Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sky Q WiFi connection to Orbi keeps dropping

Ssm
Follower
Follower

Sky Q WiFi connection to Orbi keeps dropping

Hi all,

Im from UK and bought RBK50 two days ago and my Sky Q and Sky Q Mini WiFi keeps on disconnecting from Orbi.

My current setup is the following

Sky router’s WiFi has been disabled and I’ve set up Orbi to bridge mode instead of AP mode as Sky’s router doesn’t have a Bridge/modem mode.

MIMO, Fast Roaming & Implicit Beamforming are turned on.

I don’t want turn on my Sky WiFi just for the Sky Q and Sky Q mini to work and my Orbi isn’t close so I can’t connect Ethernet to it.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you guys fix it.

Thanks,
Sumit
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
MN1504
Aspirant

Re: Sky Q WiFi connection to Orbi keeps dropping

Hi,

I also have experienced these problems with Sky Q fairly recently.  I have had my Orbi since March 2017 with an additional satellite and never had an issue until recently.

My setup is:

• TP-Link Archer VR900 AC1900 connected to BT Infinity, with WiFi switched off
  • Orbi RBR50 in AP mode
  • Sky Q with 4 mini's

My TP-Link Archer had a hardware failure and BT sent me a Smart Hub2.  These issues began before I got my BT SH2, but beware, the BT SH2 is not compatible with Sky Q and they are working on a fix.  You think the Orbi is bad, try this!  I have replaced it with another Archer V900 as i know this works.

However, this has not solved my problems and I have tried moving Sky Q and Orbi to different wireless channels so they don't conflict and all sorts of other chnages. For whatever reason, my Sky Q will not see the Archer's WiFi network!  I reached out to the Sky Q community to help me here, but even they've run out of ideas:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sky-Q-connection-issues/m-p/3111388#M255610

Looks like there could be a similar firmware issue that BT have with Sky Q's solution, but until a Sky engineer comes along, then I don't know.  None of my other equipment drops off from the Orbi, that I've noticed so think it's a Sky Q/Orbi compatibility issue liek the BT SH2/Sky Q issue!

The main resolution is to hardwire Sky Q using ethernet cables, but as my Orbi is in another room to my Sky Q, I'd have to purchase Powerline adapters and don't really want to spend money on this as Orbi is meant to solve for all this

If anyone has any similar issues or knows what the issue is and what the resolutuion is, that would be great!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7