Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown Amazon and Ring devices on my network

DelegatorNH
Tutor

Unknown Amazon and Ring devices on my network

I have an RBR50 with 3 satellites in my mesh network. Checking today, I notice two devices connected that I don't own: supposedly a Ring Video Doorbell, and something just called Amazon.

I paused both of these devices, but I also noticed several inactive Ring devices -- a total of 7 unique MAC addressesacross both my router and one satellite. The MAC addresses all check out as being in the range for Ring devices, but our neighbors are all 200+ feet from any satellite (let alone the router, which is in my basement) so I really have to wonder whether these devices truly are RIng doorbells and who owns them.

Given that I don't have a public network (both my main network and my guest network have passwords), I'm wondering

1. How are these devices connecting, and
  2. How to prevent this in the future?

I am changing my guest network password (which I don't believe any of my neighbors had anyway, but just in case). But, how can I even tell whether these devices were connected to my main network or my guest network? And can I block devices based on MAC address via the Orbi app? Because I couldn't find a way to do so.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Unknown Amazon and Ring devices on my network

I cannot promise that this is the answer to your questions, but...

The Orbi system remembers every device that has ever connected successfully (until it restarts).  When my family comes to visit after being gone for a full year, their tablets and phones connect immediately to my Orbi because (a) their devices remember every device they have connected to and (b) my Orbi remembers that they have been allowed to connect.  I opened the Orbi app and found 128 devices, even though only 38 were actually connected!

One of the new seccurity features (that drives me nuts) is that some devices make up a new (fake) MAC address every time they connect to a new WiFi system.  I have never heard of Ring devices doing this, but Apple, Android, Mac, Windows, and some Linux systems have this as the default setting now.  Every time they connect with a new MAC, DHCP gives them a new IP address. I had one Raspberry Pi get four IP's before I figured out what was going on.

Nothing can connect unless it has the correct password.  That is a fact.

Message 2 of 4
DelegatorNH
Tutor

Thanks -- it could well be that MAC address morphing is at work. But is there any way to tell whether these devices connected to my main or my guest network? 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes. Both the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) and the Orbi 'app' clearly indicate when devices are connected to the Guest network.

(see attached screen shot of web interface)

The app puts Guest devices in a separate list from the primary network.

Of course, if these devices are not currently connected, they won't show on any network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7