Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switching from Orbi 5 to Orbi 6 HELP

FirstCup
Guide

Switching from Orbi 5 to Orbi 6 HELP

I have recently set up an Orbi 5 system, RBR50v2 router with 2 satellites RBS50v2, its working great. This is a rural farm property so I want to switch this over to the Orbi 6, RBR850 router with 2 satellites RBS850 to increse the range.?? I already have the 6 infront of me now. My (big) question concerns using the orbi app with two wifi systems 1000 miles apart. Will the orbi app control two accounts? What is the best way to do this? delete the orbi app from my iphone and remove all my orbi 5 devices. Reinstal the orbi app and set up the orbi 6 system? I will not be using the orbi 5 for the next 6 months until I reinstal it at the other location so that can be ignored for the time being. Trying to keep this simple. Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Switching from Orbi 5 to Orbi 6 HELP

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi App product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi App and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

For Orbi AX help and information, please visit the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@FirstCup wrote:

I have recently set up an Orbi 5 system, RBR50v2 router with 2 satellites RBS50v2, its working great. This is a rural farm property so I want to switch this over to the Orbi 6, RBR850 router with 2 satellites RBS850 to increse the range.?? I already have the 6 infront of me now. My (big) question concerns using the orbi app with two wifi systems 1000 miles apart. Will the orbi app control two accounts? What is the best way to do this? delete the orbi app from my iphone and remove all my orbi 5 devices. Reinstal the orbi app and set up the orbi 6 system? I will not be using the orbi 5 for the next 6 months until I reinstal it at the other location so that can be ignored for the time being. Trying to keep this simple. Thanks

Any increase in range is likely to come from the 5G WiFi AX backhaul allowing the satellites to be placed farther from the router.

The Orbi app can have only one Netgear account, but can be used to administer several Orbi systems.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Just as a P.S. there are numerous things that cannot be done with the Orbi 'app'. I also am responsible for an Orbi that is 3,000 miles away and set up OpenVPN so that I can get into the Orbi web interface remotely.  That is also the reason that system remains on firmware 2.3.5.0 (from 2019).  Not about to do a firmware update when I cannot physically touch the router.  From comments that have been posted, the AX systems appear to update firmware automatically (and without warning), so it is good that the AX system will be close to you.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7