Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Web Connection Ok, but App says Can't Connect and Offline

amweiss
Tutor

Web Connection Ok, but App says Can't Connect and Offline

I have an RBR 850, bought one year ago, and was working fine until last week.  What is strange is that the orbi mobile app says it can't connect and it's offline but the web interfaces say all is good.   Here's the problem, since the orbi mobile app version can't connect it means that my mobile phone is worthless since no app on the phone can connect to the internet.  The phone doesn't work nor any app on my phone (mail, etc.). This condition prevails until the orbi app says it connects again (which is about every half hour or so and connects for about 20 minutes and then says its offline and can't connect.  All the while, our computers connect just fine to the internet.  More info:

V4.6.8.2_2.1.9

mobile phone - latest iphone

I find this situation reallly strange and will find another router if this one can't be fixed.

Any ideas what is going on is appreciated.  Thanks

Message 1 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

one more piece of info...I thought originally the problem was with my iPhone, but the problem shows up on all the other mobile devices connected to this router

Message 2 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

I turned off Limit IP Address Tracking and Priviate W-Fi Address.  It still goes periodlcally in into offline mode.  Unfortunately, but this is the case.

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Local Network enabled for the Orbi app on the mobile device? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 5 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

answering again since it doesn't appear my recent response was posted.

Yes, local network is turned on for the Orbi app

again, my modem is the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Has Orbi app been updated? 

Current version I believe is v2.18.1.3 for Apple devices. 

Message 7 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

yes, running the most recent version 2.18.1.3 of the orbi app and the iphone has newest os version.

Message 8 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@amweiss wrote:

one more piece of info...I thought originally the problem was with my iPhone, but the problem shows up on all the other mobile devices connected to this router

(Just an observation......) It appears that the discussion has focused on

• iPhone network options (which comes up frequently on the forum) and
  • The Orbi 'app' not connecting (which is also a frequent topic on the forum)

When the root problem might be "something else". 

Can you please identify the "other mobile devices" that exhibit this behavior?

• Are they all Apple devices?
  • Is it all devices connected with WiFi, or just phones/tablets?
    (i.e. laptops, cameras, thermostats, smart plugs, etc. connected over WiFi remain OK?
Message 9 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

We have about 40 things connected wirelessly, but the only items that lose connections are the iphones.  We have mac deskiop computers, MacBook Airs and tablets and these don't lose connections.

Message 10 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@amweiss wrote:

We have about 40 things connected wirelessly, but the only items that lose connections are the iphones.  We have mac deskiop computers, MacBook Airs and tablets and these don't lose connections.

Sounds like the focus on iPhone is correct.  Does the phenomenon persist when the Orbi app is not running?  i.e. the iPhone loses WiFi connection and then spontaneously regains it, over and over?

Message 11 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

yes, it happens whether the orbi is running or not...since my wife has an iphone that doesn't have the orbi app on it and it will connection for several minutes at a time.

Message 12 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

and, of course, this happens only when connected to this particular WiFi network?

Never when connected to any other WiFi network?

Message 13 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

right...it never happens on any other wireless network other than the Orbi - also, this didn't happen during the first year of owning the ORBI, just started happening a few weeks ago.

Message 14 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@amweiss wrote:

right...it never happens on any other wireless network other than the Orbi - also, this didn't happen during the first year of owning the ORBI, just started happening a few weeks ago.

Does the iPhone keep a record of when iOS was updated?  Would be quite a coincidence if things went all to hell at that time.

(my Samsung [Android] tablet was updated on July 8, 2022 at 8:39am)

Message 15 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

I’ll check this out and get back here tomorrow. Thanks so much
Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 17 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

Modem is ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem

all satellites are placed as per the link you gave...house is 3500 sq feet.  Again, this only happens with iphones..not any laptops or desktops...just iPhones all running the latest OS.  This doesn't happen on any other wireless system...only with Orbi

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF one RBS and run just the RBR and 1 RBS only? 

I would try running the RBR transmit power at 50% as well. 

Might try setting manual channel 1 and 40 and set CTS from 64 to 500 or try 2347.

Message 19 of 20
amweiss
Tutor

First of all, I want to thank you for providing all of these possible solutions to my problem.  Right now, I have re-synced the satellites and will try your last suggestion if this doesn't work.  Again, thanks a lot.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7