Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

updating firmware

staceyw5
Aspirant

updating firmware

My orbi is running a very old firware (1.4 something) and I want to update it, (I have to do it manually, will not work through app). I downloaded the files on my macbook, and when I go to open it I get an error saying select an .img file, but that is what it is. My macbook states it cannot read th .img file. Any suggestions? (I am trying to install 2.2, as it says I have to do this before 2.3). 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: updating firmware

You don't actually open the .img file. Download the file from the netgear support site, extract it, and then upload it through the web browser. you'll go to advanced--administration--router update. Use the manual installation method

Keep in mind, you must update to version 2.2.1.212 and then you can update to the most recent version. Here's the support site with the firmwares and the manual that walks you through installation.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx

Message 2 of 10
staceyw5
Aspirant

This is exactly what I did..... but when i go to upload it is says "please select correct configuration file". What I am trying to upload is

RBS50-V2.2.1.212.img, and that is when i get the error

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

One thing to check. the RBS file is for the satellite and the RBR file is for the main router. Make sure you're using the correct firmware for each. I downloaded the .img file and it worked fine so long as I was on the correct device.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

Did you get it working?

Message 5 of 10
staceyw5
Aspirant

Not yet.... support is giving me all the things I have tried. They did give me a link to 1.12 to try. I’m not home until Saturday but will try that then. They also told me the shelf life of my product was old. Produced 2017 and purchased 2 years later. Which is very frustrating Walmart would be selling an old product.
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

@staceyw5 wrote:
Not yet.... support is giving me all the things I have tried. They did give me a link to 1.12 to try. I’m not home until Saturday but will try that then. They also told me the shelf life of my product was old. Produced 2017 and purchased 2 years later. Which is very frustrating Walmart would be selling an old product.

Even though its 2 years old its still one of the best performing mesh networks out there. 

when you're doing the updates, make sure to update the satellites first. You can manually log into the satellite using the ip address for it and use its own gui to do its updates.  Use the correct firmware aka rbs for satellites and rbr for router.

Get the satellite all updated and shut if off once its fully updated. Then try to get the router updated. Remember to update to the 2.2.1.212 version for both satellite and router first. Then you can go the next step. 

I know you stated you had problems with it recognizing img file on your computer and then issues selecting correct configuration file.  So question is:

Did you figure out how to extract each file for each specific device? RBR for router and RBS for satellite?

Is your computer recognizing it as and .img file?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx

Message 7 of 10
staceyw5
Aspirant

I tried the 1.12 and it’s not reading the file. When I save it, I save it as an .img. But when I upload it for the update, it tells me to select an .img file (which it is!) so I’m literally stuck (when I play around with the file, my computer says it does not recognize the type!
Message 8 of 10
staceyw5
Aspirant

I will be honest... many people don’t even have computers. So what do they do? Mine is a work computer so I’m wondering if some security layers are causing problems. I’m today’s age, we have to be able to update from an app. Which it looks like I could do if I didn’t buy a 2 year old device with ridiculously old firmware. And of course, the one time I buy something in store and not online I do not have a receipt of any sort. Beside a payment to Walmart on my cc, which would never suffice. My router works fine now. But not updating it is going to cause big problems down the rode. I’m annoyed and mad I paid $300 for for something that is a HUGE pain and time suck.
Message 9 of 10
staceyw5
Aspirant

I am going to try my husband’s work computer... but I’m doubtful because the security on his is intense. But it’s a dell and not a Mac so maybe that will make a difference. Let’s hope. Otherwise I am about to throw the Orbi through a window and try another brand of mesh system
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7