Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBRE960 anywhere access broken

uk_orbi
Aspirant

RBRE960 anywhere access broken

My RBRE960 has randomly lost anywhere access via app/iOS 16 it connects locally ok, no lights on the RBRE indicating everything working normally and my smart device connects to the internet locally via the ORBI18 SSID, I've tried a few reboots it's the same i.e no anywhere access is working via WAN/5G network!?

The RBRE960 also services 3 Satellite devices of which two it lost completely, just seems such a flakey app/device if it does this!?

As the anywhere access is via Netgear's secure cloud I'm wondering if that bit is their issue and not the Routers? could that also affect it losing two of it's satellites!?

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
uk_orbi
Aspirant

So I had to factory reset to get everything back working again, and this time in the web interface I disabled auto-updates, that can be the only explanation about why the router and 3 satellites became defunct.

Really poor from Netgear tbh you wonder whether they test these things in their labs, I was not impressed with the support as had nobody call me back!

I did notice one of the satellites which connects wirelessly to another satellite before it connects wirelessly to the router that in the "details" tab of the Orbi app it was connecting at 2.4Ghz where as the other 2 satellites we're both at 5Ghz, anyone know why that is?

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 26

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @uk_orbi

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Kindly provide the firmware version of the router and the satellite.

Please ensure that you have the latest Orbi App (v2.21) installed.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

RBRE960 v6.3.7.5

App version 2.21.0.329

Satellites we're aligned at the time but can't check due to app issue and I'm away from the site now.

It's just strange why randomly it loses connectivity like this out of the blue.

Message 3 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 4 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

it's a UK 5G HUB device 

BrandThree
Name5G Hub
Manufacturer brandZyxel
Manufacturer name

NR5103E

The RBRE960 is in Router mode and was working perfectly for 4 months until the random issue, I've proved I can get out to the internet whilst connected to the RBRE960 ok.

Message 5 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Since this modem has a built in router, I recommend using the modems DMZ for the IP address that is given to the RBR router so that we can ensure Orbi all has a good clean path to NG services and thru to the RBR when your away from the Orbi site. 

Message 6 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

There i no config options for this basic router it's all effectively a DMZ no firewall blocking ports inbound.

How does the Orbi connect to Netgear secure cloud on what port?

Message 7 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there any Bridging options for the modem? 

So no DMZ or IP pass thru features at all? 

Message 8 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Public IP is on ISP Router dear cannot be changed

ISP Router assigns DHCP IP and Gateway to RBRE960

Message 9 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Message 10 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try setting up a port forward range on the ISP modem router and see if this will keep act like a DMZ. 

Create Port Forward rule on the modem and set it beginning value at 1 and end value at 65535. Both TCP and UDP protocols. Set to the IP address that the RBR gets from the modem.

Check with the Mfrs support site for help and information on setting up any Port Forward configurations. 

Shame that this modem doesn't have a DMZ. 

I don't think NG makes the port public...

Message 11 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

How many times should I mention this, the 5G HUB is not blocking anything!!!!

It was working perfectly for months.

You don't answer the question about Orbi and Netgear secure cloud tcp port number for comms.

The communication happens per below if your unsure:

Client/Orbi App ------ internet ---- Netgear Secure cloud --- Public IP 5G HUB ----- DHCP assigned IP to RBRE960

Outbound internet from RBRE960 is fine and anywhere access is toggled green

Inbound is broken because potentially some issue there in Netgear secure cloud

Message 12 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully the forum moderator can help you out then. 

Good luck. 

Message 13 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@uk_orbi wrote:

My Orbi shows only two established connections, one to Google Time and the other to:

cpe-xxxx.xxx-112-236.socal.res.rr.com:47013 ec2-34-214-217-243.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:https ESTABLISHED

Which would tend to indicate that the port used is 443 (https).  If there is an issue, one might conclude that it is actually "in" the cloud or in the app itself, not in the network connection.

The next time you are physically connected to the 960 LAN, it might be useful to attempt Anywhere Access.  The top item under the "hamburger" menu (top left) shows the method of connection.  Selecting that will open to a screen showing other available connections.  In my case, the default is Anywhere Access (which I find stupid, but that's just me), and I can switch to Connect Locally.

In your case, I would expect the default to be Connect Locally and am wondering if Anywhere Access is offered as another choice.

Message 14 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Thankyou, your reply is most useful.

It's strange Orbi support are checking and on about re-flashing it with zero troubleshooting to whether they can see the connection attempts to their "secure cloud" I work in networks myself so have a decent handle on things.....

I've attached the app screenshot it's cloud connection via any WAN im using whilst not on-site, I can connect locally and reach out to the internet perfectly, the RBRE960 is definitely doing weird things as it's dropped it's local satellites which should have been stored in it's NVRAM memory one would have thought, few reboots and nothing changes....

PS - I can connect to anywhere access locally, I even tried to resync a local satellite and it didn't find it after i pressed the synch button on the respective satellite and click next on the app to find it - but it didn't!

Message 15 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@uk_orbi wrote:

I've attached the app screenshot it's cloud connection via any WAN im using whilst not on-site,

My sense is that there are two separate issues:

• Anywhere Access
  • The Orbi app displaying the network map correctly.

Anywhere Access:

The red dot on the screen shot next to "Connected via Anywhere Access" and the notice at the bottom of the screen ("Unable to connect to router") support the conclusion that Anywhere Access is  not actually "Connected".  This is not especially helpful because there are so many potential causes:

• Something is wrong with the iOS version of the app and it is failing to get connected to the "Cloud"
    • Maybe it isn't getting to the cloud through the WAN connection at all
    • Maybe it isn't presenting the correct credentials to the cloud to match it with the router
    • Maybe the Cloud internal tables are screwed up
  • Something is wrong for this specific user account and/or router inside the cloud.
  • Something is wrong with the router.  Perhaps Anywhere Access is turned off in the router and it is not connecting to the Cloud.

What I do not know is whether installing an Orbi router automatically opens a connection to the Cloud, or whether a connection is established when the first Orbi app (connected Locally) enabled Anywhere Access.  Enabling the feature is on a device basis.  A customer might have several devices with the Orbi app and some could have Anywhere Access enabled and some might not.  Once a device with Anywhere Access not enabled leave the LAN, it cannot connect.

On the second issue (Device Map incorrect) maybe it would be worth looking at the Orbi web browser interface to see whether it detects the satellites (or not).

Message 16 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Yup good point sir, I actually had in the back of my mind that I did an iOS update to 16.1.1 and has that caused it!?

Just tried re-installing the Orbi app and still fails to discover it....

Hummm yes shall try the local Orbi web portal when im on-site and report back.

The other thing is those satellites "had" rings and hives connected to them and now they all connect to the RBRE960  router wifi instead I checked this via the connection manager and it plays into the theme something is up with the RBRE960 router, I mean why would those satellites not have the local devices connected to them instead?

All lights on the satellites are off too indicating they're running ok

Message 17 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Tried my daughters iPhone on iOS 15.6.1 and still finds the Orbi as offline with anywhere access.

My bets are on the RBRE960 router.

• It's dropped it's satellites
  • doesn't find them when trying to resynch one of them
  • doesn't connect to the secure cloud /or some issue associated with that

I have the pro extended support their advice seemed to be re-flashing it but being an engineer it makes me wonder why? how? what caused this?

Can it be hacked?

Does it have an inbound firewall to block all ports?

Message 18 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

@uk_orbi wrote:

I have the pro extended support their advice seemed to be re-flashing it but being an engineer it makes me wonder why? how? what caused this? Ever since the first IBM PC (1982), the "last resort" has always been, "wipe it and start over." 

Can it be hacked? Damn difficult.

Does it have an inbound firewall to block all ports? Absolutely. Netgear routers reject all connections except for those that the user has specified using Port Forwarding.  Every Internet of Things device opens an outgoing connection to its Cloud.

Every update to iOS brings new adventures.

Message 19 of 26
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @uk_orbi ,

Thank you for your post!

I understand that you are having issues with Anywhere Access on your Orbi app version 2.21.0.329 with iOS 16.1. 

Please PM the following information so I can endorse you to our support team:

Name:
Email:
Phone Number:
Device Model:
Firmware:
Serial Number:
Preferred time to be contacted:
App version:

Please provide this information as soon as possible!
I look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 20 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

yeah was thinking the same as rings/hives outbound to the cloud first to prevent extra user port-forwarding nats and unnecessary security holes being opened up!

I might just re-flash and see how that goes, im hoping the rings and hive hubs re-connected without any issues thereafter (the rings use the default wifi creds in any case and post factory reset, the hives use a wired connections to the router and satellites respectively).

Thanks for lending a hand man appreciate it!

Message 21 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

Support Case ##########

Message 22 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

So I went to site today to check web access after passing the default credentials page it asked me city of birth and mothers maiden name for which it didn't accept on a number of occasions (I wouldn't have put anything else) so I'm wondering the router was hacked and sabotaged that or it's had some major failure with it's software/hardware.

Just seems like I need to start again with it and re-flash it, Netgear pro support have been useless promised call backs yesterday and today received nothing!!

Message 23 of 26
CrimpOn
Guru

The Password Recovery feature has been a complicated issue for some time.  I, myself, had an experience with it.  After having the admin password rejected three times in a row, the Password Recovery page popped up.  I entered the router serial number, and it rejected every attempt to "answer the questions."

Finally, I did a Factory Reset, and this time I was very deliberate about entering the recovery questions. i.e.:

• Click on the "Down arrow" to expose all the questions
  • Select a question
  • Enter the response

After completing the process, clicking Apply to ensure that it was all done.

Then I tested the process.  Entered incorrect password three time. Did Password Recovery, and it worked!

My conclusion was that somehow I had not actually created password recovery responses the first time, and thus the router had nothing to compare my answers against.  A frustrating experience.

Message 24 of 26
uk_orbi
Aspirant

that makes sense and prob the most likely reason it didn't accept my responses.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7