Re: Does 2.1.2.18 make Orbi Pro unstable?

tinypocket
Guide

Does 2.1.2.18 make Orbi Pro unstable?

I know some folks gave up on the regular Orbi and switched to the Orbi Pro and found it to be stable. Up until yesterday it's latest firmware was 1.12.1.28 which was stable. Similarly, 1.11.0.20 was stable for the standard Orbi for many users who downgraded (even w/ chromecast/andorid devices) and disabled auto updates.

2.1.2.18 was just relased for Orbi Pro. I'm curious, for those with Orbi Pro, have you updated your Orbi Pro to 2.1.2.18, and, are you seeing dropping issues now?

Thinking about trying the Orbi Pro, but now that I see the 2.1.2.18 firmware for Orbi Pro, I'm sceptical that it is stable.

Message 1 of 12
wase4711
Luminary

thanks for the notice that its avaialble; just grabbed it, so I will post if there are issues

Message 2 of 12
tneorg
Aspirant

I just updated the 2.1.2.18 and everything is working fine. They moved the Enable Daisy Chain topology from the debug page to the Wireless Page. It was auto enabled after restart. 

The whole Orbi Pro has been much more reliable than the original Orbi. I would suggest rebooting everything from the ground up after the update, as the units need to properly connect. I noticed in the Attached Devices page that when the satellites were booting up there was all sort of confusion - I think they were trying to connect to each other using Daisy Chain. After about 5 minutes everything settled down and it's all been smooth sailing. So far. I'll post back if there is anything that crops up.

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 3 of 12
wase4711
Luminary

anyone enable "fast roaming"?

I dont have it enabled, and wodering if it does anything useful

thanks

Message 4 of 12
Richard1864
Luminary

Fast roaming is essential for activities like WiFi calling. If you have used a wireless extender to expand your Wi-Fi router's reach, you 've probably experienced the frustration of dropped connections when moving between coverage areas. Or maybe you 've chosen to give your extender's network a different name, but have to constantly remind family members, and yourself, to manually switch networks to get the best connection.

The truth is, your Wi-Fi devices have a big say in determining when to switch connections between your router and extender. But they can be helped in making the decision. Enterprises have long relied on networks of many access points (APs) to provide seamless Wi-Fi coverage. These systems rely on standards such as 802.11k/v/r to ensure fast and smooth transition, or "roaming", among APs.

Simply put, “k” presents viable access points to a device, while “v ' provides the device with information about the discovered access points. Finally, “r“ uses fast transition methodology to speed up the wireless device 's authentication to the new AP it has chosen to connect to.
Message 5 of 12
wase4711
Luminary

so, If I use wifi calling in my house with zero issues, and fast roam off, I shouldnt bother to turn it on?

it seems like the less you modify these Orbi units, the better they work

Message 6 of 12
Richard1864
Luminary

No, I would turn it ON. That way you ensure your phone stays connected to the network as you move around the house. Your phone may not be switching between router and satellite like It should because you have Fast Roaming disabled, and you could be switching between cellular and WiFi calling without realizing it. WiFi calling was an example I used. Laptops, tablets, smart watches, security systems also take advantage of Fast Roaming as well. It’s not just WiFi calling that uses it.
Message 7 of 12
Richard1864
Luminary

I have Fast Roaming enabled, and my Orbi Pro system is very very stable.
Message 8 of 12
wase4711
Luminary

ok, will turn it on and see what happens.

is your Orbi setup as a router or an AP?

Message 9 of 12
Richard1864
Luminary

I am set up as a router. I also have Jumbo Frames enabled in the debug menu and daisy chain disabled under Advanced Wireless.
Message 10 of 12
wase4711
Luminary

how do you get intot he debug menu?

thanks

Message 11 of 12
Richard1864
Luminary

Example: 192.168.1. 1/debug.htm. My Orbi’s IP address is different but that’s how you get there. Then you sign in just like you do normally do for your Orbi. .
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements