Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iOS Orbi app not showing attached devices (RBK853)

SwiftyD
Tutor

iOS Orbi app not showing attached devices (RBK853)

Hello. I just purchased the Orbi RBK853 system, updated to latest firmware version (v3.2.15.25). While the network seems to be working fine, the iOS Orbi App (v2.5.2.1) does not show attached devices (while the web interface does). I read that the system may need 'settle' for a bit. Yet, it has been over 48 hours and the devices still do not show up. Any thoughts how to fix this?

Message 1 of 9
tantrum
Apprentice

My similar problems were resolved with the recent firmware updates (the one you're on now, and the one before it), however there may still be some related issue.

You say the web interface shows the devices; if you click on each one, can you check if any of the fields contain any non-alphanumeric characters?

In my case the ampersand '&' character in a device manufacturer name was breaking the XML format that the app reads/writes to (I had to escape or replace it and save in the web app, and then everything showed up in the devices list on the app).

There can be other parts of XML entity names that might be breaking it that weren't fixed, like greater/less than characters, single/double quote characters, or more if they happen to be in the wrong place of the data the app receives.

So a quick check through each connected device on the web app and replacing/saving any non-alphanumeric character instances you find could help confirm or rule out if that's still an issue in some cases.

Beyond that, if you're familiar with it (or feeling adventurous enough), running a tool like Fiddler on a machine and setting your IOS device to use it as a proxy, would allow Filddler to show you the data the app is requesting/receiving to spot any oddities or error codes the app isn't displaying.

Message 2 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SwiftyD, 

Welcome to the community! May you perform a factory reset on the Orbi units and run through the setup assistant again. Please let me know how this turns out.

Christian 

Message 3 of 9
tantrum
Apprentice

I replied on this thread before @Christian_R and now my post is gone.  The reply was in order to offer help for the issue (having experienced something similar before).  Why was it removed?  I don't believe there were any violations present.

Message 4 of 9
SwiftyD
Tutor

Hi Tantrum - I did greatly appreciate your response and i did get your message through the email notification. Perhaps your post was removed because you made a reference to a 'tool'. In any case, I looked at the names of my devices and there are no unusual characters included. 

I haven't done a full router factory reset yet, but I did reinstall the satelittes after factory-resetting them. This did not work. In another thread I read that updating the firmware manually, even with the same version as I already have, solved it for some users. Unfortunately, while I can manually log into the router, I am unable to log in manually into the satellites. For some reason the admin/password of my router is not accepted by the satellites. It probably is a firmware issue and hopefully a future version will solve it. I don't know if this is region specific or not (I am based in Asia). In any case, after spending a significant sum of $$ one would expect that all aspects of the system would work, but no. At least the network itself is running fine.

Message 5 of 9
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@tantrum - Thanks for letting me know and providing a possible resolution. Please let me know if you're able to see your response now.

@SwiftyD - Please let me know if you're still experiencing issues after a factory reset.

Christian 

Message 6 of 9
MITO33
Aspirant

Attached devices were not showing up for me either (RBK852 with V3.2.15.25_1.3.15 firmware) even though I could see them using the web tool on orbilogin.com.

The iOS Orbi app update released today seems to have fixed this problem and I can now see and control access to the attached devices on my phone.

Message 7 of 9
SwiftyD
Tutor

Hi all. Here an update:

- The full factory reset of router and both satellites did not solve the issue.

- After updating the Orbi app to v2.5.3.18, I am able to see, and manage, the connected devices under 'Device Manager'. The devices still do not show in the 'Network Map' but I guess that is not a big deal.

Message 8 of 9
relberfeld
Apprentice

i just installed armor on rbr50 current firmware and after a lot of "scanning" now orbi doesnt show ANY devices in the list.  gets an error "cannot contact server" when attempting to display devices.  clearly an armo/orbi issue because I reset to factory - brought up without armor then no issue..  activated armor and it started again.

when will netgear fix this continuing issue with the app and server ?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7