Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbisetup refusing to connect

gribeiro
Aspirant

orbisetup refusing to connect

Since 1 day ago I detected some strange behavior on my network, tried to access the setup on Orbi app, no success. Tried the orbisetup.net also without success. Tried adding as a new system, no. And last, tried a factory reset and it still can't connect. Any recommendation or is this a warranty situation?
Orbi RVK963S 6 months usage
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
gribeiro
Aspirant

Re: orbisetup refusing to connect

Hey, just left a 100 minutes call with Netgear support team. It's working now. The solution was:
Keep the reset button pressed 30 seconds, while still keeping it pressed turn the router off and keep it without energy for other 30 seconds, then turn it on again always keeping the reset button pressed, and for another 60 seconds keep it always pressed. Only then, release it. It's finally working now. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

It would be useful to determine the status of the system "now".

• When the system was installed, was the WiFi 'name' (SSID) changed to be different from the name on the product label? (Orbi's typically ship with WiFi set to the letters "O-R-B-I" plus a two digit number.)
  • With the system on, which WiFi name is being broadcast?
    (The new one or the original ORBIxx name?)
  • Page 22 of the User Manual describes how to log into the router web administration.
    https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBKE963/RBRE960_RBSE960_UM_EN.pdf 
  • Netgear has 'rigged' the Orbi DNS resolver to trap specific URLs and point them to the router itself, including
    • orbilogin.com
    • orbilogin.net
    • (and several others)
    • I do not believe that orbisetup.net is one of these special URLs)
  • If none of these work, then a web browser will generally open the web administration using the IP address of the network gateway, which is usually 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1.

Message 2 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Just after factory reset. I can see and connect to the wifi network established by factory. But no browser (via phone or computer, cable or wifi) can connect to orbilogin.net. Also app can't proceed with system setup.
Message 3 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

This verifies that the Factory Reset "took".

On one of the 'wired' computers, can you determine the network gateway and attempt to connect to that IP address?

On Windows, I open a CMD window and type: ipconfig

CrimpOn_0-1684004530251.png

In my case, the Orbi has defined the default IP address for itself: 192.168.1.1.  So I would open a web browser to

http://192.168.1.1 

p.s. The Orbi setup typically tries to badger users into using the 'app' for setup.  Down at the bottom of the page is a line in tiny type with something like..."If you do not have a smartphone, click here".  I LIE

Message 4 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Hi, thank you but tried before the 192.168.1.1 but it says it can't connect to it. Tried with Android Chrome and Edge via WiFi, Windows Chrome and Edge via WiFi and cable. No success
Message 5 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Browser says 192.168.1.1 refused to connect
Just to make sure things are fresh, I've deleted the stored values for the admin password.
Message 6 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

please confirm the gateway IP address.  Is it 192.168.1.1?

Message 7 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Right, 192.168.1.1 for gateway and DNS. Thank you.
I've just rerun factory reset (now on router and satellites, just in case), then tried all again, including via cable with a laptop. I can find the modem IP and setup page, but can't get the router's.
Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

What happens when a browser opens 192.168.1.1?

• Connection "times out"?
  • A box pops up asking for user name and password?
  • or.....?
Message 9 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

I receive, all the time, ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
Message 10 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

But I have access to the modem setup page at 192.168.100.1
Message 11 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@gribeiro wrote:
I receive, all the time, ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

This indicates the web servers is not running at all.  I think your original question is correct:  this is an RMA situation.

Message 12 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Yeah, sad this. Thank you for the insights, meanwhile I tried a couple of other scenarios trying to isolate variables but always get to the same place. I've opened a ticket, let's see how they respond to it. Any last recommendation on how to proceed with RMA (sorry for keep bothering)?
Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

I have never done an RMA with Netgear, but.................

I would start by logging into https://my.netgear.com , select the product, then at the bottom of the next page select, Request Hardware Support.

Message 14 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Thank you, now I see it. Just did it. All very appreciated.
Message 15 of 18
gribeiro
Aspirant

Hey, just left a 100 minutes call with Netgear support team. It's working now. The solution was:
Keep the reset button pressed 30 seconds, while still keeping it pressed turn the router off and keep it without energy for other 30 seconds, then turn it on again always keeping the reset button pressed, and for another 60 seconds keep it always pressed. Only then, release it. It's finally working now. Thanks!
Message 16 of 18

@gribeiro wrote:
Keep the reset button pressed 30 seconds, while still keeping it pressed turn the router off and keep it without energy for other 30 seconds, then turn it on again always keeping the reset button pressed, and for another 60 seconds keep it always pressed. Only then, release it. It's finally working now.

That is what is known as a "recovery reset".

Standard strategy for recalcitrant devices.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@gribeiro wrote:

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7