Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi app reinstallation

ken_pa
Aspirant

orbi app reinstallation

I have a well working orbi system with one router and four satellites. For some reason my orbi app on my iphone stopped showing connected devices even though it says there are 13 devices connected on the main screen. I removed the app and reinstalled the app on my phone. When I started the app it tries to reinstall the entire system, which I don't want. Is there a way to link the newly installed app to the well-working orbi system without going through the new system set up?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ken_pa, 

Are you still experiencing this? If so, may you provide us with the current app version installed. 

Thank you,

Christian 

Message 2 of 19
ken_pa
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, I still have the problem. I could not link my existing Orbi network to the app after I reinstalled the app on my iPhone. It simply does not have an option to link. Instead it force me to reinstall the system starting with resetting cable modem, where I stopped going further as I did not want to reinstall the system from scratch as the system is working fine and I can adminiter it through my PC. However, it would be handy to have Orbi app working on my iPhon.

The version of Orbi app is 2.7.0

Thanks,

Ken

Message 3 of 19
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Ken, 

May you send me a private message with your email address and serial number of the the Orbi router. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 4 of 19
Guy-named-Eric
Aspirant

Hello,
I have an ORBI 750 router with 2 ORBI satellite routers. I’ve had problems on multiple occasions with the ORBI app unable to find internet after reinstalling on my iPhone 11 promax and iPad Pro 12.9 latest model and had to setup system as new. Major pain for $500 spent. Did anyone ever figure out how to re-sign into app without setting up as new?
Message 5 of 19
Agatl1
Aspirant

Christian, I have the same issue on a Pixel 5 (current android version).  I have an SRR60 with V2.5.2.104 firmware. I can access via web interface OK, but I had to reinstall the Orbi app on my phone because it wouldn't connect. I reinstalled the app and logged in to my NG account.  But the app only offers me the option to configure my Orbi from scratch... obviously not what I want to do.

Is there a solution? I supposed I could do a basic config and the restore my current router settings from a backup, but that seems like taking on unneccesary risk.  I have 3 satellites, an MAC control list for my IOT SSID, and some other settings I don't want to have to recreate.

Thank, Alan

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't get the system setup using the Orbi app, It's highly recommended to set up any Orbi system with a wired/wireless PC or laptop and web browser first. Once it's set up, then sign into the Orbi system with the Orbi app on a mobile device.

Message 7 of 19
William_Mo
Aspirant

Hi  Ken_Pa,  

I have the same problem to  connect to the existing Orbi network afer reinstalling the Orbi app, which required to reintall the Orbi Network.

Just wonder if  you manage to connect your Orbi app without reinstalling the Orbi network?

Thanks

Bills

Message 8 of 19
Guy-named-Eric
Aspirant

Hello, I gave up on ORBI. Returned it and got a nighthawk. It is slower than ORBI but 100% more reliable.
Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't get the system setup using the Orbi app, It's highly recommended to set up any Orbi system with a wired/wireless PC or laptop and web browser first. Once it's set up, then sign into the Orbi system with the Orbi app on a mobile device.

@William_Mo wrote:

Hi  Ken_Pa,  

I have the same problem to  connect to the existing Orbi network afer reinstalling the Orbi app, which required to reintall the Orbi Network.

Just wonder if  you manage to connect your Orbi app without reinstalling the Orbi network?

Thanks

Bills

Message 10 of 19
William_Mo
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38, 

Thank you for your resonse.  Probably, with the details of the issue may help to clarify the problem:

I have set up the Orbi network since November 2020. I had installed the Orbi app on the smartphone to manage it as well. Two days ago, I deleted the Orbi app from the Smartphone, and reinstalled it. Then I couldn't connect back to the Orbi network, it kept asking to perform new networks setup. The existing network is working fine and stable, thus I don't want to go through the setup again which may introduce other problems.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you walk thru the setup on the app using same configuration values used currently on the working system? 

@William_Mo wrote:

Hi Furrye38, 

Thank you for your resonse.  Probably, with the details of the issue may help to clarify the problem:

I have set up the Orbi network since November 2020. I had installed the Orbi app on the smartphone to manage it as well. Two days ago, I deleted the Orbi app from the Smartphone, and reinstalled it. Then I couldn't connect back to the Orbi network, it kept asking to perform new networks setup. The existing network is working fine and stable, thus I don't want to go through the setup again which may introduce other problems.

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Message 12 of 19
William_Mo
Aspirant

I went through the motion following the steps (i.e not re-setup the network from scratch), but have no avail. 

The  Orbi app  seemed like looking for the default Orbi  SSID to login, which has been changed.  I supposed if there is away to direct the Orbi app to look for an separate SSID, may be the solution. 

My issues is like changing a new smartphone, install with  the Orbi app that cannot connect to the existing network.  This should be universal issue unless not many actually using the Orbi app to monitor and manager the network. 

Bills

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think this is a universal issue. I've set up two different Orbi systems using the RBRs web page first. Then once the system is setup. I can log into in using the Orbi app and it connects and goes to the home screen. Seems like something on the RBR maybe not fully set up and the Orbi app is detecting this thus causing it to want to walk thru the setup routine again. Or something in the app is getting hung up. 

Try a different mobile device to see if same thing happens. If it does, then you might want to do the following, save off a backup configuration to file on the RBR. Factory reset, either try the Orbi app and set up from scratch using the app or try setting up the RBR with a web browser and PC. Be sure to walk thru the setup wizard and complete that. You don't have to reset the RBS or re-add it. I would turn OFF the RBS before you reset the RBR. Use same SSID name and password for the wifi. Once you get it setup again, just turn ON the RBS and it will re-connect. 

Hopefully this should clear the Orbi app and should get past this setup that it wants to do.

Message 14 of 19
William_Mo
Aspirant

Thank for sharing your experience. 

Indeed, I couldn't log in via another device  as well. 

I have not login via the browser since I used the Orbi app in Nov 2020. However, I couldn't login via the browser using orbilogin.net now to backup the configuration.   I went through the following guide still have no avail.  I wonder you have any suggestion. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31142/Why-can-t-I-access-orbilogin-com-or-orbilogin-net

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset and set up from scratch using a web browser and PC. Be sure to walk thru the setup wizard and complete that. You don't have to reset the RBS or re-add it. I would turn OFF the RBS before you reset the RBR. Use same SSID name and password for the wifi. Once you get it setup again, just turn ON the RBS and it will re-connect. 

Hopefully this should clear the Orbi app and should get past this setup that it wants to do.

Message 16 of 19
William_Mo
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed steps and advice. 

Finally, system back to normal..

Appreciate the help. 

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 19
Warhawk94
Aspirant

To avoid others going through the painful process of factory resetting the router to get app access back.

• In the app, go to "New Setup".
  • Click "Get Started" on the next screen.
  • Instead of scanning your QR code though, do "Select Manually" at the bottom.
  • Select your respective product (for me this was the WiFi Orbi System).
  • Choose the number of Satellites (for me this was 3) and press "Continue".
  • Press continue through all the modem reset steps without doing it.
  • Skip the "Position Satellite" step by pressing Next but doing nothing (this is assuming your system is still up and running).
  • Once it finishes the "Powering Up" steps, it should advise you that you already have a setup and allow you to "Re-setup", "Skip", or one other option.
  • Press "Skip" and you should be good to go.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7