Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 We can't find your Orbi

JulieSD
Aspirant

Re: RBR850 We can't find your Orbi

Same here - don’t want to factory reset. Do you think this can be repaired on their end or is a full reset going to be necessary? 192.168.1.1 doesn’t work.
Message 26 of 654
jono-a
Star

Might be fixed with a new firmware update but who knows how long that will take - just went ahead and did the factory reset and everything is back to normal now.
Message 27 of 654

Same issue. I really don't want to lose all of the customizations I made to identify every single Mac address that ever hit the router. This sucks. One would think that whoever rolled this change out woud have some urgency to fix it. Is Netgear even acknowledged the problem? What a waste of $1,000.
Message 28 of 654
jono-a
Star

Let’s not even mention their lack of support after a year unless you pay extra for it. Unreal.
Message 29 of 654
Pf14nj
Initiate

thanks - juno-a

I did the same thing and reset the unit -everything back to normal - 

you would think they would at least allocate one resource to monitor trending threads..

Message 30 of 654
Gdmann
Guide

Last night my RBR750 rebooted and has done the same thing as everyone else's products have done. No access from web, app, direct, or remote access to the management interface. Must have did an auto update. Anyone else find a fix, besides factory reset? Don't want a factory reset as will need to reapply all VPN info on remote eq. NETGEAR IS CRAP. Never use their equipment for a business.
Message 31 of 654
NWCyclist
Tutor

Same here,

I haven't changed anything, and it's been at least a week (I think), since I used 192.168.1.1 to log in.  I went in yesterday to check stuff, and having the same issue.

They must have pushed something in the last couple days that broke it.  I did everything listed in this thread, and everything connects, but can't get to router.  I have everything locked down tight, and if I can't attach my wife's new iPad coming this week, I'm going to pay a hefty price (I have everything MAC address locked down).

I don't want to do a full factory reset and lose all my customizations either...

This is a pretty bad bug.

QQ - Has anyone that did do the full factory reset try cycling the power to the router again (after the reset and set up) to see if the bug repros?  I'd hate to think that if you lose power to the router after reset it does the same thing... 

Message 32 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

For Orbi app and Apple users.

Factory reset and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser should bring back  the RBRs web page access if you can't access the web page on a PC. 

@NWCyclist 

@Gdmann 

Message 33 of 654
jono-a
Star

^ Apple introduced that a little while ago and there have been no issues until now - clearly this is a firmware bug as a factory reset resolved things without touching my iOS or MacOS settings. Also this bug isn’t just limited to the apps but also browser access via local IP address. Honestly shocking Netgear has not addressed this yet and refuses to help people without paid-for customer support.
Message 34 of 654
NWCyclist
Tutor

@FURRYe38  - This is not isolated to Apple products, it's clearly a firmware bug for something they pushed within the week.

I have both Android and Apple phones, and the Orbi app reacts the same (can't connect).  I've repro'd the bug on Pixel 5a (which was working), Apple phone (which was working), and with my windows PC and my Mac book pro (which both had worked through 192.168.1.1).  

I also use a Windows PC every day (which is wired directly to the router), and have been, and the 192.168.1.1 has worked flawlessly for a year until the last few days sometime.

I've tried the apple fix on my iphone, and it didn't work, so there is clearly something more going on as other people are experiencing the same bug in the same timeframe.

Message 35 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

The linked in formation is to help work around the issue and a temp work around for users using the Orbi app on Apple devices. 

NG is aware of the issue and seem to be working on it. In meantime users and try the linked information. If not, you'll need to be patient. 

User should still be able to access the RBRs web page using a wireless or wire connected PC or laptop. 

IF anyone i having problems accessing the RBRs web page, try a factory reset and setup from scratch with a wired PC or laptop.

Message 36 of 654
Drew7203
Guide

Connecting to orbi app and router

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was having a problem connecting to the router or the app. I tried rebooting the router and modem and also using a ethernet cable to connect directly to the orbi but no luck. When I do anywhere access it shows it with a red dot and offline.   I have fully running orbi in sense the internet works but have no way to access the page, armor or parent controls.  I have tried the websites as well as the number like 10.0.0.0.1 and 192 number. The 192 number redirects me to the FIOS page. The FIOS model wireless features have all been disabled. 

Was wondering if it was a firmware update or such. Gearheads have not been able to help me solve it.

I have a RBS850 model.

Thank you in advance. 

Message 37 of 654
NWCyclist
Tutor

@FURRYe38  - Thanks for the info you provide, definitely appreciate it.

Before I go through my entire house and 40+ devices to set back up (including my work computers as I work from home now due to the pandemic), it would be good to know if Netgear on any thread acknowledged the issue and stated they are working on a fix?   I can't risk waiting (due to work), if I can't get into my router and see if I have connectivity issues during the work day.

If they haven't officially even acknowledged the issue, then we have no idea if they will try to "fix" it or not (without factory reset).

It would also be great to know if the bug repros again if the router is power cycled after factory reset and setup.   I'd hate to set up, and then be right back into this position if the power on the router cycles (not sure that exposed the issue, but some people out there seem to think so based on their experiences).

And no, on a PC directly wired, I tried all the login options directly, and it seems that nothing is allowing log in to the router (without going through factory reset, that is).

Message 38 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't see to go thru 40+ devices when you reset, just need to reset the RBR only and setup from scratch again. You can even turn OFF the RBS while you do this or leave them running so devices have something to connect to temporarily. 

IF the system is working for you and it's just the routers web page and the know Orbi app issue, you might leave the system running. When you have time, then try a reset.

I've seen a couple of other users mention that they contacted NG support and was told that NG IS aware of the problem and seem to be working on a fix due out in a few days. So you might wait for this coming week and see if something comes out that fixes this...

Message 39 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting to orbi app and router

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Disconnect the RBR from the ISP Modem. Power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back ON. Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com?

While the RBR is disconnected, try a factory reset and setup from scratch on the RBR with a wired PC. Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 after pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release?

@Drew7203 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was having a problem connecting to the router or the app. I tried rebooting the router and modem and also using a ethernet cable to connect directly to the orbi but no luck. When I do anywhere access it shows it with a red dot and offline.   I have fully running orbi in sense the internet works but have no way to access the page, armor or parent controls.  I have tried the websites as well as the number like 10.0.0.0.1 and 192 number. The 192 number redirects me to the FIOS page. The FIOS model wireless features have all been disabled. 

Was wondering if it was a firmware update or such. Gearheads have not been able to help me solve it.

I have a RBS850 model.

Thank you in advance. 

Message 40 of 654
FarmerBob1
Luminary

This happened to me on an RAXE500 when applying new FW and manually inputting the info. After trying to apply certain sections, I would get a lock up and would have to reboot to get back to "trying" to get into the UI. Which the page would just sit there and nothing would happen. But the Network that was up and running for the most part remained operational while this happened. Just out of habit, I did a Pin-Hole Reset and no problems after that. If that hadn't worked, I would have done a 30-30-30.

This was under the supervision of NG Tech, so they know about it and we are watching it closely. Since then it has popped up in the ORBI line and I posted a thread of the first incidents to the FW group looking at this. So they are currently investigating it.

Message 41 of 654
Drew7203
Guide

Hi it is a fios gig modem.

Make: ARCADYAN

Model G3100

I am not sure what ONT mean?

Message 42 of 654
jono-a
Star

This issue is independent of the ISP modem. Internet works fine. It’s locally accessing the Netgear router UI that’s the issue. In theory you should be able to unplug the modem altogether and access the UI which should then show a lack of internet connectivity. This is a firmware bug that applies regardless of what modality you attempt to access the UI via. Only current work around is a factory reset until the hopefully push a fixed firmware to currently affected users.
Message 43 of 654
Drew7203
Guide

Okay so will the Netgear be able to update the Firmware automatic

Message 44 of 654
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Yes. Once NG gets a fix they usually roll it out in short order.

No. As @jono-a says, it's a NG device internal issue, and has nothing to do with your Internet Connection.

An ONT is the device that changes your Fiber line into Cat5/6 for you to use on your network.

TLDR: The Device that changes Fiber to Copper.

Message 45 of 654
Gdmann
Guide

Another observation I currently seen during this no access to the management interface, is it appears the RBR750 reboots every 12 hours now. This is seen when all devices drop network access and the white blinking ring is seen. Any one else seeing a similar behavior?
Message 46 of 654
aspier
Star

Thanks everyone.  Had a similar problem a few weeks ago with Insteon and made the mistake of a factory reset.  Turns out the company went out buiness and I can't get into the hub again.  So I won't do a factory reset here and will wait for hopefully a fix soon from Netgear.

Very frustrating, but glad it was not just me. 

Thanks again and look forward to the fix

Message 47 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

Try accessing the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 using HTTP in MS Edge, FireFox or Opera. 

@Gdmann wrote:
Another observation I currently seen during this no access to the management interface, is it appears the RBR750 reboots every 12 hours now. This is seen when all devices drop network access and the white blinking ring is seen. Any one else seeing a similar behavior?

Message 48 of 654
aspier
Star

Yes but when I go to 192.168.1.1  I get my Verizon router not the Orbi

Message 49 of 654
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the IP address on a wired PC connected to the RBR? 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 50 of 654
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7