Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 We can't find your Orbi

CrazyEddie
Apprentice

I’m a novice and am trying to be respectful to @FURRYe38, as I expect he’s volunteering and not a NG employee - but I echo the sentiments above. The time I wasted trying to fix this myself will never be recovered, and it would have been cool to have received a notice of something like “watch out for the following which may apply to you…”

And this - “ A factory reset will be needed and setup from scratch with the RBR and web browser at HTTP and 192.168.1.1.”. Is that a position from NG? I mean, blame it on Apple (for something that isn’t new, and not exactly a limited population of users), and then give a “start over” directive? It really does feel like Microsoft customer support from a different era - “please confirm your device is plugged in. If that doesn’t fix the problem, please use the 15 3.5’ discs to reinstall Windows.” WTH?

I agree - I’ve got quite a bit of $ sunk into this system, but my time and irritation is also a cost. Can anyone recommend an alternative?
Message 76 of 654
Daveu
Star

Having the same issue here too. I really don’t want to factory reset. 

Message 77 of 654
pjhercules
Aspirant

I'm in your boat as well.
Message 78 of 654
AmCanMan
Aspirant

Read all this. Worked with chat. They instructed me to delete and reload app. Now I can’t hook up to anything! Not even chat! What is going on? At least the Wi-Fi seems to work. Just can’t access my router…

Message 79 of 654

Same problem here too. Internet works fine but cannot access router through app or 102.168.1.1. Cannot set up any new devices - “cannot find router”. Holding out on factory reset. Net gear please fix this soon.
Message 80 of 654
VVjjJJ
Star

My RBR850 is having the same issue. Very frustrating. Assuming Netflix actually fixes this, can they push a firmware update and have it auto install? Since I can’t access the router from a browser or the app, I wouldn’t be able to install the firmware update lol. 

Hoping to just wait it out since the WiFi actually works right now.

Message 81 of 654
aspier
Star

I guess I am a tech idiot, if I do a reset

When I type in 192.168.1.1 on my laptop I go to my FIOS router.  Even though I have wireless off on FIOS and I'm connected to Orbi

When I try on my iphone I get the same result

What do you guys mean turn off the apple settings.

Was working great 2 weeks ago...now not and I feel real stupid.

Thanks in advance

Message 82 of 654
Coffeecup
Star

Aspier, I feel your frustration. I was able to do a factory reset successfully. I have Xfinity> Motorola cable modem> RBR850 with one satellite. I have at most 16 devices not all are active. My iMac, Brothers printer and Arlo bridge are hardwired to Orbi. Read past post by Nortakales # 62. I don't know how complicated your set up is or how many devices you have. I was able to use Orbi app without turning off the Apple settings in the article posted by Furry.  I can now access web interface. Everything is back to normal.  Maybe I just got Lucky.

Message 83 of 654
aspier
Star

Thanks coffeecup

I have over 30 things attached to Orbi, I will have to reconnect each to the Orbi?  oh man

Maybe I will try Sunday and hope I can still WFH Monday 😞

Message 84 of 654
jono-a
Star

I have over 40 devices and everything automatically reconnected without issue as long as you set it up again with the same SSID / password. Obviously if you have static IPs assigned to various devices you’ll likely lose all of that.
Message 85 of 654
VVjjJJ
Star

Ugh can’t edit my original post. Rewriting it:

My RBR850 is having the same issue. Very frustrating. Assuming Netgear actually fixes this, can they push a firmware update and have it auto install? Since I can’t access the router from a browser or the app, I wouldn’t be able to install the firmware update myself so hoping that can happen without me having to factory reset.

Anyone know if that’s still possible for Netgear to do or am I outta luck and need to factory reset?
Message 86 of 654
MB_Love
Apprentice

I’m wondering the same thing- from anywhere access it says my router is disconnected (despite me being on my Orbi WiFi).
Message 87 of 654
jono-a
Star

Since it’s still connected to the internet I’d assume they could push a fixed firmware to the device but who knows. I wasn’t willing to wait to find out. Would’ve been nice if ANYONE from Netgear had at least acknowledged this issue and touched base in this regard.
Message 88 of 654
aspier
Star

Jono - a Agreed and a message from Netgear just popped up asking me to rate Netgear and if I would recommend to a friend.  🙂

Message 89 of 654
Jroach
Luminary

I'm wondering if NG clobbered their access to our routers with the latest FW failure and eliminated the ability to update/fix?  

Also, my experience with NG is they seem to wait it out and let us slog through the issue with solutions like "start over" or "factory reset".  They want us to run our homes like IT professionals (keep the FW updated, keep a back up of your config, document...) but they don't follow their own advice.  

Like others, as long as it is running I'm going to wait for the fix.

Message 90 of 654
_Mike
Guide

In the Apple app reviews, Netgear is responding with useless canned suggestions.  But they did give an email if anyone wanted more help:

netgearteam@netgear.com

I sent an email yesterday and of course did not hear back.  But perhaps if everyone on this thread sends similar emails, maybe they'll take notice and do something about it.

Message 91 of 654
Jroach
Luminary

Mike, Thanks for the email.  I'll send one now.

I will also look for an email of somebody in the org higher up so we can let them know.  Often the C level execs are in the dark and don't realize they have a problem.

Message 92 of 654
CrazyEddie
Apprentice

Ditto - email sent. I will send another to anyone else you all identify. 

Message 93 of 654
Jroach
Luminary

I sent an email to David Henry.  He is the President of Connected Home Products.

If the email doesn't bounce in the next 15 minutes, I'll post the address.

Message 94 of 654
MasakiKoi
Star

Netgear if you are reading this.....The new Orbi app update for the iPhone last night 5/12/22 did NOT solve the problem!!!!.  Orbi app version 2.17.0.171.  App still not able to connect to router.

Error message......"We can't find your Orbi".   Fix it please!!!

Message 95 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL USERs: NG is aware and is working on fixing the problem currently with users having problems accessing the system using Orbi app and web page with a browser. Please be patient.

In mean time, to re-gain access to the RBRs web page, disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem. Turn OFF any RBS. Connect 1 wired PC or laptop to the back of the RBR. Disconnect everything else. Press the reset button for 15-20 seconds then release. Use MS Edge, FireFox or Opera and HTTP and 192.168.1.1. Walk thru the setup wizard here. Scroll own to the bottom of the page and select "Don't have mobile device". This will continue the setup wizard in the browser. Walk thru this and complete it. use same SSID name and password as before. After it completes, reconnect the RBR to the ISP modem/ONT. Check for internet services and connections with your devices. 

Be sure to make a new backup configuration to file afterwards:

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Try accessing the RBR using the Orbi app. For those Apple users, disable these before launching the Orbi app:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Message 96 of 654
Jroach
Luminary

Furrye38,  

thanks for summarizing the workaround again.  I'm still waiting for the fix as mine is working and even though I have a back-up I'm not 100% certain it includes all the changes I have made so I'd prefer to wait.

I know your in a tough spot trying to help folks without any guidance from NG.  Really appreciate your help.

Message 97 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

++Updated

Hello Orbi Community,

Christine here! Thank you all for your contribution to this topic.

We are aware of an issue affecting the Orbi RBK85x and RBK75x Series Mesh WiFi 6 Systems. Some customers can no longer access or manage their Orbi systems through the Orbi app or the web user interface. WiFi and core routing functions are not affected, and connected devices can still access the Internet normally using wired and wireless connections. However, both Armor and Smart Parental Controls are temporarily disabled.

Several customers have reported that a factory reset resolves this issue.

We are working to understand the root cause and identify an alternative recovery method that doesn’t require a factory reset. For immediate access or to restore Armor or Smart Parent Controls (SPC) services, we recommend performing a factory reset. For detailed instructions, visit How do I reset my Orbi WiFi System to factory default settings?. After resetting your Orbi system, you must also manually reactivate Armor or SPC services. To reactivate, launch the Orbi app and tap the Armor or SPC tile, then follow the prompts.

We will continue to provide updates as we learn more.

I truly appreciate your patience,

Christine

Message 98 of 654
_Mike
Guide

Hi @ChristineT - Thank you so much for chiming in!  Glad to hear that Netgear is aware and working on a fix.  It may be too early to say, but can you confirm something: When the fix is in place, will the router update itself and will the UI become available again?  Or will we still need to perform a factory reset?  Many of us are trying to avoid a reset because we have customized settings and configured static IPs that we do not want to lose.  Thanks!

Message 99 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

All FW version beyond what she linked to were removed so there's nothing that would be auto updated. 

I believe they've probably turned off the auto update system for now. 

@_Mike wrote:

Thank you so much for chiming in!  Glad to hear that Netgear is aware and working on a fix.  It may be too early to say, but can you confirm something: When the fix is in place, will the router update itself and will the UI become available again?  Or will we still need to perform a factory reset?  Many of us are trying to avoid a reset because we have customized settings and configured static IPs that we do not want to lose.  Thanks!

Message 100 of 654
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7