Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi LBR20 with T-Mobile issues

PROAWEMIKE
Follower

Orbi LBR20 with T-Mobile issues

Hello,

I have an LBR20, I am trying to use it with a T-mobile sim and I can't seem to get it to connect to the internet. 

The sim works in another T-mobile hotspot device. 

I have tried APN: fast.t-mobile.com and Fast.t-mobile.com

Neither seems to work. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
hazarjast
Star

Unsupported device means that the plan provisioned to your “data SIM” isn’t approved by T-Mobile for use in your device. Typically you see this when people buy data plans (usually “unlimited”) through a reseller. What the reseller usually fails to mention is that their resold plan wasn’t meant to be used in a router device (because in reality it’s a phone or tablet plan).

I can understand the frustration but the device definitely isn’t a paperweight when setup with proper settings and/or plan on TMO. If you are at all tech savvy there are some good info here from another TMO user who is using the LBR20 without issues and has offered some support via email:

http://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1876&sid=a358100f3a4526e612b295122419984b

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 19

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PROAWEMIKE

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Is there any error message when you set it up?

Have you tried resetting the device? 

Please provide the current firmware version. The latest firmware version is 2.5.2.20

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 19
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @PROAWEMIKE

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 19
hazarjast
Star

Since the Sprint merger was completed, TMO has been systematically kicking data devices off their network if the SIM is not activated on a plan intended for use in a data-only device. They have not banned all possible IMEIs of data-only devices which is why your other hotspot may be be working with the same SIM. To troubleshoot further it would be helpful to know exactly what plan the SIM is activated on and the original device it was activated in. Feel free to DM me if there is confusion on any of the points I have noted.

Message 4 of 19
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @PROAWEMIKE,

You may not be on the right plan for LBR20, please check with T-Mobile if you have the right data plan for devices like LBR20. I know recently T-Mobile changed the plans around so that is most likely an issue here.

Message 5 of 19
Dageezer
Initiate

I am using the Orbi LBR20 with T-Mobile.  What I had to do was connect to the admin console advanced internet setup (http://orbilogin.com/adv_index.htm) and ensure the following:

Network mode: Automatic (4G or 3G)

PDP Type: PDP-IPv4v6

The setup 'wizard' had set it to just PDP-IPv4 which resulted in a connected status, but no actual Internet access.

Message 6 of 19
lilsadone
Tutor

@Dageezer wrote:

I am using the Orbi LBR20 with T-Mobile.  What I had to do was connect to the admin console advanced internet setup (http://orbilogin.com/adv_index.htm) and ensure the following:

Network mode: Automatic (4G or 3G)

PDP Type: PDP-IPv4v6

The setup 'wizard' had set it to just PDP-IPv4 which resulted in a connected status, but no actual Internet access.

@Dageezer  any other tips? I'm also using a T-mobile sim, and although I can see signal strength  on the admin console when I check status, I'm still not getting an internet connection. 

I've already changed Network mode and PDP Type to what you've suggested (mine was also set to PDP-IPv4 by auto-setup, which didn't work). 

Message 7 of 19
Dageezer
Initiate

@lilsadone The only other issue I had was after a month it quit working and I had to contact my cell provider and they found an issue with the 'expire' date not being reset.  The 'connection status' was showing as connected, just no pages would come up was my user experience during that issue.

I do have google dns set as the only other non-default value as the tower near me seems to be slower otherwise.

Advanced -> Internet Setup -> Internet tab

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address

Selected use these DNS Servers: (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) 

Message 8 of 19
darwin1991
Guide

Anyone made it work with T-mobile Sim?

Message 9 of 19
hazarjast
Star

Yes, but be aware T-Mobile phone/tablet consumer plans will check the IMEI to make sure you are using the SIM in the proper device so whether it works with your SIM out of the box or not will depend on the plan it is provisioned on.
Message 10 of 19
lilsadone
Tutor

I just tried a couple weeks ago with a new Tmobile data sim, and it didn't work - "unsupported device." 

I'm getting to the point where I've just got a $300 paper weight. 

Message 11 of 19
hazarjast
Star

Unsupported device means that the plan provisioned to your “data SIM” isn’t approved by T-Mobile for use in your device. Typically you see this when people buy data plans (usually “unlimited”) through a reseller. What the reseller usually fails to mention is that their resold plan wasn’t meant to be used in a router device (because in reality it’s a phone or tablet plan).

I can understand the frustration but the device definitely isn’t a paperweight when setup with proper settings and/or plan on TMO. If you are at all tech savvy there are some good info here from another TMO user who is using the LBR20 without issues and has offered some support via email:

http://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1876&sid=a358100f3a4526e612b295122419984b

Message 12 of 19
lilsadone
Tutor

@hazarjast wrote:

Agree to disagree.
It's an expensive paperweight thus far. Coincidently, I'd already visited the forum you shared and exhausted all efforts before I gave up on the tmobile sim. 

Message 13 of 19
hazarjast
Star

If this is something you want to make work then shoot a mail over to hazarjast at protonmail dot com. Many folks are using this fine, it’s just not plug and play on every plan. If you are looking for a turnkey solution to use with your existing TMO SIM and don’t wish to expend any more effort then the best course would be to return or resell the device to recoup the funds and apply them towards purchase of a “supported device” for your plan. Cheers!
Message 14 of 19
lilsadone
Tutor

Correct, many folks are using just fine. Many folks are not  (even with different carriers)- as I've seen mentioned here in this community, on reddit and other communities as well.

Apparently it is working well for you, which is great, sincerely.  But in forums we're sharing all of our experiences - your experience is not the only experience that is valid or worthy of discussion. 

Where I need to use it Tmobile has the strongest signal. Eventually I'll try others as I revisit that location (thus far, a paperweight) as I'm using it as one of their marketed intentions - in an area where traditional internet isn't available. Netgear promotes this as a plug and play easy device that "works with sims from any major carrier" - they didn't provide ANY guidance on plan types, etc when it was released (which is when I bought it), so I don't always appreciate the need to be "tech savvy" to use a device that isn't marketed to tech savvy folks. 

That's why I said, agree to disagree. Again, sincerely happy it works well for you with your Tmobile sim.   🙂 

Message 15 of 19
hazarjast
Star

The need to be tech savvy isn’t really a requirement for the device, it’s more so due to the US cellular carriers being silly and classifying devices as approved vs. not approved for a specific plan when in reality they all work essentially the same at the end of the day. I’m simply saying that this device can work with almost any plan from any US carrier if you want to accept help to learn new skills that can allow you to accomplish your goals with the device. But I completely understand that time is money and not everyone wants to spend the former when a different and compatible device or plan can be had with the latter. Whichever way you choose to go, best of luck to you. The data plan situation with all US carriers is enough to give anyone heartburn these days.
Message 16 of 19
ORBI4GLTE
Aspirant

I am using the following settings on an ORBI LBR20-100NAS with the generic card that came with the product on the T-mobile network. 

Router Firmware Version

V2.5.2.20

Internet connection mode

- Always use 3G/4G mobile connection

APN

- Fast t-mobile.com

Network mode

- Automatic 4G or 3G

User name

- leave blank

Password

- leave blank

PDP Type

- PDP-IPv4v6

Authentication Type

- Chap

PIN Code

- leave blank

PUK Code

- leave blank

Thanks,

-Dan

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 19
7Jake
Initiate

I for one agree with the paperweight comment.  I've spend weeks being run around by verizon before being told the device was unsupported.  Then I spent 2 hours on the phone with T-mobile and their system will not activate because it shows the IMEI as invalid and asked that I keep them on the line and contact Netgear Customer Support.  So I did and was told by Netgear that my free customer service expired about 20 days ago.  There was no effort to even lead me in the direction of a solution, any reason given for why the IMEI would come up as such (on a device that claims to be compatible with T-Mobile) just simply, you must purchase a support plan for any support.  The only action I'm going to take at this point is see if T-Mobile can fix the issue or I'm going to take the router out to my range and introduce it to my 30/30. Then I'm going to purchase all new non Netgear equipment.  Anyone want an an LBR20, 2 outdoor extenders, a satelite and a few managed switches.   I appologize up front for placing this rant on the community forum which should be allocated for solutions, not complaints.  However, there is no ability to get to anyone within netgear (without a paid plan) and without multiple choice answers to questions that are irrelevant to my situation. 

Netgear needs to get this cellular connectivity squared away or get out of the cellular busines all together and leave it to the cellular ISP to provide the hardware. 

Message 18 of 19
hazarjast
Star

Very sorry to hear of others having issues getting service on this device. It is frustrating that carriers aren't supporting this device better especially since T-Mobile and AT&T signed on to certify this device for use on their networks and their logos are on the box. On the Netgear side it would have been wise to work with the carriers better to certify in the user manual exactly which plans can be used with this device and which cannot.

All of that that being said, there are many of us using these successfully on T-Mobile and AT&T with a few tweaks as referenced earlier in the thread so, if this is a paperweight in your case, be sure to toss it on eBay as they are reselling quite well. Would be happy to see frustrated folks at least be able to get some/most of their investment back if they do not have the time to make this work for their carrier/plan.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7