Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

3.2.1.102 Firmware Update Failing Via Insight App

wesmithjr100
Guide

3.2.1.102 Firmware Update Failing Via Insight App

I attempted to update my Orbi Pro 6 environment (1 SXR80 Router + 2 Satellites) from 3.2.0.108 to 3.2.1.102 using the Insight app and it almost immediately failed with error  The device configuration has failed.   My router never went offline, etc so I don't think the installation started.   I updated to the .108 release using the Insight app, which was first update I had after setting things up and it worked fine.   I tried the update a 2nd time after rebooting router and failed again as well.  Has anyone else had any issues updating to this release?  I'm hesitant to try updating via web GUI at this point.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 1 of 9
zzz666zzz666
Initiate

Re: 3.2.1.102 Firmware Update Failing Via Insight App

I did the update this morning to 3.2.1.102, and I am down with no access to the device because I am remote to the network. If I have someone restart it, then will it fix the issue?
Message 2 of 9
wesmithjr100
Guide

My update immediately failed and don't think it got far as I never lost Internet access nor access to the router. That said, I had to restart the router to make a second attempt at the update with the same result.  I've since provided support the log info they requested and waiting for feedback on next steps.

As for next steps, if the device if not accessible remotely for you, restarting locally should in theory help unless the update bricked your device

Message 3 of 9
JohnD333
Apprentice

Bill,

My Insite app and insite web portal on pc updating of firmware both failed because I had a schedule for automatic updates each night - I wanted it “now” because I had issues.

The web portal by entering the IP address of router showed “no updates available.” Why I still have not figured out. But, I set the auto firmware schedule here, so I deselected the schedule here. Then went back to pc Insight portal to update firmware and it worked. If I remember correctly I updated the satellites first, then the router.

Good luck. Insight, both app and pc portal, is a “cute” work in progress but not yet very powerful or helpful.

John
Message 4 of 9
4Papa
Aspirant

Only way I could update firmware was with browser access and using manual update of the satellites and router. Insight IOS app did not work. First download and unzip files then install. I updated satellites first, the router. 

Message 5 of 9
wesmithjr100
Guide

I have a feeling I may end up trying to do the update via the Web GUI but have been holding off since support has been actively working with me the past few weeks and want to see things through with them.

Message 6 of 9
allenrg967
Aspirant

I had the same experience, but my SXR80 & SXS80 were offline in Insight from the prior Firmware.  I too had to access via the Web Portal, manually download, extract and install the firmware.  Now, also, at 3.2.1.102 I am still not able to access the Orbi Pro via Insight.  How do we fix this?

Also, I have been constant internet connectivity issues.  Rebooting the Orbi Pro multiple times a day fixes the issue, so I am pointing more towards the Orbi or configuration being the problem than my ISP.  I do not have to bounce the router.  Wish I could go back about 4 firmwares ago.....I had zero issues.

Message 7 of 9
4Papa
Aspirant

Seems like this update may have broken more than it fixed.  Aside from the Insight app, the system itself doesn't appear any better or worse than before the firmware update.  As far as the Insight app goes, when it works, it does a fair job giving you information and access to the system.  Strangely, within the IOS OS, I've found Insight to be more stable on the iPad platform than iPhone. 

Message 8 of 9
DavidGo
NETGEAR Expert

We are working on a fix for the firmware upgrade issue via the Insight app, for now the following workaround can be used;

1. Go into the SXR80 local UI, go to ADVANCED -> Administration -> NTP Settings
2. Change the "Time Zone" to a different value and then click APPLY.
3. Change the "Time Zone" back to the previous one and then click APPLY.

Regrds

DavidGo

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements