Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LBR20 keeps disconnecting from LTE

5 days uptime this time before the "Pink Ring of Doom". Alas, with no ability to get into it anymore, I can't continue to diagnose issues. All I can do is reboot and hope it comes back. Still, 5 days continuous connectivity is still quite a bit better than I was getting on the older firmware. So something's improved. Just not quite 100% there yet.

Message 76 of 87
egauk
Aspirant

For me the issue was the Traffic Meter located under Advanced > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter

If I enable the traffic meter with no limits the router would bounce the connection around every minute. Once disabled the connection was stable again. Hopefully this will help someone experiencing the same issue.

Router Firmware Version
V2.6.3.50

Message 77 of 87
terabull
Aspirant

Has anyone found a solution?  Mine has gotten worse, have to reboot 6 plus times a day.  Then the next day 2 or 3 and the next back to 6 plus.

I have disabled traffic meter.  No help.

Message 78 of 87
terabull
Aspirant

Just to be clear, I have legit ATT sim from isp.  When it works its great, but I have to reboot the router many times per day with the router saying "detecting".  This seems like something that could easily be figured out.  

Message 79 of 87
BobTech
Aspirant

I am in the same boat. A fresh AT&T SIM and it locks up under heavy Zoom traffic. Consistently. I called Tech Support. They said I have the latest firmware and it is AT&T's fault. I am past the return window. It works great when it is not needed. But when peak traffic occurs, it crashes, says detecting for the LTE and has to be rebooted. I am soooo disappointed because when it works, it works well. Just not when I need it.

Message 80 of 87
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BobTech

You mentioned that device is on the latest firmware, can you please provide the firmware version? 

Kindly describe the ring LED status when issue re-occur. 

Have you tried resetting the device? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 81 of 87
BobTech
Aspirant

You mentioned that device is on the latest firmware, can you please provide the firmware version? V2.6.4.2

Kindly describe the ring LED status when issue re-occur. The rings were either off or blinking white.

Have you tried resetting the device? I did factory reset the device after posting. It does seem to have improved things. I have not had a crash since the factory reset. I was in a Zoom meeting for a couple of hours without a crash, something I could not previously do. And as a test, I downloaded and uploaded a large Windows ISO file with no issues. It previously seemed that the device would crash when traffic was really busy. So, hopefully we are past the initial problems.

Message 82 of 87
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BobTech

Thank you for the update. Please do observe the connection. If the issue re-occur. kindly let us know. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 83 of 87
BobTech
Aspirant

Well, it happened again. It has worked a solid month, but tonight, after about an hour and a half of use in a data intensive meeting, it crashed solidly. No lights on on the top and I could not contact it (I was using a wired connection). I had to power it down to get it to reconnect. I checked aftertwards and the firmware is up to date. I had a brief drop earlier that evening, but was puzzled as afterwards I was getting, while connected to my meeting, 100Mbps down and 20+ up. Shortly afterwards it crashed hard and as I said, I had to reboot it.

This is very frustrating. I need a reliable connection. I previously used a 5G T-Mobile Hotspot and switched to this as the T-Mobile network in this area is heavily sold. This device, coupled with my AT&T 100GB package promised to give me what I could not get with the T-Mobile device. But the T-Mobile device did not crash. It was sometimes just slow. This will crash hard, requiring it to be powered off. 

Message 84 of 87
BobTech
Aspirant

I am done with this expensive now paperweight. It works well when it is under light traffic, but crashes when under heavy traffic. It is fast and WiFi is excellent. But it is not and has never really been stable. So, on to other devices. Mark this device as NOT RECOMMENDED.

Message 85 of 87
nibby
Aspirant

I've had this issue since purchase, 3-4 months now. Tried engaging with netgear support but every time a horrible experience. Its like they dont even know it has LTE when first opening tickets.

Latest firmware, disabled traffic meter.

Tried different SIM providers and a lot of factory resets (primary "resolve" response from support).

Warning to the internet; do not buy this if you intend to use LTE as your only option for internet (remote areas).

Message 86 of 87
cnwdon
Tutor

Re: LBR20 speed limitation for cellular

We still have only the one LBR20, the first one purchased, working stably with Verizon.  The other two are paperweights.  Regarding speed, this device has two external antenna inputs.  Since we have 3 directional antennas, one per router, and don’t need two of them now, we tried connecting one of them to each of the two inputs on the working router.  Result, MUCH better speed, actually more than double as measured, around 18 Mbps as I recall when last tested.  Our son knows enough about these things to not be surprised that you can effectively double the signal strength this way.  

Since my last post, a new rural fiber provider came to the neighborhood.  The proprietor moved to the top of our “mountain” (foothill) and wanted fast internet, so he started a business and brought it to all of us (NocTel, Washougal WA-slogan “fiber for the forgotten”) bless his soul, for only $100/mo for guaranteed 50 Mpbs minimum (not the usual “up to”).  

Now we have the LBR20 kept active as backup for the rare times when severe weather or some other factor puts fiber down for some hours, so we can work from home.  NocTel’s main connection is a dish to dish one from a source 4-5 miles away so the worst weather can sometimes stop service, and with the closest Verizon tower only 1-2 miles away in a different direction, so far that has allowed the LBR20 to be a useful backup with sufficient speed thanks to two antenna inputs.

Message 87 of 87
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7