Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 internet signal loss

Viking42
Apprentice

LBR20 internet signal loss

Hello,

I hope you can help me, 

On a LRB20, Router Firmware Version V2.6.4.2 ,  located in europe

Connected to a fiber modem with a LAN cable LTE deactivated

Issue:
The router emits a wifi signal without Internet
Devices like mobile phones or laptops have wifi connection but no internet connection

Timelines:
Issue happens Approx twice a day, since 4 days
We had a year without issue, the issue occured without clear trigger

Workaround:
Reboot the router solves the issues

Actions done so far:
- Rebooted the Fiber Modem
- Full reset of the LBR20 router
- Deactivated beamforming, Mu-mimo and fast roaming
- checked logs but the only go to the last reboot, so no tracks of what happened before the reboot
- Checked router and satellites updates

Any idea what i could do?

The support seems to be valid only 6 months, which is conpletely illegal down here, but-.. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: LBR20 internet signal loss

There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply.

Message 2 of 8
Viking42
Apprentice

Disabled the traffic meter and changed the NTP just now, i'll report on how that works 

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Please follow up.  Right now, there are SO MANY posts with similar issues that there is a tendancy to think, "this is what everybody else is experiencing."  If it is not, then there this advice may have been not of much use.

Message 4 of 8
esteg
Guide

@CrimpOn wrote:

Please follow up.  Right now, there are SO MANY posts with similar issues that there is a tendancy to think, "this is what everybody else is experiencing."  If it is not, then there this advice may have been not of much use.

Agree.

So much sense.

Regards.

Message 5 of 8
Viking42
Apprentice

Disabled the traffic meter and changed the NTP about 14h hours ago

I just had the internet signal hanging again 

So traffic meter is not the solution for me 

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi LTE product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi LTE and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there since the Orbi LTE is a bit different:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-LTE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-lte

Thank you.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Viking42 wrote:

Hello,

I hope you can help me, 

On a LRB20, Router Firmware Version V2.6.4.2 ,  located in europe

Connected to a fiber modem with a LAN cable LTE deactivated

Issue:
The router emits a wifi signal without Internet
Devices like mobile phones or laptops have wifi connection but no internet connection

Timelines:
Issue happens Approx twice a day, since 4 days
We had a year without issue, the issue occured without clear trigger

Workaround:
Reboot the router solves the issues

Actions done so far:
- Rebooted the Fiber Modem
- Full reset of the LBR20 router
- Deactivated beamforming, Mu-mimo and fast roaming
- checked logs but the only go to the last reboot, so no tracks of what happened before the reboot
- Checked router and satellites updates

When this situation began, people soon discovered that the apparent problem is the Orbi stops resolving Domain Names into IP addresses.  When they would 'ping' some place by IP, it would work. (for example 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 succeeds) But, when they would ping by domain name, it would not. (one.one.one.one or dns.google fails)  Early attempts to find a solution  centered on how to move DNS resolution off the Orbi (set up a separate DHCP/DNS server, log into via telnet and restart the dnsmasq process, create a script to constantly reboot the process). Some people discovered that removing the "Automatic adjustment for DST" worked.  Then, Netgear engineers announced that Traffic Meter was the root cause.

With no DNS resolution, almost everything fails to work.

The next time your system "drops", can you experiment to determine if  DNS resolution is failing?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7