Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Admin Password not recognised by App

DirtyDozen
Aspirant

Router Admin Password not recognised by App

I have set up my Orbi system and all is working fine including log in via the web, however I installed the App on my iphone and it will not accept my router admin password. I have changed the password from the default via the web and it includes special characters, but when I put that into the app it says it accepts only alphanumerics. Do I have to reset my router admin password to only alphanumerics?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DirtyDozen
Aspirant

Re: Router Admin Password not recognised by App

I have stumbled across the problem, it did not like the GBP sign £, removed that and substituted another special character and all is well ! Maybe something to do with leaving the EU but now the App connects no problem.

Fixed

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Access using the web browser again does not accept the changed password?

If yes - revert the password to something more common (that's more or less the ones from lower seven bits of the ASCII char set).

If no - you are busted, time for a factory reset.

@Christian_R time for another problem report. Web UI password change must prohibit characters (not just strip these!) to values acceptable by all services in the Orbi system, including the App, SMB, ...

Message 2 of 6
DirtyDozen
Aspirant

No problem accessing via the web browser.

Don't fancy doing a factory reset, sods law dictates that 'as everything apart from the App is working fine right now, nothing will work after a reset !'.

Easier to go with the flow and remove all the special characters from my password and see what happens then, but I thought I would at least highlight the issue here.

Message 3 of 6
DirtyDozen
Aspirant

Just discovered my Firmware was massively out of date, thought that may have something to do with this issue. Now fully up to date and went to alter the password and it specifically asks for special characters, tried again with the app and it still won't accept special characters.

Message 4 of 6
DirtyDozen
Aspirant

I have stumbled across the problem, it did not like the GBP sign £, removed that and substituted another special character and all is well ! Maybe something to do with leaving the EU but now the App connects no problem.

Fixed

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@DirtyDozen wrote:

I have stumbled across the problem, it did not like the GBP sign £, removed that and substituted another special character and all is well!

This is a complex thing ... the £ was never a printable ASCII lower 7-bit char, it was a variant of the ASCII charset where the # was substituted by the £.  most likely, the GBP sign is encoded in UTF8 these days, and this is not (really) supported spanning over all products and apps.

The problem is that Netgear badly suffers from standardisation, and then from proper input field evaluation and filtering according to their specs and standards.

@DirtyDozen wrote:

Maybe something to do with leaving the EU but now the App connects no problem.

You should have tried the € sign instead at least - coming from the land of CHF I think I'm allowed to state this 8-)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7