Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Combining 2 Orbi Pro systems

skrid216
Aspirant

Combining 2 Orbi Pro systems

I believe I know the answer to this, but for some reason, I still think it should work the way I want it to.

I have two Orbi Pro systems, original SRR60 router with 4 satellites.  In the hopes of extending the coverage I have in my home, I purchased a second SRR60 router with 2 SRS60 satellites.

My original plan was to add the second router in AP mode, connected to the first router via ethernet.  I have done this, and things seem to be working fine.

The second part of my plan was to add the two new satellites to the existing mesh network of my first router.  However, even after attempting to factory reset the satellites, I could not add them to my existing SRR60 router.  After investigation, it seems that they would just reassociate with the 2nd SRR60 router even though it is in AP mode.

Any thoughts on how I might go about doing this?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Combining 2 Orbi Pro systems

If the FW version is the same across all units, and you use the 1st SRRs web page to add new SRS process, the SRR should see the 2nd set of SRS. I'd do this with the 2nd SRR turned OFF. 

Possible limited on how many SRS can be added to the SRR? 4 is pretty good. 

How big is this home or building? Sq Ft. 

Message 2 of 6
skrid216
Aspirant

FW is the same on the two SRRs, so my assumption is that the SRSs from the second set are also the same.  For some reason, whether I used the Orbi app, the webpage, or by pressing the sync button the first SRR, it would never “see” either of the new SRSs.  (All of this was done with the second SRR powered off.)

I think I have seen somewhere that the 7 second factory reset doesn’t always work and there are some longer sequences I may need to try.

My house is about 6600 sq ft, with three levels…concrete in some places (due to addition).  I’ve found that the only way to reliably get the mesh connected is to have the current satellites within 20-25 feet of the router.  This completely limits the range of the satellites.

My understanding is that the limit of satellites to a router is 6 (which is why I purchased the 2nd set of two satellites).  Was hoping to have all six off the main router and the second router as an additional wired AP.

I may be asking for too much…

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the building material of this house? 

20-25feet between the SRR and SRS is too close. 30 feet is recommended starting range between them. 

Message 4 of 6
skrid216
Aspirant

Primarily drywall with wood studs.  Nothing crazy.

If I move them further than 20-25 feet, the backhaul switches to 2.4 GHz which significantly slows the speeds...

Message 5 of 6
skrid216
Aspirant

So, I was able to finally reset the two additional satellites and sync them with my original SRR60 router. I now see 6 satellites on my network map.

However, the last satellite that I synced still has the factory default WiFi information, versus my network. I have power cycled and it won't pick up my network settings, but it does show that it is connected to my router as the backhaul. Any suggestions?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements