address to hardcore a device ip and saw there was an update so I installed it. Then BAM! This happens

My only query remain is since I manually updated will NG autopish the fix to my device or do I need to do the 30/30/30 method?
Message 84 of 93
CrimpOn
Guru

@Tnknights wrote:
A simple port scan showed all ports to the router was blocked. After the fix, ports 80 and 443 are open. A more intense scan show more ports open.

This illustrates how terminology affects discussions.  Ports being blocked and ports being open are two different concepts.

In general, the term "blocked" means that the router has prevented data from passing through the router.  Netgear routers do not block attempts to reach other devices unless the user has deliberately created blocks using the Security "Block Services" menu.

Ports are described as being open, closed, or stealth depending on how the router treats a connection attempt to itself.

• open generally means that the router accepts a connection attempt to the router.
  • closed means that the router actively rejects the connection attempt by sending back a rejection message.
  • stealth means that the router does not respond at all to a connection attempt.

There is an excellent discussion of these descriptions at Gibson Research: https://www.grc.com/su/portstatusinfo.htm 

You are entirely correct that the router is supposed to accept connections on a number of ports:

• Port 53 because it is a DNS server
  • Port 80 for the unsecured web interface
  • Port 443 for the secured version of the web interface (with that damn self-signed SSL Certificate)
  • Port 631, the Internet Printing Protocol - which "beats me" because I do not think printers can be attached to Orbi routers.
  • Port 20005, which has something to do with German Telecom.

The problem that caused so much discussion on the forum is that Netgear's firmware update made the router stop accepting connections on ports 80 and 443.

Message 85 of 93
Tnknights
Guide

I had no idea whether the ports were blocked or closed as the router did not respond to any query on the port. I used blocked as I didn’t do any troubleshooting. As soon as I saw 80 and 443 not respond, I stopped. I had other things to do! LOL!
Message 86 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and setup from scratch. Be sure any RBS that you have is synced. 

Then manually update to v.2 on the RBS first then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

@miketheknight20 wrote:
I manually updated. I was logging in to the admin interface via the ip address to hardcore a device ip and saw there was an update so I installed it. Then BAM! This happens

My only query remain is since I manually updated will NG autopish the fix to my device or do I need to do the 30/30/30 method?

Message 87 of 93
miketheknight20
Apprentice

NG must have pushed the update to me. I can now access everything via the browser. App just spins when I put in the password in and I assume times out, but I may need to delete and reinstall. But that will be a tomorrow project.

Just excited that I got a win!
Message 88 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Check this if your a Apple user for Orbi app operations:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/Orbi-Web-Page-and-Orbi-app-Access-Status/td-p/2223085/jump...

@miketheknight20 wrote:
NG must have pushed the update to me. I can now access everything via the browser. App just spins when I put in the password in and I assume times out, but I may need to delete and reinstall. But that will be a tomorrow project.

Just excited that I got a win!

Message 89 of 93
Joe221
Star

I finally got the push. I was contacted by Netgear and gave them my serial number. I rebooted this morning after checking that it was still stuck. I noticed a lot of Armor messages coming in and I could finally see my router. What a ride. About a month. 
Glad it’s over but the search has started. 

Message 90 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Joe221 wrote:

I finally got the push. I was contacted by Netgear and gave them my serial number. I rebooted this morning after checking that it was still stuck. I noticed a lot of Armor messages coming in and I could finally see my router. What a ride. About a month. 
Glad it’s over but the search has started. 

Message 91 of 93
ecw
Guide
Guide

I am not 100% sure if it has been posted, but has NetGear provided an OFFICIAL response to the cluster 'eff that they created?  Or are they tucking their tail and riding out the support cases that came in?

Message 92 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/NETGEAR-is-rolling-out-a-fix-for-an-...

@ecw wrote:

I am not 100% sure if it has been posted, but has NetGear provided an OFFICIAL response to the cluster 'eff that they created?  Or are they tucking their tail and riding out the support cases that came in?

Message 93 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7