Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LTE connection up-time Orbi LBR20

ShadowsPapa
Tutor

LTE connection up-time Orbi LBR20

My router is NOT listed in the models! So I had to just pick one to post. 
My router is the Orbi LBR20-1USNAS. It's LTE 3G/4G modem/router, etc.

This may be simple - We've had tons of issues with LTE connectivity. We live in a fringe area for cell reception. The D-Link router we had was constantly dropping LTE connection. Then it started randomly rebooting and locking up - I could see it was dying. I never was fond of it anyway....... guy at US Cellular recommended the Netgear Orbi.  
It's definitely faster and even the wifi is stronger. 
My question is with LTE connectivity.......... with the D-Link router it would show me system or device up-time AND LTE connection up-time so I could see when the thing was dying as the system uptime would be maybe 30 minutes, an hour, whatever and before that, it showed the LTE or cell data connection uptime was also only a matter of hours, if that, any time I looked. 

I assume this Netgear Orbi can do the same thing.
AM I CORRECT in that checking administration, router status, show statistics is showing me how long the LTE connection has been good? At this point, the device uptime is almost 20 hours and the LTE stat shows just minutes behind that number. 
I have a 15 day "trial period" and need to see if this router can keep the LTE connection better so need to watch for connection drops. 

I see it gets to the -117 to -118 RSRP now and then but doesn't say it's dropped. At that point the D-Link dropped connection. 

(I may want to look into external LTE antennas for it as well, can't hurt?)

Model: LG2200D|LTE Gateway (US Cellular)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
burrington
Star

Re: LTE connection up-time Orbi LBR20

I really encourage you to find a better place to put the Orbi. In your case, its more important to get a good LTE signal, then make the LAN connections as required. Its better to be away from the TV which can cause interference.

Re an external antenna: You typically can't find an antenna that has the right connector for what you want. Just buy the right antenna, and an adapter cable to match up to the Orbi. A directional antenna will work much better because it is focussed in a single direction and will provide a stronger signal from the tower with less noise from other sources. Choose an antenna that has the highest "dB Gain". The gain strengthens the signal by physical design, which makes it easier for the Orbi to work reliably.

An omni-directional antenna will give maybe 8 to 10 dB gain, whereas a good directional antenna can give you 26 or 28 dB gain. Big difference! Here's an example: Amazon.com: Bolton Technical Long Ranger Antenna | 2021 Parabolic - Over 10 Miles Range | All Cell B...

When you install it, put it outside and as high as you can possibly get it. Be sure to use ultra low loss coax cable. Find the tower that gives you the strongest signal and just leave it aimed there. You may have to do some experimentation to find the best location with no obstructions. Moving just a few feet can make a big difference if there are obstructions such as tall trees. With an outdoor directional antenna, high in the air, you will find the closest tower, receive a decent signal on a consistent basis, and the other towers won't matter. You won't have to be moving the antenna to different towers.

Doing the above will cost a few dollars, but it will give you fast reliable service.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
burrington
Star

I found the same thing, this site doesn't have the Orbi LBR20 in the drop down menu. Would be nice if somebody added it to the list of valid products...

In case you haven't already done this, you can also try repositioning the Orbi. Look at the LTE signal strength (which I see you already found) and move it to different locations in the house to get the strongest signal (lowest negative number - IE -60 is better than -70). Try to get it as high in the air as possible, and closest to the side of the house facing the LTE tower. Minimize the number of walls and other obstructions between the Orbi and the tower. Even moving it a very short distance can make a difference in the signal because there could be a wall stud, wire, ducting, lamp post, etc blocking the path. Concrete and metal block signals very well. Glass and wood much less.

Once you find the location with the highest signal, rotate the Orbi to align the internal antenna for the strongest signal. You can also use your phone to wander around looking for the best location in the house and then move the Orbi there.

External antennas will help you immensely. I use one for a different LTE modem I have on my RV and it made a night and day difference. An outdoor antenna, mounted as high as possible, with a wire running inside and plugged into the Orbi is best.

Message 2 of 12
ShadowsPapa
Tutor

Since most of my network depends on the Ethernet I am somewhat limited on where the Orbi can sit. Right now ithe Orbi is in the NE corner of the house, NE corner of our front room on a stand that sits below the wall-mounted TV.
That's where I have power (filtered power) and Ethernet connection that connects my shop, an access point in the other level - a switch that connects my Tablo, TV, BluRay to the rest of the network sits in the stand under the Orbi.
Ethernet feeds an access point I have in our finished basement to feed WiFi and other things down there, and it feeds another router I have in my steel shop building, my huge network-based backup drive, etc.
I did slide it back on the stand so it's closer to the wall/corner and not directly under the TV and that helped a bit. 

The goofy thing is that where we sit, there are no close towers and devices like our phones seem to be connected to a different tower every time I check, likely because none are strong, but at any given time, a different one is strongest. We are surrounded by trees and hills, we're the low point in this section. Yesterday my phone was connected to a tower to the SE, tonight it got the best signal connected to a tower to the north and I didn't even know there was any tower that direction! I've never seen one in that area. 
I'm going to try sitting it higher - like maybe on the wall behind the TV or even on the sound bar which is mounted at the top of the TV and if that helps, then get an antenna - which Netgear support agreed should definitely help given our circumstances here. 
The kicker is that Netgear themselves doesn't seem to have much for antennas, and those I find, the connections are wrong -and they are directional - a directional antenna is a bad thing here because there's no tower to point an antenna at. I may aim it north for best signal today then find that tower isn't doing well and need to aim it southwest tomorrow.

Anyway, right now it's been sitting at 3 bars and roughly -105 for the last hour. That's pretty good, especially compared to that D-Link we had. 
I'll be looking for a MIMO antenna that has the correct connections, is intended to work with Orbi, works with US Cellular and isn't so directional. 
Bottom line, so far I'm happy with the router even though it won't let things use UPNP - the D-Link did show things had registered there but this one does not even though it's enabled (not that it works because of the darned double-NAT of cell data services)

Message 3 of 12
burrington
Star

I really encourage you to find a better place to put the Orbi. In your case, its more important to get a good LTE signal, then make the LAN connections as required. Its better to be away from the TV which can cause interference.

Re an external antenna: You typically can't find an antenna that has the right connector for what you want. Just buy the right antenna, and an adapter cable to match up to the Orbi. A directional antenna will work much better because it is focussed in a single direction and will provide a stronger signal from the tower with less noise from other sources. Choose an antenna that has the highest "dB Gain". The gain strengthens the signal by physical design, which makes it easier for the Orbi to work reliably.

An omni-directional antenna will give maybe 8 to 10 dB gain, whereas a good directional antenna can give you 26 or 28 dB gain. Big difference! Here's an example: Amazon.com: Bolton Technical Long Ranger Antenna | 2021 Parabolic - Over 10 Miles Range | All Cell B...

When you install it, put it outside and as high as you can possibly get it. Be sure to use ultra low loss coax cable. Find the tower that gives you the strongest signal and just leave it aimed there. You may have to do some experimentation to find the best location with no obstructions. Moving just a few feet can make a big difference if there are obstructions such as tall trees. With an outdoor directional antenna, high in the air, you will find the closest tower, receive a decent signal on a consistent basis, and the other towers won't matter. You won't have to be moving the antenna to different towers.

Doing the above will cost a few dollars, but it will give you fast reliable service.

Message 4 of 12
ShadowsPapa
Tutor

First - thanks for the suggestions and input.  You are talking similar to what the Netgear support has mentioned, albiet they talk a cheaper antenna cost-wise, but still, placement and orientation being key. 
At this point, I've decided this router is the one we'll keep. It's already far stronger, faster and more reliable than others we've had (all of the prior subsequently stopped working on the LTE side, some just plain dying a slow, painful death)
This Orbi is faster all around. I thought we were doing "pretty good" out here with internet, but the wifi end is stronger and faster even when speed tests show just "ok" internet. A lot of what we do is on our own network (streaming recorded TV shows and movies, accessing my server) and even that is faster. Getting into my Tablo app and accessing recordings is faster and easier now. 

On the LTE and signal side - having moved the Orbi closer to the wall, a bit away from the TV and turning it a bit the numbers improved to the point that nothing has dropped below these numbers for hours now - 

RSRP (in dBm)-106
RSRQ (in dBm)-11
Received Signal Quality (in dBm)-75

That supports the idea that an antenna, properly oriented, would help, as would moving the Orbi to a better spot operationally.
I've hit those numbers before, but just for short times. Now it seems to be staying there for the most part. 

I was beginning to think we were just stuck with poor service, iffy connections, weak signals, etc. but with this router and the suggestions from you and Netgear, I think we'll be fine. 
Orientation, placement, and maybe even a good antenna = solution. 
LOL - it was so much easier when I worked for the state. I could do tricks with the Juniper core switch, our Cisco ASAs and do things with our VM VPN gateway that others were scratching their heads over - but home routers and such - I'd rather be programming the core switch again. 
Thanks for the assist. 

Message 5 of 12
burrington
Star

Happy to help.

Your numbers are in the "Fair" range. But they can be MUCH better. Getting them up will get your better speed and more importantly better reliability when whether conditions are bad.

Let us know how it turns out for you!

Message 6 of 12
ShadowsPapa
Tutor

And that reminds me - before the D-Link router finally decided to have hardware issues, reboot, lock and so on, when it was connected LTE-wise, I noticed that on really windy days, or bad weather days, we'd drop connecton more frequently. And in Iowa, it's windy a LOT, especially October through April or so. Google lists us as a windy spot for several months of the year. 
I found that odd - hey, it's wind, not a massive snow blocking anything, and yet when the wind was high we could count on LTE drops. I knew wind could impact sound, but RF, too??
Apparently so..... science and electronic classes were decades ago. 
It sounds like setting this thing up in a better place and a good antenna, we may mitigate that and keep connection even in bad weather. Ojt of the last 2 months, we've had probably 3 what I'd call calm days with wind less than 5 mph.

Message 7 of 12
burrington
Star

It's not the wind directly affecting the RF, its wind blowing trees in and out of the path between you and the tower. That's why you want to get the antenna (whether internal or external) as high as possible to minimize the trees in the path. With a strong signal, things can happen to degrade the signal without a real affect on the transmission. But if the signal is weak to start with, the slightest decrease in strength causes problems.

Message 8 of 12
ShadowsPapa
Tutor

Wind here may be impacting humidity as well - the latest windy days were also extremely and unusually dry for us....... too much humidiy, too little, those have been known to have impact. Luckily the most windy days here the trees didn't have leaves on them yet (and most still don't really) so minimal movement. But then - that D-Link had very weak signal anyway so i suppose when it's just barely "connected" any little thing would impact it. 
Looking into possible antennas next. Well, actually, in the next few days will be trying a couple different altitudes and locations in the house for Orbi. Right now it's sitting just shy of waist high so I am wondering about a wall bracket to get it up higher and at the same time, see where the strongest signal is with no antenna, then I'll know where to place or orient an antenna. 
Stoll really WEIRD, OpenSignal on my phone insists the signal is coming from north of me, but the only towers I'm aware of within 4 miles are east (3.5 miles) or south (about 5 miles or so). I know of no tower north of me unless I go several miles north to the next major highway. Yet OpenSignal says "follow the arrow" and no matter where I am in the house, that's north. 
Maybe I need to contact US Cellular and see if they can tell me exactly where their licensed towers are. 
At least so far, as it sits, where it sits, no antenna, the Orbi is doing better than anything else we've ever had and I can tell when I get to a point the signal is at its best, the speed tests jump up pretty fair amount so that's very encouraging. 

Message 9 of 12
burrington
Star

I'm ot familiar with that app for phone signal strength. But are you sure its not seeing another provider's tower? You could also try it outside away from the house to make sure its not just a reflection off some ducting or a metal building somewhere.

Message 10 of 12
ShadowsPapa
Tutor

US Cellular are the only towers within several miles that I've been able to find. 
I grabbed another freebie app (loaded with annoying ads that overlay maps and such, but heck, just wanted to verify open signal)
The other app, Network Cell Info Lite, verified what OpenSignal said - north. NCIL even showed the exact location of the tower my phone was using in GPS coordinates, and some other numbers it apparently gets from the towers, some identifying info, and marked as USCC tower. 
The same direction was shown by both apps (I'm in the country, the only buildings are mine and my neighbor to the east, nothing big here)
I did a map on Google and approximated the distance as between 5 and 5.3 miles as the crow flies. Funny thing, there's a couple of towers east of me but those never get shown - on any map. They'd be about 3.5 miles away but maybe it's the hills and trees.........
Based on what these apps show, it looks like I should aim north. 

Message 11 of 12
Chris075
Aspirant

Can somone tell me if the Orbi uses a regualr LTE signal or hotspot data? I just bought 1 with a Mint Mobile SIM and it used my 5gb of hotpsot data and shut off. shouldnt it be using the straight LTE signal and not hotspot?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7