Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't update SXR80 / SXS80 firmware

Ray-T
Tutor

Can't update SXR80 / SXS80 firmware

Just received, and am setting up my new Orbi Pro system which came with firmware version V3.2.1.102 installed. I'd like to update to the latest  V3.3.0.122 firmware via the web interface but have been unsucessfull using either a WiFi or wired link to the SXS80 satellite. On the firmware update page I always get "Update Failed" for the satellite...

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.46.00 PM.png

I did try a Manual Update for the satellite, which appeared to succeed but when I went back to this page it still shows the original firmware verasioin and the same "Update Failed" message. Also ntoe that the Manual Update page only allows updating the satellite fiormware, the Router isn't available on that page. And finally, I also tried enabling automatic updates but that hasn't helpoed either.

Suggestions?

TIA

-Ray

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

I had the same problem. I solved it by doing it manually which was a little confusing. First you want to update the satellites and they are listed below the router. I only have one satellite, below is my screenshot. In the satellites portion of the list at the bottom select the satellite to be updated and then click the update button. When that was done I came back to this screen and did the Orbi router update which is to "Browse" for the update file and then click the "Upload" button.

It's two steps and you do the last one first. I suppose if you have multiple satelllites they would all appear and you might be able to do them all at once. The docs stress do the satellites first and they are at the bottom section. Not intuitive to go there first.

Duane Mitchell

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.21.04 AM.jpg

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you sign on to the SXS web page first and manually send the FW file to the satellite there using a PC and web browser? After that you should be able to manually update the SXR router. 

Message 2 of 14
Ray-T
Tutor

No, I was signed into the SXR and attempted to update the SXS firmware. It apperared to succeed but later still showed the original firmware. Note that the "Update Failed" message came prior to any attempts to update the firmware. I also wasn't aware I could log directly into the SXS.

My latest issue is that I can no longer stay connected to the SXR for more than a few minutes. I have to disconnect & reconnect the ethernet cable to log into it again. Cycling power didn't fix this. I suspect the hardware is bad and am consideribg returning it. I've wasted 2 days trying to get this to set up.

Message 3 of 14
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Ray-T 

Please share the debug logs from router and satellite.

You can access https://<ip address of router/satellite>/debug.htm

Click on start capture before you start the FW upgrade. Save the debug log once you hit the issue.

Send the debug logs via PM.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 4 of 14

I had the same problem. I solved it by doing it manually which was a little confusing. First you want to update the satellites and they are listed below the router. I only have one satellite, below is my screenshot. In the satellites portion of the list at the bottom select the satellite to be updated and then click the update button. When that was done I came back to this screen and did the Orbi router update which is to "Browse" for the update file and then click the "Upload" button.

It's two steps and you do the last one first. I suppose if you have multiple satelllites they would all appear and you might be able to do them all at once. The docs stress do the satellites first and they are at the bottom section. Not intuitive to go there first.

Duane Mitchell

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.21.04 AM.jpg

Message 5 of 14
Ray-T
Tutor

I was finally able to complete the update yesterday and agree the process is way more confusing than it need be. I also had other issues, like Safari not willing to accept the certificate for the Netgear download site, just a loop where it kept warning about it despite my attempts to accept it. Firefox worked. For this.
As Duane mentioned, the satellite needs to be updated first - if this is documented somewhere I didn't see it. Early on I had tried updating the satellite first but although it was reported as successful, the same old satellite firmware was reported afterward. I don't know if this was the cause but for that first unsuccessful attempt, but I was connected directly to the router. This time, which did work, I was connected directly to the satellite. The interesting thing was that although I was connected to the satellite, the page looked the same as when I was logged in through the router.
Once the satellite was updated, I was able to update the router with no further problems.
Perhaps these comments will help someone else.
-Ray

Message 6 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

The satellite firmware upgrade function was broken when firmware is < 3.2.5.102. So router firmware upgrade is blocked by satellite. (This firmware release mentioned the problem: https://kb.netgear.com/000063639/SXR80-SXS80-Firmware-Version-3-2-5-102)

The workaround is to manually access satellite's web page and upgrade it.

Afterwards, when new firmware release, you won't hit the problem anymore.

Sorry for the inconvince. 

Bruce

Message 7 of 14
racoon
Aspirant

hello can you help me to fix a problem with the vlan id on my netgear orbi srx80?

Im not able to use the netgear orbi sxr80 with my ftth internet 1000mbps. The connection use ppoe and a vlan id which i have configured on the orbi router. The router connects properly to internet, but i cannot use internet on my wired pc but only on wifi, and the internet connection through wifi is stuck at 130 mbps instead of 400-800 mbps (which is the speed that i have on wifi with a netgear orbi router ax 4200) even though immediatelly after the reboot the wireless internet reaches speeds of up 500-800 mbps for a very short period of time before stucking at 130 mbps. What can i do? Is there a way to fix this problem?

Message 8 of 14
phoenix10386
Tutor

I had the same firmware and, consequently, the same issue. Updated the firmware manually by uploading the file to the satellite and then the router, and everything works normally now. Got myself the Orbi Pro SXK80 in Janaury 2022, came with the same firmware as OP.

Message 9 of 14
phoenix10386
Tutor

Safari is where I struggled as well. Firefox worked, and that is how I access Orbi settings on macOS. Funnily, Safari works on iOS. 

Message 10 of 14
racoon
Aspirant

Message 11 of 14
racoon
Aspirant

Message 12 of 14
GraemePi
Aspirant

Its a bit poor that I bought a very expensive router and 2 satellites yesterday and have to waste time to find it's got duff firmware in it that you've know about since the start of the year...

Message 13 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

We had a bug on firmware upgrade when SXK80 firmware version is less than 3.2.5.x. 

You need to manually upgrade the firmware to resolve the auto-upgrade issue.

Bruce

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements