Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Lbr20 band lock

Lbr20 band lock

Always connects to LTE band 2 In the optimal placement in the house but a sub-optimal placement gets band 66 at double the U/D speeds. Same tower. How can I lock the band to only go to 66?
Message 1 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Franklinstower wrote:
Always connects to LTE band 2 In the optimal placement in the house but a sub-optimal placement gets band 66 at double the U/D speeds. Same tower. How can I lock the band to only go to 66?

Depending on the phone or 4g LTE device you have, you can force channel preferences. My phone allows me to have multiple configurations. The one problem may be you would have to manually switch your device's settings when home.

Have you tried setting the LBR20 to 4G only?

Message 2 of 10

Not sure how to do that. The LBR20 is the new orbi LTE
Message 3 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Franklinstower wrote:
Not sure how to do that. The LBR20 is the new orbi LTE

Read the documentation.

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you seeing the LTE band on the web page described on page 99 of the user manual?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LBR20/Orbi_LBR20_UM_EN.pdf 

I did not see anything in the user manual indicating that the user can "set" the LTE band.  It could be that band 66 does not penetrate into your house as far as band 2, so the LBR20 is choosing the stronger signal based on location.  I do not know enough about LTE to conclude that LTE radio bands come from the same antennas (I think not), so it could be that "same tower" does not mean "antennas pointed exactly the same direction."

There have been posts every so often, "When is the LBR20 going to be available?"  I guess the answer is, "Now."

Message 5 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

Are you seeing the LTE band on the web page described on page 99 of the user manual?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/LBR20/Orbi_LBR20_UM_EN.pdf 

I did not see anything in the user manual indicating that the user can "set" the LTE band.  It could be that band 66 does not penetrate into your house as far as band 2, so the LBR20 is choosing the stronger signal based on location.  I do not know enough about LTE to conclude that LTE radio bands come from the same antennas (I think not), so it could be that "same tower" does not mean "antennas pointed exactly the same direction."

There have been posts every so often, "When is the LBR20 going to be available?"  I guess the answer is, "Now."

I wasn't referring to the LRB20 manual, but individual phone manuals for setting desired connections. The documentation for each phone or 4G device is different. My phone manual will be different than an Iphone.

Regarding documentation to force a 4G connection on an LRB20, which may help, if you get a good 4G signal all the time, refer to page 24 of the LRB20 manual.

Message 6 of 10
darwin1991
Guide

No band lock function.
Message 7 of 10
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Franklinstower,

Like any LTE based device there is probably AT commands that can be used to lock the device to specific bands but this is not recommended because you connectivity to the tower is bade on ISP optimization sometimes you may connect to band 2 sometimes band 66 it all depends on how the ISP priorities your device at the time of connection. Sometime you may be moved over to a different band for sake of bandwidth optimization/load balancing on ISP end as they may not want to overload a specific band.

Message 8 of 10
bornandraised
Initiate

There is no bandlock on the LBR20, I have discussed this with both Netgear's technical team - DISSAPOINTING!

I have a full house of Orbi 50's, but living remotely I need 4G for internet, just to be clear this is a broadband sim in the Modem itself NOT via a phone or hotspot.

I have tested so many different 4G Modems, Huawei, MikroTik, DrayTek, Zyxel, ASUS, D-link and finally settled on a TP-link MR600 which is a 4G+ or LTE-A modem that can use Carrier Aggregation (CA).

I have my modem in my loft twinned with a MikroTik mANT LTE50 antenna on 30cm leads.

From the initial standard Huawei on Vodafone 4g getting 25mbs down and 9mbs up, I now have the TP-link getting 145mbs down / 32mbs up.

I acheived this after many hours of antenna placement, testing the CA option utlising 2 bands, ie LTE-A.

I saw that at peak times and overnight Vodafone would switch my 2 bands around contantly at my local towers I sit between. My Router would then stick to those bands regarless of signal strength. I used to get around this by putting in scheduled re-boots or manually re-booting the modem to get them reset, but thats not sensible.

The biggest jump in speed was when TPlink release a beta software that included band lock. have now fixed my bands to 1,7 (UK), and my 85 mbs jumped to 145 constantly, so there is very good reason to do this, if you head to TP-link forums you will see hundreds of users with the same expereince as me, all switching to the beta software and band locking based on their local tower setup.

However, I have to put my Orbi50 Router fixed in AP mode to work with the TPlink, so I was very excited to see a 4G LTE-A modem / router from Netgear allowing me to drop the TPlink and use all the full features of the Orbi system, but I now realise I would have to sacrifice Bandlock to achive this - I might order one from Amazon with the ability to return it just to test out the speed, even though I cant bandlock.

The LBR20 is an LTE-A (4G+) modem and can use CA so multiple bands at the same time, which is excellent and makes a HUGE difference in speed, but without Bandlock Netgear are missing an issue many of us deal with in the real world.

I have a feeling this is more designed as a fail over to keep you going if your hard line fails, rather than a standalone 4G router. Lots of my friends / colleagues in the UK only get 30-70mbs on fibre to the cabinet, and so many are switching overt to 4G+ as the speeds are better and at £20 per month for as much data as you want, its a very good alternative as a primary internet source.

Come on Netgear, have a look at a simple bandlock option, its just a simple software tweek, the capability is already their with CA!

Message 9 of 10
MEDUCK7
Tutor

Hi,bornandraised:

may i know how we ensrue to know the LBR20 alredy running in CA for Bands?

any singal or screen will bring up in CA mode? 

thanks 🙂

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7