Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi rbk13 network orbi37 will not link with orbi app on iphone 8 IOS 15.4

cja2022
Aspirant

orbi rbk13 network orbi37 will not link with orbi app on iphone 8 IOS 15.4

I have made several setup attempts to get the orbi app to link with my orbi37 network that is up and working just fine.  All my devices are linked and working minus the Orbi app on my iPhone 8 (15.4). Any suggestions anyone?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the iPhone successfully connected to the Orbi WiFi system before opening the Orbi app?

The "good news" is that the Orbi app is entirely optional.  (The system will function perfectly well without it.)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the iPhone successfully connected to the Orbi WiFi system before opening the Orbi app?

The "good news" is that the Orbi app is entirely optional.  (The system will function perfectly well without it.)

Message 2 of 4
cja2022
Aspirant

Yes. It is connected and working.  Likewise, other devices connected and working well. Good point about the app not being a necessary.  Thanks

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

(My previous answer was perhaps not totally complete....)

Like those provided by ISP's, Orbi WiFi routers can be taken out of the box, installed, and used by customers using the WiFi broadcast name (SSID) and password printed on the product label.  Thousands of customers do this.

So, why would a customer want to administer the WiFi router?  There are a number of valid reasons:

• The customer wants to specify the WiFi system name and password rather than accept the default assigned by the manufacturer at the factory.  In my case, I change WiFi systems quite a bit, and each new WiFi is given exactly the same SSID & password as the one being replaced.
    • This allows all of my devices (40+) to connect automatically without me having to reconfigure each of them. And,
    • This allows me to "go back" and reinstall the previous WiFi system and have all devices connect automatically.
  • The customer may want to periodically 'check up' on which devices are connected to the WiFi system.
  • The customer may want to 'pause' or deny access to a specific device.  (Perhaps a futile attempt to control what or when some devices are used for.)
  • The ISP may require the customer to enter a user name and password to get access to the internet.
  • The customer may want to allow access to devices on his local network from the internet. Perhaps a web or media server. Perhaps an internet gaming server.
  • The customer may want to specify which Domain Name System (DNS) servers are used to resolve URLs into IP addresses.
  • The customer may want to assign IP addresses to specific devices.
  • The customer may want to create descriptive 'names' for devices that will be easy to read on system reports.
  • The customer may want to provide a way to access the local LAN when away from home. (OpenVPN)

Some of these tasks can be done using the Orbi 'app'.  Many of these tasks can be done only by accessing the Orbi web administration using a computer web browser.

When you come across a need to administer the Orbi, it will be necessary to use either the app or the web interface.

p.s. Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase. Most of us on the forum saw our 90 days expire years ago.  On the Netgear support site, there is a link toward the bottom to register your new product and a link to "Contact Support.

I would be fascinated to hear what Netgear support says about the Orbi app not being able to find the router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7