Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updated Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 to 2.7.2.104 - Satellite Link Rate issue now

orbcad
Guide

Updated Orbi RBR50 and RBS50 to 2.7.2.104 - Satellite Link Rate issue now

Updated to latest firmware as per the update notification. All went well. However one issue that has started is all the devices that connect to the RBS50 satellite show a link rate of N/A.

In addition the signal strength for all the devices are maxed out and I know before I had 3-4 devices that showed two bars in the Orbi app.

All the devices work fine - speeds and such. My question is, anyone else have this issue? Reboot did nothing and I don't want to factory reset unless someone knows that this is the fix.

I saw some older posts about this happening to some people but the Link Rate for them was showing some crazy high value, not N/A.

Any thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 16
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

I believe that would be a reboot......Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 16
orbcad
Guide

So I decided to try and factory reset the satellite. Got the paperclip out and held down the button for 30 seconds. The back light flashed amber and it rebooted. But did not factory reset. It just reconnected to the router the same way it would when you simply rebooted it. The satellite name is still showing the custom one I provided it and nothing changed.

Figuring maybe I did something wrong, I tried to reset the satellite to factory settings a second, third and fourth time all with the same result. It refuses to factory reset. It just simply reboots and reconnects to the router. Looking around the forums I see some others reporting that they were also unable to reset their satellites and I don't see a solution.

Is there another way to reset to factory settings that Netgear has failed to mention? I am perplexed as to why the pin reset doesn't work and somewhat concerned that I will never be able to factory reset this thing.

Message 4 of 16
vajim
Master

I did this awhile back 

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

from what I remember it's all done at the router then you log back in using the info provided on the router so you can change the network name and password 

I believe the sats just followed the router 

Message 5 of 16
orbcad
Guide

Maybe that's the issue...the satellite grabs its info from the main router when it's been reset so the only way to truly reset it is to also reset the router which I did not want to do.

I honestly don't know if the issue with the link rate being "n/a" only on the satellite is an issue. Like I said earlier, everything seems to be working fine but I really hate not seeing true wifi signal level and link rates for devices on my satellite. I just hope the system is hopping from satellite to router and vice versa based on signal strength and not locking devices to the satellite because it thinks it is getting a "100%" signal lock on it (which is what it looks like according to the app). 

Thanks for the info to everyone that has responded. If you know of anything else that I can do to fix this, please let me know. I assume this is not a firmware problem as everyone else would be complaining about it too. Not sure why it only impacted me. I hope it fixes itself with the next update because it's annoying to say the least. 

Message 6 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@orbcad wrote:

Updated to latest firmware as per the update notification. All went well. However one issue that has started is all the devices that connect to the RBS50 satellite show a link rate of N/A.

My experience as well. WiFi devices connected to the RBS50 show link rate of "N/A" while devices connected to the RBR50 and to the RBS40V show actual link rates.

Message 7 of 16
alokeprasad
Mentor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@orbcad wrote:

My experience as well. WiFi devices connected to the RBS50 show link rate of "N/A" while devices connected to the RBR50 and to the RBS40V show actual link rates.

Where do you see the link rates of attached devices?

All I see in "Attached Devices" on the web interface is "wired" or "2.4G" or "5G" doe each device.

For example:

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

They are referrging to the Orbi App. 

I see same thing in the Orbi App, link rate is NA. 

Message 9 of 16
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

How can you be so sure?

Message 10 of 16
vajim
Master

@orbcad wrote:

Maybe that's the issue...the satellite grabs its info from the main router when it's been reset so the only way to truly reset it is to also reset the router which I did not want to do.

And how do you propose to do that?

is that step covered in the netgear video?

Message 11 of 16
alokeprasad
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't see link rates in the iOS app. I could post screenshots ..

Maybe it is an Android app only feature.  iOS blocks many low-level info from 3rd party apps.

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Select on a device in the app and Link rate is towards th bottom of it's information screen on the app. 

@alokeprasad wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I don't see link rates in the iOS app. I could post screenshots ..

Maybe it is an Android app only feature.  iOS blocks many low-level info from 3rd party apps.

Message 13 of 16
alokeprasad
Mentor

I see it now.  Strange that some info is on the app but not the web interface ...

A few observations (all for WiFi connected devices):

• Devices connected to the RBS don't show the link speed.
  • One device connected to the RBR shows "inactive" but is clearly connected and active. 

PS: When I checked 10 mins later, it was shown as active and had a link speed.

The attached devices feature, at least on the app, is touvh and miss.  It also depends on when the app polls the network for traffic from the devices.

Message 14 of 16
GenFgts
Initiate

Yeah latest update 2.7.2.104 using the app when doing speed test through app don’t show latency (ping) no more
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 15 of 16
WHTMTN
Tutor

Having the same link rate na issue on satellite connected devices having recently updated the orbi rbr50 firmware to 2.7.2.104. Also not getting a ping stat on the in app speed test. How they release these without testing is beyond me. This is such an obivious error. Come on Netgear. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7