Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Advice for Wi-Fi to Ethernet Bridge/Adapter

BooJangles
Apprentice

Advice for Wi-Fi to Ethernet Bridge/Adapter

Hello all,

I currently have an Orbi Pro setup 1 SRR60 router and 6 SRS60 satellites. 5 are wired backhaul and 1 wireless across a multi home complex.

They are installing some power monitoring equipment (8 devices) at locations around the property (power panels) that do not have any Ethernet cable runs. We have strong WiFi at these locations and instead of running new cable would like to connect wirelessly. The power monitoring devices have only Ethernet connections. There will be one location that will have 6 of these devices.

For the location that has 6 devices, what would you recommend as a Ethernet to WiFi bridge that could handle all 6 devices (I do not have any old routers laying around to act as a bridge). I’m envisioning the six devices plugged into a switch that the WiFi bridge is also plugged into or directly into the bridge if it has enough ports.

For the other 2 locations there will only be one device so I’m assuming something like the WNCE3001.

Thanks in advance,
B
Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BooJangles,

I agree and thought this would be the best solution but I am already at 6 satellites which I believe is the limit?

Actually, the Orbi Pro can now support up to 8 satellites. This might be the solution for your power monitoring equipment.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi BooJangles,

You can actually connect a switch directly to a satellite that is connected thru Ethernet backhaul instead of using a WiFi bridge. May you be able to share us your network topology in order for us to better understand what you want to achieve here.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
BooJangles
Apprentice

Unfortunately the wired satellites are not near the panels where these devices will be. There are also no cable runs to these locations hence looking for the best way to connect to the existing Wi-Fi .

Thanks
Message 3 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BooJangles,

I see. Is it possible for you to use a USB WiFi Adapter to this power monitoring equipment? If yes, then you may check these adapters if this will suffice. You may also create another thread in WiFi Adapters community.

Thank you!

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
davidcheok
Apprentice

@BooJangles wrote:
Unfortunately the wired satellites are not near the panels where these devices will be. There are also no cable runs to these locations hence looking for the best way to connect to the existing Wi-Fi .

Thanks

Rather than buy a whole bunch of devices to stick into your power devices, why not add a satellite and a cheap switch near those devices and add more robustness to your network at the same time? Less things to go wrong and less management hassle. The satellites can connect to the mesh and i doubt those devices will require large data throughput.

Message 5 of 8
BooJangles
Apprentice

I agree and thought this would be the best solution but I am already at 6 satellites which I believe is the limit?

Thanks
Message 6 of 8
BooJangles
Apprentice

No USB , only Ethernet.
Message 7 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@BooJangles,

Actually, the Orbi Pro can now support up to 8 satellites. This might be the solution for your power monitoring equipment.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements