Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I wire my backhaul on SRC60 satellite?

mattrazzo
Initiate

Can I wire my backhaul on SRC60 satellite?

I have an SRR60 base in my office and 2 SRC60 ceiling satellites.  One of these satellites, in my living room, has a line of sight to the base linearly through 30 feet of wall (i.e. on the same wall, a few rooms away... it's not a good connection).  I was wondering if I could hardwire the connection between the two?  

The SRC60 implies it supports LAG aggregation but it's not clear on if it's just providing this as a service to the end point or as an alternative backhaul to the base.

(A) can I hardwire between the two and avoid the wireless connection?

(B) if not directly, should I go a different route?  ex. forget the satellite and just add another router connected to a switch off my WAN?  Or could I connect the satellite to my switch?

Thanks,

Dan

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mattrazzo
Initiate

As a follow up, I ran a hardline, plugged it in, and it automatically used that line for the back haul   Works great!  I actually ran cable from satallite to a switch, then to the Orbi base and it worked perfectly.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@mattrazzo wrote:

The SRC60 implies it supports LAG aggregation but it's not clear on if it's just providing this as a service to the end point or as an alternative backhaul to the base.

The fine documentation does only show the usage of one LAN port for optional PoE1 power and Ethernet backhaul, p.8:

4. LAN 1 PoE+ port. This port supports both an Ethernet backhaul connection
and an optional PoE+ connection to a device that can provide 802.3at (PoE+) power.
5. LAN 2 port. This port can function as a second Ethernet backhaul connection
in an 802.3ad link aggregation group (LAG) configuration or a static link aggregation
configuration. For more information, see About link aggregation on page 28.

Funny, the only references for Ethernet backhaul on Orni Pro are in the SRC60  UM.

@mattrazzo wrote:

(A) can I hardwire between the two and avoid the wireless connection?

Based on the information in the SRC60 User Manual ... yes.

Unluckily there is zero documentation ref the so called Ethernet backhaul or wired backhaul in the Orbi Pro docs. I would assume that the star topology or the solution with an unmanged*[!!!!!] switch should work - but not the cascade (because of the two SRC60 are always(?) in a LAG.

*I said unmanaged because we know that Orbi and Orbi Pro does make use of STP so this needs to be disabled (globally!) e.g on Smart Managed Pro and Managed switches.

@mattrazzo wrote:

(B) if not directly, should I go a different route?  ex. forget the satellite and just add another router connected to a switch off my WAN?

As shown above - yes. But watch your step if playing with the LAGs ... I have no idea if the deafult is a static LAC or a dynamic 803.ad LACP one ... the documentation, well, ...

@YeZ this is the post I've tried to answer but found several discrepancies and missing docs. 

Message 2 of 3
mattrazzo
Initiate

As a follow up, I ran a hardline, plugged it in, and it automatically used that line for the back haul   Works great!  I actually ran cable from satallite to a switch, then to the Orbi base and it worked perfectly.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements