Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 Orbi App not connecting anymore

sfergmobile
Tutor

RBR850 Orbi App not connecting anymore

I love my Orbi, it works so well I never have to mess with it barely at all. So today when I went to show my brother in law how it works I was embarrassed because I couldn't access anything via the App anymore. I've been trying to fix it ever since! 

Strangely the internet is still working perfectly throughout this whole thing. 

I've tried power cycling the router no change

I've tried reinstalling the app, even less access now, whereas before I could at least see most of the interface now I am completely out 

I've tried new network setup which seemed to be working just fine but when it recognized my Orbi's network name and looked like it would log me in, the next screen said Orbi not found, looks like I'm not connected to that network and maybe I'm on a guest network even though guest networks are not configured. 

I cannot access orbilogin.com or orbilogin.net or 192.168.1.1 but when I do 192.168.0.1 I get a login screen. However I tried my login and it doesn't seem to work. 

My MacBook doesn't have an ethernet port so I can't plug directly into the router. 

Some info about my network and setup Orbi RBR850 and 1 satellite. 

MacBook Pro M1 Max 14" 

Iphone 11 Pro latest Orbi app version

And I think it has latest firmware

I remember taking a look around in the app about a week to a month ago and it worked fine. 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
sfergmobile
Tutor

I should write an update, my situation has resolved I believe. What I ended up having to do was buy a dongle USB-C to Ethernet LAN like the ports on the back of the Orbi. I procrastinated a bit because it seemed daunting and intimidating. Took a cable and plugged my MacBook in and I was able to access the password reset for my admin account which had been either lost or misplaced or hacked or something maybe? I don't know exactly. It also needed the serial number to the modem and a couple other little things I can't remember. But as soon as I did that I could login to the app in my phone again and everything was ok again. Seems like it anyway. I did not end up needing to do a factory reset or change any settings on my phone like many posts say. My case might be different than yours. Good luck! Wish I knew more  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You're not the first to report this. Over the last week, we've seen a lot of reports of this. 

Some were fixed (if you're on ios) by simply disabling icloud relay and private mac/ip address. 

Others did a full  factory reset and reinstalled from stock. 

Others just decided to wait it out on the next update since everything still works. 

Message 2 of 8
sfergmobile
Tutor

Thanks. I hadn't heard about the iCloud one. I've read about a few other settings and other things to try so I will keep tinkering. Seems like some have had good results doing a full reset of the router, but I'm afraid it would take down the currently working network and then still not let me admin! It's really kind of scary this can happen. I've never lost control of my network before and certainly not while it is still working. Please fix this, Netgear. I have a family I was trying to keep safe when I bought your fancy router. These are not the kinds of things I want to deal with during nap times and in-between making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches  

Message 3 of 8
Javmex8
Aspirant

When will this issue be resolved and how will I need to update my Orbi system? Will it do it automatically? I also noticed that my internet seems to be working but the lights on the Orbi are not on at all, I push the sync button and it flashes white for a few minutes, please help!
Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Javmex8 You can watch the status page at the top of the forum for this. Netgear doesn't release eta's because they don't sometimes don't know exactly when either. The changes need to be validated and then sent to a small group to make sure it doesn't make things worse. It'd be a bad situation if they took it from just not able to access your device to bricking it entirely. But its being worked on and its been acknowledged by netgear (which is rare)

Message 5 of 8
shandel23
Aspirant

I'm interested in this resolution also as it's happening to me too.

Message 6 of 8
sfergmobile
Tutor

I should write an update, my situation has resolved I believe. What I ended up having to do was buy a dongle USB-C to Ethernet LAN like the ports on the back of the Orbi. I procrastinated a bit because it seemed daunting and intimidating. Took a cable and plugged my MacBook in and I was able to access the password reset for my admin account which had been either lost or misplaced or hacked or something maybe? I don't know exactly. It also needed the serial number to the modem and a couple other little things I can't remember. But as soon as I did that I could login to the app in my phone again and everything was ok again. Seems like it anyway. I did not end up needing to do a factory reset or change any settings on my phone like many posts say. My case might be different than yours. Good luck! Wish I knew more  

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7