Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40V & Orbi App refuse to apply Amazon connection

ErdeDrache
Aspirant

RBS40V & Orbi App refuse to apply Amazon connection

RBS40V, firmware V2.6.2.8

RBR50 router, firmware V2.7.3.22

"Kindly launch the Orbi App > tap Voice Controls > Details > Amazon Account. Please check if you are still logged into your Amazon Account. "

Orbi App > tap Voice Controls > Details > Amazon Account =

"amazon alexa

Add Alexa to your Orbi voice

Alexa lets you use your voice to

get the news, sport sores, the weather

and more-all hands free. All you have to

do is ask Alexa. Connect your Amazon

account to access personalized features.

[Login with Amazon]"

Which I do, and it brings up a lovely browser window, where I ALLOW the joining in wedlock of these two delightful products.  Then I come back to the Orbi App asking me to select a language, fearing that hell will rip open on Earth and the crevice will be beneath my feet if I select anything other than English (US), I select that and tap NEXT.  I get a little pop up in the orbi app saying "Almost there... We're applying your Orbi Voice settings." with a lovely progress bar that moves, and a nice spinny above that.  And yet, every time that bar gets from left to right, it informs me that it was "Unable to Apply Settings.  We are having trouble applying your Orbi Voice settings. Try again, or setup later. [OK]"

I have restarted the Orbi Voice several times, I have uninstalled the Amazon shopping app from my phone, restarted Orbi Voice, tried again. Uninstalled Alexa app from my phone, restarted Orbi Voice, tried again. Uninstalled and reinstalled Orbi App, restarted Orbi Voice, tried again.

I have tried using the Orbi web management tools, but that left me in the cold dark places of nowhere.

Please, tell me there is a solution (like doing a secure shell in, then opening vi and just adjusting a single line of text in one file that makes all the difference...).
Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBS40V & Orbi App refuse to apply Amazon connection

@ErdeDrache wrote:
Please, tell me there is a solution (like doing a secure shell in, then opening vi and just adjusting a single line of text in one file that makes all the difference...).

Wish that were possible. Unlike the original Orbi router & satellite, which can enable telnet, the RBS40V appears to be built on a different platform and there is (so far) no known method to open a command window.

I have two RBS40V units and setting up the Amazon account was so long ago that I have forgotten exactly how it worked.  By any chance do you remember if the smartphone is connected to the RBS40V when attempting the Alexa login... or to the router?

Message 2 of 7
ErdeDrache
Aspirant

It appears to be connecting to the device itself, but short of throwing a packet analyzer on to the phone to determine exactly what route each object is taking, I am only making an educated guess.

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Both the Orbi web administration Attached Devices (http://orbilogin.net ) and the Orbi 'app' Connected Devices show which Orbi unit every device is attached/connected to.  My practice is to take new WiFi devices out of the box and connect them to WiFi in the same room with the Orbi router and my desktop computer, so that I can observe the Attached Devices display, often assign an IP to the MAC address, and get things working before moving the new device to a permanent location.  I seem to remember that both RBS40V's were put on the network this way, but that I did not turn on the Alexa function until some time later.

I also remember being a bit surprised that the 2nd RBS40V did not automatically inherit the Amazon Alexa information from the first one.

What I have no memory of is where I was in the house when configuring Alexa on the RBS40V, and so was my phone connected directly to the RBS40V, or was it connected to some other Orbi unit and relying on the Orbi app and the system to get the information to the right unit.

If this is a recent purchase, then Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' to get it working.

On the Netgear support web page, after registering the product, there is a link to "Contact Support."

(most of us on the forum are jealous of anyone who is able to 'contact support', as our 90 days expired years ago.)

Message 4 of 7
ErdeDrache
Aspirant

I was an idiot, and had let my former roommates setup the orbi devices that i had bought as they were the ones paying for the data connection.  I had requested that they connect it to my amazon account and had even given access to my amazon account to do this - they never did, they instead connected it to their amazon account but since I never used any of the ordering capabilities I hadn't realized this until AFTER I moved out.  I have even gone so far as to try a virtual android environment in case it was my phone that was the problem, I could only wish.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Then a Factory Reset on the RBS40V should "wipe out" the current Amazon settings, right?

p.s.  and, yes. sharing Amazon account information was not exactly the smartest thing you could have done.

Message 6 of 7
ErdeDrache
Aspirant

Oh how I wish it had, but it didn't.  It is a twisted little hunk of @#$!.  I've no understanding why the factory reset only cleared it enough for it be considered a freely available satellite but did not clear the amazon portion. No, I specifically had to ask the lads to release it as it would not even let me attempt to add my account.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7