Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 We can't find your Orbi

00_Jenn
Star

@ChristineT My issues started a week+ ago, which included inconsistent connectivity (pink light on the router but Spectrum not having any issues) AND inability to access my router through the app or the browser (I went to try to reboot because of the pink light / lack of internet and couldn't). I found the reddit thread of users experiencing the same issues (both pink light and lack of access to the system through the app and browser) which directed me here. 

Firmware Version: V4.6.8.2_2.1.9

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.37-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.12-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 13.88%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 350 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 00:34:02

Message 351 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @00_Jenn ,

Thanks for the additional detail! That helps a ton! 

My first recommendation (if you haven't done it today) is to reboot your system to fetch the update manually. Let's work toward getting your system on this most recent Seal update then we can tackle the connectivity issue. It sounds like you have a slightly more complex set of issues. But don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of this together! 

PS. I updated my original message to you to include instructions on how to collect logs. Let's collect logs (if needed) once the router has upgraded to the latest firmware.

Cheers,
Christine

Message 352 of 654
00_Jenn
Star

Thanks for the response @ChristineT . As you might notice from my system info, I've been connected for 34min (since my last reboot) and it didn't fetch any update. I've been rebooting incessantly for over a week, every time the pink light came on (although I had to do it by unplugging since I couldn't access via the app). I'm on a zoom now so I can't reboot again until after 830p ET.

Message 353 of 654
Schapow
Initiate

Have the same issue with iOS apps not finding Orbi and also can not log in at Orbi login.com with my computer the the network is functioning.  

When are you sending out an update to fix the his mess?  Is this a firmware issue or app issue? There is no details on what happened.

Thank you

Message 354 of 654
CrimpOn
Guru

There is no detail about "what happened", and probably never will be.

All we know is that the forum suddenly got flooded with posts describing how a firmware update was 'pushed' to their 750 or 850 system and (a) the Orbi app could no longer connect to the router, (b) the Orbi web interface no longer responded.

The systems continue to function.  If the user does a factory reset and configures the systems from scratch, they behave normally.

Netgear has mounted an urgent campaign to diagnose "what happened".

One version of repaired firmware has been pushed to forum volunteers, with mixed results.

A second version of repaired firmware is now in testing and being pushed to volunteers.

The expectation is that everyone will get the repaired firmware 'soon' (in terms of days, not hours).

Message 355 of 654
cariscorp
Initiate

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to Christine and netgear community. In the past I have been skeptical about support I couldn't call into. From discovering this issue to finding this thread in this forum to having the issue fixed a day after I DM'd Christine... just outstanding customer support. Bravo!

Message 356 of 654
Schapow
Initiate

Thank you very much for letting me know.  I use it in AP mode so I can do a factory reset without messing anything up.  I will try that. I can understand how people don’t want to do a factory reset if all their settings go away as it is a huge pain.  Orbi is a good system though.  Hopefully they can patch what happened quickly

Message 357 of 654
neknek
Star

And now because of "what happened", anyone with the ability to block the Netgear update domains has done so, and thousands of Orbi owners have lost trust in the company.  I'm not allowing any Netgear traffic past my PiHole ever again, and will only manually update firmware from now on.  I can't recommend Orbi systems for my clients after this, either.  

Message 358 of 654
CrybabyKay
Tutor

Christine, I direct messaged you about getting a forced patch to repair my RBR 850 as I am having the same problems with it as others on this thread. I’m wondering if I should wait for the patch or try to reset my Orbi?
Message 359 of 654
SjammerJ
Aspirant

What can I do about this? I can't connect to my orbi
Message 360 of 654
lipstick
Guide

Hello cristine! I had pinged you with my serial number this morning but did not receive any acknowledgment. Can you please send an update to my router asap? Thanks.
Message 361 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @CrybabyKay ,

I am hesitant to make a recommendation here however some things to consider before deciding.

You may consider a factory reset if the following conditions apply:

1. Your Orbi configuration easy to set up from scratch
  2. You have an urgent need that requires immediate access to the router settings

You may consider waiting for the patch if the following conditions apply:

1. Your Orbi configuration is highly customized and NOT easy to set up from scratch
  2. You don't have an urgent need that requires immediate access to the router settings
  3. The Internet is working as expected

Whichever you decide please let me know if you need further assistance. 

Best,

Christine

Message 362 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello Orbi Fam! 

Thank you everyone for your participation! Thank you all for sending over your details! I have received over 100 new requests to be added to the next round of updates. Although, I may not have responded to you directly please know I'm working in the background to ensure your systems get the patch as quickly as possible. With enough positive feedback, we are aiming at a general release in the upcoming days.

I'll be back in touch soon.

Cheers,

Christine

Message 363 of 654
lipstick
Guide

Thanks christine! Will you also please notify us when the update has been rolled out to the next batch of 100 so we know when to restart our router?
Message 364 of 654
CrybabyKay
Tutor

Thanks for replying so quickly Christine! I’m going to wait for the patch to come through. Hopefully, it’s pretty soon. My Orbi should be fairly easy to reset but I’m going to wait for the patch as I don’t want to lose the Internet entirely. Thank you, Kay
Message 365 of 654

I likely am speaking for many of us frustrated Netgear customers by first applauding @ChristineT for bravely facing countless customers and trying to help them recover from this incident.  She has been a beacon of customer obsession, as I've seen her on here nearly 24x7 the past week since this incident started.

I also, like many of you are likely wondering, I am also confused why Netgear leadership is so cowardly in how they are handling this incident.  Why let @ChristineT go it alone?  Where is upper leadership and why are they not posting a recurring GA production restoration status every 4 hours or so?

Full transparency, I am a technology executive for a major financial institution.  If my organization were to encounter such a widespread, customer impacting incident, we would not be sitting idle letting one sacrificial lamb support staff try to go it alone, collecting Serial #s and trying to put out a 3 alarm fire with a dixie cup of water (which BTW people, please stop posting your S/Ns on a public site... that is a treasure trove piece of intel for a bad actor to use to try and attack your environment later).

If such a large customer impacting event were to occur, it would be all hands on deck, all other production work would stop until operations was fully restored.  Executives would be calling customers, putting out social media and other alerts every X hours to keep the customer base abreast to when their coveted business would return to normal.

Granted, Netgear is not a G-SIFI nor will the financial system be disrupted b/c our home routers are not functioning... but the principles of customer service should be the same (plus, i imagine some customers are relying on their Orbi routers to support their businesses and livelihoods).

So @ChristineT , please take this back to your management.  Ask them to stop hiding behind you.  Have your CTO or COO get on this thread.  Have them give us updates every 4-6 hours until a fix is applied (not this serial # beta test fix), and functionality is restored.  We all paid good $ for a high end home mesh wifi system, and expect it not to crash for no reason.

Message 366 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @lipstick and All,

I'll ensure any serial numbers sent to me before 4:00 PM Pacific time today (5/19/2022) will be on the list to get updated overnight. This means in the morning you should be able to confirm if the update resolved the issue. If the issue is NOT resolved, it's possible the overnight update failed. Rebooting your system will trigger it to check for an update again and download it manually and reboot on its own. Once fully restarted try again. Then let your friend Christine know how it went! 😉

Kind Regards,

Christine

Message 367 of 654
lohith
Tutor

Push is successful and restored access to Orbi 750 🙏

Message 368 of 654
jvcjbl
Star

@ChristineT Yes I'm familiar with how to close an app on the iPhone. I have tried multiple time, and what I can get in now to the app. The device list doesn't populate and instead gives that error. The devices populate as expected using the web interface. Honestly the web interface has been weird for me. It's never accepted my password and always told me it was wrong. I could turn right around and use the same password on the iOS app and it work just fine. I'd let a few mins go by and try the web interface and it would just login without any prompting for a username or password. Next step. I guess is to delete the orbi app and reinstall as a hard reset of my phone didn't fix the issue

Message 369 of 654
rs8967643
Tutor

I power cycled the Orbi and my iPhone and I am now able to access the Orbi from the app. However the app fails trying to get a list of devices with the following error message:
Could not reach server. Try again later
(code: CDIL-API-FAIL).

Message 370 of 654
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @rs8967643 ,

Can you confirm if you've forced quit the app? We have seen this error and have received some feedback that this works to resolve the issue. We've also heard that leaving it for a period of time resolves the issue on its own.

@jvcjbl Can you also please monitor this error and give it about 24 hours to resolve?

Many thanks,

Christine

Message 371 of 654
jvcjbl
Star

@ChristineT yes I can. I see the person right above has the exact same issues as me. It works on the website though so that's step in a right direction. I'll let the app sit and see if it will work. 

Message 372 of 654
00_Jenn
Star

@jvcjbl I've previously had the same issue with the web interface not accepting my password (same password that the app accepted minutes later). I ended up resetting my password using the web interface and serial number, and so far haven't had it happen again.

Message 373 of 654
jvcjbl
Star

@00_Jenn I've reset the password through the web portal 10 plus times and it's the same song and dance. 90% of the time the site just loads without prompting to sign in. When it prompts to sign in, it doesn't accept the password at all. If I wait a minute or two and refresh the site it just lets me in. Honestly the website has been garbage in this regard since day one. The app is ok but annoys the hell out of me. I get 660+ alerts from one of my smart dimmers Bitdefender is annoying as hell. Constantly alerting me of items that need to be updated for firmware. I have a $5000 home theater receiver that alerts me almost daily for vulnerabilities and it needs a firmware update. The firmware is 2 weeks old. LOL

Message 374 of 654
MrsWAW3
Initiate

Serial # 6AF50B7JA01FF

I have spent 4 hours on this today for RBR750...seriously getting frustrated.

Send patch.

Thank you

Message 375 of 654
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7