Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to connect to Orbi RBR750

MMcD
Guide

Unable to connect to Orbi RBR750

Last night one of our streaming devices said it was offline so I checked the Orbi app on my iPhone to see the network status. 

It said it was unable to find the Orbi router.  It did find the two satellites, however.

I then went to my desktop and tried to connect using orbilogin.com and .net.  No luck. 

I also tried the two IP address methods. No luck either. So at this point I can't access the router from my phone

nor from my Windows PC. 

All was well until last evening.  We were continually receiving notices via the Orbi iOS app about various security situations.

Any idea on how to get into the router again?   The internet is working just find, both wired and over wifi. 

But I'm unable to perform any router admin tasks.

Should I just restore factory defaults at this point? Or has the router been compromised in some way?

Router:  RBR750

Firmware:  V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

iOS: 15.4.1

PC is on Windows 11 Home.

Thanks for whatever advice you might have!

Mark

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@MMcD wrote:

UPDATE:

I waited almost two weeks to see if the problem would fix itself (I never lost internet access so I could afford to wait).  No luck, so today I resolved to follow the instructions to reset the router.

I decided to try to login from my desktop one last time using 192.168.1.1 and it worked!  So I guess something was indeed fixed remotely.

So I didn't have to reset the router and all the rest.

The Orbi app on my iPhone still wouldn't work (didn't find the router) but logging out and back in fixed that also!

Hurray! 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

we've seen this a lot lately. 

Some were fixed with simply disabling icloud relay and private mac/ip address. 

Others needed to do a full factory reset and reinstall. 

Others have decided to wait to see if a new firmware/app would fix the issue. 

Kind of up to you which route you'd like to take. 

Message 2 of 15
MasakiKoi
Star

Netgear is fully aware of the problem.  Netgear if you are reading this.....The new Orbi app update for the iPhone last night 5/12/22 did NOT solve the problem!!!!.

Message 3 of 15
MasakiKoi
Star

Orbi app update version 2.17.0.171 (5/12/2022).

Message 4 of 15
MMcD
Guide

Thanks for the quick response!

I just checked and my phone didn't have iCloud relay activated.  I then disabled the private mac/ip feature and the app still can't find the router.  But would either of those explain why I can't get in from a Windows PC?

I don't mind waiting at the moment.  We still have full internet service.  But will the firmware update happen by itself?  I can't get into the router to check for updates and install them. 

One final question: what do we lose, if anything, by doing a full reset?  I guess we will need to reconnect devices using the restored default password.  Is that about it?

Mark

Message 5 of 15
MMcD
Guide

Thanks for the tip about updating the Orbi app.  I'm still on an older version.

But I don't think this explains why I can't get into the router from Windows 11.  (Or does it?)

Message 6 of 15
MasakiKoi
Star

I am using a Mac and also not able to login.

Message 7 of 15
Coffeecup
Star

I was in the same boat about waiting for FW upgrade. I got tired of waiting even though my WiFi worked but no Orbi app functionality.  I crossed my fingers and did the factory reset. You can keep the same SSID and password after the reset ( initially you'll be using the default SSID and password on the back of you Orbi). I also deleted and reinstalled iPhone Orbi app and made my iPhone "forget" my current SSID. My rational was that the new reinstalled Orbi app would connect easier to the Orbi default SSID. Sorry for the divergence but to answer your question, all your devices should connect as long as you use your same SSID and password.

Message 8 of 15
MMcD
Guide

Thanks, Coffeecup. That is all very reassuring!

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 15
MMcD
Guide

Thanks for the update.

What is the "RBS" mentioned the article?  The satellites?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Only effects the RBR. However when users downgrade the RBS will need to be downgraded first as well, then downgrade the RBRs FW lastly. RBR and RBS need to keep on same version of FW. 

Message 12 of 15
MMcD
Guide

UPDATE:

I waited almost two weeks to see if the problem would fix itself (I never lost internet access so I could afford to wait).  No luck, so today I resolved to follow the instructions to reset the router.

I decided to try to login from my desktop one last time using 192.168.1.1 and it worked!  So I guess something was indeed fixed remotely.

The Orbi app on my iPhone still wouldn't work (didn't find the router) but logging out and back in fixed that also!

Hurray! 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@MMcD wrote:

UPDATE:

Hurray! 

Message 14 of 15
MMcD
Guide

Done!  Thanks again for the help.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation