Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Associate Sattelite of Kit K2 to Router of Kit K1

SerLoi
Aspirant

Associate Sattelite of Kit #2 to Router of Kit ~1

Hello

I Have two Kits SXK80 K1 and K2 with 1 router and 2 satellites in each kit.

K1 works fines in AP mode, K1 Router is connected to switch N3 on our network and the 2 K1 satellites are connected on the same network with ethernet.

I don't want to use K2 Router, but I want to use satellite of the K2 Kit with the K1 Router. But there are set up with K2 Router.

=> How Can I set up K2 satellites with the K1 Router ?

I tried sync with buttons, sync and on the K1 router admin page, but result is the same, Satellite shows magenta color 😞

Have any idea ?

Than you in Advance

Serge

Message 1 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Associate Sattelite of Kit #2 to Router of Kit ~1

If you buy a kit, Kn satellite is by default paired with Kn router. You have 2 router. You need to note something:

1. If a SXR80 is under another SXR80, both of them need to be router mode because they will sync internally if one of them is AP mode.

2. powered on K2 satellite by default will connect an online K2 router. To pair with K1, you need to turn off K2 router first and reset K2 satellite. Make K1 router online, reset K2 satellite and push wps button to wirelessly pair them. Once K2 satellite is connected to K1 Router, K2 satellite will not connect K2 router.

Message 2 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

Re: Associate Sattelite of Kit #2 to Router of Kit ~1

Thank you very much for your response  BruceGuo 🙂

To be clear, my goal is 

- use K1 router, not to use K2 router (maybe I will keep it as backup)

- use K1 sat and K2 sat connected to K1 router

- All router and satellites are in the same network 192.168.5.x

- I want that new computers connected with Orbi Wifi or Ethernet of Orbi are in this same network 192.168.5.x

- I don't want router starts a dhcp server (and I hope it's not the default) because of conflicts with my actual dhcp server in AD.

- and obviously, I want that all orbi works in mesh mode with ethernet wired (space between two orbi is to big)

To make this I will

- I will switch my K1 router to Router mode (and check if dhcp server is desactivated)

- K1 router is connected to my network on the switch with Yellow plug

- K1 sat and K2 sat all connected to other switch on the same network (I have 6 switch connected with fiber)

- Add each sat (K1 or K2) with Sync Button

Is it ok like that ?

must I do something else to reach my goal ?

Thank you again

Serge 

Message 3 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

in add, when I checked "Router mode" in the web console, it is written in Help that ALL computers must be connected to the Orbi... but I don't want this, I just want to have WIFI everywhere with the same SSID and let my existing computer connected to my switch...

And if I buy new satellite, I MUST switch to router mode the router to use it ?

Sorry not to understand, but I don't want to make a mistake.

Message 4 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

Router mode seems not to be ok with my network

compare to the router mode help from orbi webpage

?

(sorry for the multiple post)

Message 5 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

- If K1 and K2 satellite are default state and are able to access router via wired, you don't need to press sync button. They would automatically sync configuration.  It can meet your goal

- Orbi Pro BAse supports router and AP mode. In your case, if only 1 router is online, both mode are ok to you but you may need to put a gateway if you select AP mode.

Message 6 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

"but you may need to put a gateway if you select AP mode."

Could you explain me that please ?

Message 7 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

If you select AP mode in Orbi Pro, no device can route traffic to Internet so you need to put a gateway/router in the network.

I believe, if you have Internet access at home, currently you already have a router, so buying Orbi Pro with AP mode settings is fine to extend wifi network.

Message 8 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

Hi

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but It's not a home network, but a pro network. It seems you have not opened the link in my previous post.

Click here to open my network diagram.

I re-explain the state of my network and the problem, sorry for my english

Actually

- K2 sat is not connected to network, and I never plugged K2 router (and I will not for my solution)

- K1 router is in AP mode, K1 router and K1 sat works fine actually

- ALL devices (connected to switch or connected to orbi) are in the same network 192.0168.5.x

- Windows server is the dhcp server to give IP to ALL device (connected to Orbi or not)

what I'd want is: to use K2 sat like in the diagram and paired with K1 router.

I reset K2 sat with K1 router connected like you said in previous post, but K2 stay with oribinal ssid, so not paired with K1 router. (K1 is still in AP mode)

I didn't really understood if it's a mandatory to set K1 router to Router mode ?

If it is, is it ok for all my network (IP, dhcp server...), I don't want make conflicts

If not, what I have to do to pair K2 sat (I tried reset yet)?

I'm lost

Thanks

Message 9 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Your diagram already mention firewall may be also has router function. Orbi Pro with AP mode is fine in this topology. Please forget router mode. What's K2 sat firmware version? Please make sure all are up-to-date, and check K2 satellite status in K1 router's attached device page.

Also, i see the is a looping within 4 switches, is the a design intent for link backup? Please make sure you enables STP/RSTP in the switch. Otherwise, looping issue will causes wired satellite sync failed

Message 10 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

OK I forget Router mode, it's one of the things I wanted to know.

All Orbi are up to date with V4.2.2.130 version, I did this at the beginning.

Click here to see status of K2 Sat in K1 Router page admin

K2 sat is disconnected, maybe Have I to delete then reset K2 to pair?

Loop is normal, switch manage spanning tree and are linked with Fiber with 10Gb.

Message 11 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Yes. You can delete and make sure K2 satellite and K1 router in the same and wire network. They will automatically sync. 

If sync in wired is still not working, please remove the cable of the satellite and see flashing white, take the satellite close the router with a few meters, push WPS button in router and Satellite to see if they can pair. If yes, plug a cable back to the satellite.

Message 12 of 14
SerLoi
Aspirant

It's exactly what I did, the two steps !

wired and wifi with sync button, not success, K2 sat stays with original SSID and not paired (yes it's the same network)

I do it again to be sure, and I let you know

Message 13 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

if it doesn't work, please PM me the satellite's debug file.

Put a cable directly connect to the satellite. The default ip is 192.168.1.250.

Go to debug.htm and click 'start capture' and save debug file.

Are you sure the router is US version and the satellite is also US version?

How to check?

1. Check router's country code is in US. 

2. Check satellite's home page also show US.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements