Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4GHz Speed Horribly Slow, 5GHz is Great! Would love some suggestions

ajnealey
Aspirant

2.4GHz Speed Horribly Slow, 5GHz is Great! Would love some suggestions

Hey Folks,

Just installed an Orbi Pro mesh network system for my business. We have one router, 3 indoor satellites and one outdoor satellite. We are experiencing serious upload/download speeds on the 2.4GHz network. 5GHz is working great. Here is a little background of our setup:

I own an automotive repair shop and we perform digital inspections on vehicles using Lenovo Tab 4 8" tablets. We have 8 total but they aren't all usually being used at the same time. The bulk of the data transfer would be uploading images to our server. They only utilize the 2.4 GHz frequency. We have always had issues with WiFi in the shop and it was recommended that installing this mesh network system be the next logical step to improve WiFi speed and coverage at our shop.

We pay for 400 mbps upload/download from Verizon Fios. On my phone and other 5GHz enabled devices, I can see 50 mbps on the low end and 150 mbps on the high end as I perform the speed test around the property. On 2.4GHz, if I'm standing right next to a satellite/router, the best I sometimes see is 10 mbps but it is more like 2-3 mbps on average and it usually drops out most of the time.

I created an SSID specifically for the tablets to connect to hoping that it would help but no improvement. I also tried changing channels from Auto to channel 1, 6, 11 but still no change.

I know I have a lot of settings that I can change but am looking for suggestions before I completely break the Wifi 🙂

All firmware is up to date, tablets are Android and the Orbi Pro is setup as a Wifi AP, not router.

Thank you for your help and let me know if you have any additional questions!

AJ Nealey

Model: SRK60B04|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
ajnealey
Aspirant

Re: 2.4GHz Speed Horribly Slow, 5GHz is Great! Would love some suggestions

Just to give everyone an update. I was with Netgear support for almost 3 hours today working through this. Our current fix for this issue is to create a separate SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz band. I have connected the tablets to the 2.4 SSID band and has dramatically increased the speed of the tablets. They are now downloading at 20 mbps which is way better than 2-3 megs. Customer support should be following up with me on some other issues with the network but didn't want this to be another thread without some sort of answer.

Thanks,

AJ

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you @ajnealey  for choosing Netgear Orbi Pro wifi mesh system. It appears your wireless envirorment is congested.

Could you please use some wifi scanner tool which will give idea how your wireless environment is. inSSIDer is one tool you can use.

You can choose the less the congested channel and see if it improves.

Meanwhile you can send the debug logs:

1. Access to Orbi Pro UI by https://<ip address of Orbi Pro>/debug.htm

2. Click on start capture.

3. Connect your Lenovo Tab

4. wait for at least few 1-2 mins before save the debug logs.

You can upload debug logs onto google drive and send me a link via PM.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 3
ajnealey
Aspirant

Just to give everyone an update. I was with Netgear support for almost 3 hours today working through this. Our current fix for this issue is to create a separate SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz band. I have connected the tablets to the 2.4 SSID band and has dramatically increased the speed of the tablets. They are now downloading at 20 mbps which is way better than 2-3 megs. Customer support should be following up with me on some other issues with the network but didn't want this to be another thread without some sort of answer.

Thanks,

AJ

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements