Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware 2.3.1.100

Flash008
Luminary

Firmware 2.3.1.100

I am not sure what to say about this new firmware.

My parents alway taught me, “If you don’t have something nice to say, then say nothing at all”.

Yet, I was also taught, “if you have a problem and you don’t tell anyone about it, then its your fault if it doesn’t get fixed”.

So, what should I do when Netgear sold me $1000 worth of tech products, it is plagued with problems, I (and many others) have told Netgear about it, Netgear replies with template copy/paste answers which resolve nothing, and months (almost one year later) many of the problems are not resolved?

As I look at this firmware 2.3.1.100 and review the release notes, I cannot help myself when I smile, laugh sarcastically, and realize there is no hope that Netgear will ever “make good” with Orbi Pro.

1. “Allows separate SSID on the 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands on the Wireless 2 profile.” Question; What value does this bring? It was a requested feature to allow separate BSSIDs for 2.4 and 5 gigahertz. But Netgear is allowing this ONLY on the second profile. Does it not occur to Netgear that the PRIMARY profile is the main target, and furthermore using the second profile would prevent access to any devices connected to profile 1. My use case would be, and I assume most others;

A. All thick clients and trusted clients using Profile 1. I have some devices I would like limit to 2.4Ghz and other devices would use 5Ghz. All Business-Class WIFI products allow this.

B. All IOT devices and non-trusted devices would go to Profile 2. Again, separate band SSIDs to allow efficiency of bands, and some devices are poorly made and need to be FORCED to specific bands. Again, ALL BUSINESS-CLASS WIFI PRODUCTS OFFER THIS!

C. Guest network enabled for visitors. Common sense....

A, B and C all separated via VLANs....Firewall rules control access between networks...Router Mode and AP Mode.

1. “Debug log download for Insight. DNS lookup support from Insight.Security Fixes:PSV-2018-0147, PSV-2018-0296, Bug Fixes:Cannot use double-byte characters to block sites by keyword. Enable Traffic Meter on IE 11 browser.”

You focused TWO fixes for Insight Manager!!! TWO fixes for security. TWO fixes for Web Browsers

REALLY!!!???

Do you not see a HUGE problem with your list of priorities? The security fixes I can understand. But Insight Manager!?!?! If my car has a busted engine, and you are OVERDUE with those promised features, do you think it is wise to focus on things that are not part of the base product functionality and prior commitments made? Is it your HOPE that we will get distracted with these other work-efforts and somehow forget about our prior problems and expectations?

I also own a Netgear Orbi RBS50Y. Question; How do I apply this new firmware code when the Outdoor Orbi (you claimed was compatible with Orbi Pro) clearly does not have the same software code lifecycle? How can my wireless network utilize any new features when I have a rogue AP not running the same code?

You have a product that you marketed as BUSINESS-CLASS. Yet when you compare Orbi Pro to other business class products. I, and MANY OTHERS, ask you...”What makes Orbi Pro a business product?

You started a thread LAST YEAR (2018) asking Orbi Pro customers “what features they wanted and needed”. You received a thorough response. You responded SEVERAL TIMES that you understood the requests and “THE FEATURES WOULD BE ADDED TO A LATER FIRMWARE”.

Where is it!?!?!?!?!?!

VLAN Support per SSID (Router and AP mode)

SYSLOG

SEPARATE 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs on all profiles

True monitoring of clients (what node they are connected, technical details of that client, etc, etc...and accurately displayed)

WHY DOES THE MAGENTA LIGHT STAY ON USING AP MODE AND ETHERNET BACKHAUL?????? You force us to use the LAN ports (not the WAN port) otherwise Ethernet BACKHAUL doesn’t function properly PER NETGEAR. Still not fixed....

SNMP

These are very BASIC business features that ALL BUSINESS-CLASS WIFI PRODUCTS SUPPORT!!!

If you aren’t going to support these business features, then why do you insist to categorize Orbi Pro in “Business Solutions”?

And why do you comment in this forum that “We will do this in a later firmware”...Clearly you will not. Or, your dev team is so incompetent that it takes them a year TO NOT DELIVER IT. You are already advertising your next Orbi WIFI 6 product line. Do you think we are stupid enough to invest more cash into more Netgear products after seeing the quality of support you currently offer???? Visit ANY internet web forum (Reddit, SmallBizBulder, etc, etc, etc...Amazon too) and you will find a very consistent opinion that Netgear makes good hardware tech products, but your Software, Customer Service, Support and Dev teams are USELESS! Does Netgear care about this opinion that is all over the WWW? Do you realize your poor support and software, etc, etc is preventing me (and many other) purchasing other Netgear products. I have spent the last 2-3 months investigating 10 Gibabit switches. Unfortunately, there is ZERO chance of purchasing anything with Netgear’s name on it. $5000 that will not go to you. Now multiply my choice by the 100s or 1000s of other customers who feel the same way. I guess repeat business is not something Netgear is concerned with.

If you wish to respond to me via private message, then please response with an offer to buy-back all of my Netgear Orbi Pro products, including the cost of warranties I purchased. At this time I see no reasons to believe Netgear has ANY intentions to “make good” on Orbi Pro. Clearly the focus is on Insight Manager and future Orbi WIFI 6 products...so you can make more money on the next SUCKER.

If I am wrong about my comments above, then please correct them. I believe ALL ORBI PRO CUSTOMERS deserve a very detailed explanation of Orbi Pro’s future, what features we can expect added, and an estimate timeline.

Thank You

P.S. I am sending this post directly to your CEO and executive office.

Message 1 of 46

Accepted Solutions
NaderA
NETGEAR Expert

All, 

We have received a list of comments from Flash008 and are reviewing them. Please note that there is nothing in the world that makes us happier than seeing happy and satisfied customers and users of our products. At NTGR, we take pride in our products and seek to please our customers.

In regards to the response that MrJosh provided, his point is that Orbi Pro was designed to be a DIY product for business owners that are not network engineers. I has the features to meet the needs of that group of users. But it looks like the success of the product, has resulted in unforseen expectations for features such as SNMP or Syslog which is not something that a small business owner would require.

in other words, Orbi Pro was not meant to replace a product like our WAC540 that has all kinds of bells and whistles.

Please bear with us as we are going through all the comments received which is a summary of all of your points and we'll have a dialogue and work through them. 

Finally, we are doing our best to wow our customers, but please don't interpret this as commitment to implement features.

Orbi Pro Product Management  

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 46

All Replies
Flash008
Luminary

FYI...

Email sent to Netgear’s executive staff.

Patrick, or whom at Netgear this would concern,

First, my name is ########. You can reach me at this email or via telephone at ########.

I am writing you concerning a Netgear product problem you have and I believe will require higher-level intervention.

Please allow me to direct your attention to the Netgear Support forum. You can find it via these links.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/Firmware-2-3-1-100/m-p/1757967#M11...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/Are-we-getting-any-new-Orbi-Pro-fi...

I am a Netgear customer and I believe the Netgear Orbi Pro product team is unable to handle the proper management of his product. This mis-management is leading myself and others to believe Netgear is engaging in false advertising, bait-and-switch tactics, and other non-ethical practices. I am not sure if the root of this problem stems via leadership or via the overseas technical staff you may be using for this product. It may be caused by a lack of ability or other area of deficiency. But clearly, something is broken.

I am requesting someone within the Netgear executive office review this situation and provide any guidance and/or resolution possible.

Thank You,

#########

Message 2 of 46
ibmman69
Star

I made a post yesterday about many of these issues yesterday in the regular Orbi forum because this one was down for the past few days.

They supposedly moved it to this forum, but I can't find it, and when I click on it in my profile it just brings me to the main forum.

I agree w/ everything you're saying esp related to the SSID issues. Auto updating seems to be another common complaint that Netgear shruggs off and says we've installed the firmware incorrectly. Sorry. No. In the GUI when it's selected it's still in place according to the command line, so it's a Netgear problem not a user issue (at least in my case).

I have spent at least 3-4 hours fixing broken IoT and smart devices devices because of this SSID garbage. I still can't get my Fujitsu scanner back up and working correctly, and I spent an hour with it alone this morning.

They clearly don't care what customers for these products on their "higher" end want/need. People have complained about this SSID stuff for as long as I've owned the product. I should've sent this stuff back as soon as I realized a work around was needed to create separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. THEN they take away the work around, but add the feature to WiFi 2??? Why not add it everywhere. Not everyone wants all these SSIDs floating around. Now I have to have one that is Admin for the main channel and then my 2 network names on the secondary.

The whole thing is just ridiculous. If they can't get simple stuff like this right then I'm left to wonder the security of this thing.

At this point, after the time I've wasted over the last week or so, I want them to buy this setup back from me. I don't want their product anymore.

Maybe we need to see if there are any class action lawyers willing to take this up?

Message 3 of 46
ibmman69
Star

I propose we start and over/under pool on how long before anyone from Netgear responds, and even gives lip service to our concerns...

Message 4 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Well, I am hoping within 2-3 days. But I would accept a week (especially if executive staff gets involved). I have decided to approach this from the bottom and the top. We must assume the Netgear staff that monitors this forum are lower level managers and technical staff. I have moved this concern to the office of CEO at Netgear. I intend to be persistent concerning this and will reach out continuously to the CEO, Marketing, PR and other Netgear BUs. I would assume, at some point, a top ranking official will finish their golf game and begin sending some emails, and making some calls.....

Then we wait, watch, and see what happens.

If nothing happens, then we all must accept this problem is company wide! And that observation should cement any opinions you have about doing any future business with Netgear.

I am hoping this is an isolated issue and limited to the BU handling this product.

I have worked in IT for 2+ decades. Most companies have a product manager that handles specific products (conception-to-market). This person should be able to engage very high-level Netgear people and "splash the water" to get something done.

So, let the games begin. Everyone can post their “bet” about “how long for response”. My bet will be 1 week to get something meaningful from Netgear. And not one of thier passive, copy/paste, useless, responses.

If any of you receive private messages from Netgear offering buy-back options. I would suggest you contact the CEO office and inform them. I support any resolution you choose as a free market consumer, but it would be shameful to accept a buy-back as this would only reflect Netgear’s position that “they have no intention of honoring the Orbi Pro product”.

Message 5 of 46
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Flash008,

In regards to the feature requests that are listed. They have been submitted to engineering and have been under review. I do not have a confirmation if they are planning on being implemented as we do offer wireless access points that support these features. At this time the Orbi Pro does not support SSID seperation on the wireless bands as well as VLAN support in AP mode as these features being requested are found in our access point products and not the Orbi Pro.

As for improvements with Orbi Pro with Insight, any features being implemented with Insight is handled by our Insight team who do not develop the firmware builds for Orbi Pro. Hopefully this helps.

Message 6 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

MrJosh,

First, let me express appreciation for the bravery of your response. As you can see, we were expecting to be completely ignored. Hence, why I have begun communication with your executive team and other upper-level officials.

Unfortunately your response plays directly into the concerns I, and others, have expressed.

The list of features requested has “SEVERAL” replies from Netgear indicating, leading, implying and flat-out committing to the release of many of the features requested. I don’t have time to go back and find each Netgear response which states; “To be released in a future firmware”, “We agree with the request and are working on adding this soon”, etc, etc, etc. The valid point being, Netgear has responded in such a way to leave NO OTHER interpretation of, “The feature will be added”. For you to now claim “the features were reviewed, and engineering is PLANNING to implement these features only validated my comment of “When? Its been almost a year, no communication from Netgear, and it’s almost time that we move on to the next cycle of WIFI 6 products that Netgear is currently promoting”.

Furthermore, “At this time Orbi Pro does not support SSID separation on the wireless bands as well as vLAN supporting AP mode as these features being requested are found in our access point products and not Orbi”…Josh, MrJosh, Have you ever heard the term “double-speaking”?

1. “At this time”, implies something will happen in a future time.

2. “They have been submitted to engineering and have been under review”, implies you are still working on adding these features.

3. “I do not have a confirmation if they are planning on being implemented as we do offer wireless access points that support these features.”, implies you actually don’t know anything, and you are insinuating it will not happen because you don’t want Orbi Pro competing with other Netgear WIFI products.

4. “At this time the Orbi Pro does not support SSID separation on the wireless bands”, You do know you just released firmware 2.3.1.100 that “DOES” support SSID separation on the wireless bands via “profile 2”. So this statement from you is “WRONG” and shows an “intent” for Orbi to offer this in some capacity. Although, currently a useless capacity via firmware 2.3.1.100.

5. “as well as VLAN support in AP mode as these features being requested are found in our access point products and not the Orbi Pro.” Again, several Netgear responses showing a crystal clear plan to implement this feature “in a future firmware update”. Now, you imply that we must buy other Netgear products that offer these features as Netgear has no intent to implement these feature requests.

6. “As for improvements with Orbi Pro with Insight, any features being implemented with Insight is handled by our Insight team who do not develop the firmware builds for Orbi Pro.” Thank you for confirming the right hand does not talk to the left hand at Netgear. I think most of us learned that a long time ago….Or maybe only me. Your quality of software, technical and customer support, has reflected this truth abundantly over the last years.

MrJosh, looking back at you response. Do you now understand “double-speaking”. You say one thing, then your next words invalidate you previous comment.

MrJosh, it is not my intent to be rude, make fun, or cause an argument for the sake of arguing. I truly spent my very specious time writing these comments seeking a quality, timely, and truthful resolution. This is something others and myself seem to struggle deeply and widely with concerning Netgear. I don’t know your title within Netgear and your relationship with your teams and top level management. It is my “assumption” you are a mid or lower level employee (or contractor) who has the dirty job of reading and responding to this forum. Hence, I do not blame you for the Netgear Orbi pro short-comings, false advertising, bait-and switch tactics, ignoring the customer, incompetent software development, lack of software lifecycle releases, lack of product alignment, and Netgear inconsistency with responses throughout this forum and other forums as well. MrJosh, it’s not your fault (I assume), and again I applaud your bravery for responding to this thread.

Unfortunately your response only validates everything others, and myself, have claimed.

I am not the person who looks for lawsuits. I would much rather, shake hands, agree to disagree, I return your property, you return my property (money), we insure both parties can walk away without any hardship. But Netgear has really opened the door to SEVERAL arguments from MANY customers that you mis-led them. You advertised a product that does not perform well within it’s base functions. You committed to features that you have not and “imply” will not release. It’s all documented in this forum, Google cached, and sitting in many forum members email boxes. With the handful of attorneys I have interacted with, some looking for that quick blood sucking opportunity to make a quick dollar…..Netgear has really exposed themselves. I don’t know what country you sit in, but in The United States of America, we have MANY laws that are designed to punish companies and regular people whom sell “something”, that does not work properly, advertises and commits to features, only to not provide them, and expects to keep the money. I am “confident” each of these concerns a half-witty attorney could prove to a courtroom jury….

Many of your Orbi Pro customers will tell that Judge and Jury their purchase was solely based on advertisement and commitments communicated by Netgear. Many of these customers are well outside of their return policies and have no other method to seek reimbursement for a product that will never perform, meet or execute, the abilities they were led to believe were possible by Netgear.

This is bad business, unethical, immoral and in many countries…AGAINST THE LAW.

HINT: Apple has been sued for far, FAR, less. And they lost.

So, what can we do to work with NEtrgear to resolve these issues?

What expectations should be have concerning the features requested, and committed to?

What is an estimated timeline?

What method of recourse should Orbi Pro customers expect from Netgear if you are unable or unwilling to “make good” on your several comments, implies, and other mis-leading statements that we would get something you are now claiming we will not.

Thank You MrJosh for your help and communication. We look forward to a very quick reply. Perhaps you should involve your management before your executives have a chance to get involved. Executive staff loves a proactive employee. Just a suggestion. With the 100+ views within 24 hours on this thread, I assume, maybe, some of them, might be your bosses.

Goodnight

Message 7 of 46
ibmman69
Star

I agree Netgear's response, esp. RE: the SSID issue, is uninformed as the router does infact support dual SSID on the Wi-Fi 2 profile in the  latest firmware, and DID support dual SSID on Wi-Fi 1 via the command line in previous firmwares. Totally uninformed about the prodcut in that regard.

Also didn't address why there are complaints of auto updating when auto update is turned off.

When people buy products they don't by them with the understanding features may be REMOVED in the future. If anything, people expect features will be added. Why did Netgear remove the command line functionality for dual SSIDs? To sell us some other piece of hardware we don't want/actually need?

Furthermore, we don't care about the features of AP products Netgear also sells. We already have a Netgear product that isn't living up to what it would do when we bought it, at least for me. Why would we want to buy an AP for a feature Netgear may just take away in the future?

I can tell you for sure I will not buy any more Netgear products, ever.

Again, I want Netgear to either fix this SSID and firmware issue, or I want them to buy this stuff back from me. They've altered it in a way that makes unsuitable for my use case.

Message 8 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Great feedback ibmman69,

Let us hope we get a real response from Netgear that is based on facts, someone who is knowledgable and able to answer our questions, resolve our problems and set expectation accurately. I believe MrJosh was doing the "best he could", but unfortunately he may not be fully in the loop. I never attack effort,  even if that effort is misguided.

One thing that will not be tolerable is the typical Netgear responses that send us in circles, double-speaking, comments that do not reflect facts, and someone who does not have the authority to make real progress. It’s time for real leadership staff to do their jobs and own the problem.

Anything less is not acceptable.

I am going to send another followup email to the Netgear Executive staff, along with PR and a few others.

At some point we will find the right pressure point within Netgear and see some real resolution.

I would hope others would join me. The more voices they hear, the more serious they will take us.

To the owners of this forum, YOUR SILENCE WOULD NOT BE WISE…It’s only a factor of time before your top-brass leadership takes over, and one thing is very KNOWN in the corporate world. When the top brass is required to get their hands dirty in this lower-level stuff. Usually that is not a good thing for the lower-level staff.

Message 9 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Great feedback ibmman69,

Let us hope we get a real response from Netgear that is based on facts, someone who is knowledgable and able to answer our questions, resolve our problems and set expectation accurately. I believe MrJosh was doing the "best he could", but unfortunately he may not be fully in the loop. I never attack effort,  even if that effort is misguided.

One thing that will not be tolerable is the typical Netgear responses that send us in circles, double-speaking, comments that do not reflect facts, and someone who does not have the authority to make real progress. It’s time for real leadership staff to do their jobs and own the problem.

Anything less is not acceptable.

I am going to send another followup email to the Netgear Executive staff, along with PR and a few others.

At some point we will find the right pressure point within Netgear and see some real resolution.

I would hope others would join me. The more voices they hear, the more serious they will take us.

To the owners of this forum, YOUR SILENCE WOULD NOT BE WISE…It’s only a factor of time before your top-brass leadership takes over, and one thing is very KNOWN in the corporate world. When the top brass is required to get their hands dirty in this lower-level stuff. Usually that is not a good thing for the lower-level staff.

I just added MARK MERRILL and JOHN MCHUGH to my email thread.

Message 10 of 46
ibmman69
Star

I know it's not Orbi Pro, but maybe we should all head over here and comment on this glowing Orbi sales pitch:

https://kinjadeals.theinventory.com/upgrade-to-a-reader-favorite-mesh-network-for-just-200-183514726...
Message 11 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Tempting, but I really want to stay professional and on-point. If we derail this, then it becomes a spaghetti mess with no clear initiative.

So let us keep "on message" and wait for the executive response. Unless we get surprised with a better response from someone else.

Of course, I respect everyones right to post what they want. My recommendation would be to have your problems well explained, offer a method (suggestion) for resolution. As the old saying goes, “never come with a complaint/problem if you can’t offer a solution”.

I am also going to expand this outside this forum.

Message 12 of 46
schumaku
Guru

Good job @ibmman69  @Flash008  .... !

One point worth adding: The ability to manage VLANs on GC (new some GSxxx[T]¦[TP]|[TPP], too!) and WAC 5xx is very simple and intuitive by using Insight.

Considering Insight is supported to manage Orbi Pro, we expect that Orni Pro, GC, WAC5xx, ... would seamlessly integrate. For a "Pro" product, this is definitely not asked to much. Hey there is some effort ongoing to fix the also VLAN-feature incomplete [only four vs. 256 in the specs, no tagging, ...] for the BR500 router, and I "feel" somehow that these products have some family and code relations.

Very happy I'm no longer the only whiner in the dark.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 13 of 46
ibmman69
Star

Welp, it doesn't look like we're getting anywhere...

Message 14 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Actually, we did get somewhere much faster than we thought. My apologies for not responding to the forum yesterday. I did receive a response from someone higher in the food chain. I am hoping to see some real progress next week and possibly the week after. To show respect to the person I am interacting with I will not share their name, only to say it is the product manager. Given my experience in the tech world, the product manager is a good person to work with, and that person "typically" has enough status to make some waves and get stuff done.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Enjoy your Sunday, and may your Monday not be too hard for you.

Cheers….

Message 15 of 46
ibmman69
Star

Thanks! Sounds good. Please keep us all posted.

Message 16 of 46
NaderA
NETGEAR Expert

All, 

We have received a list of comments from Flash008 and are reviewing them. Please note that there is nothing in the world that makes us happier than seeing happy and satisfied customers and users of our products. At NTGR, we take pride in our products and seek to please our customers.

In regards to the response that MrJosh provided, his point is that Orbi Pro was designed to be a DIY product for business owners that are not network engineers. I has the features to meet the needs of that group of users. But it looks like the success of the product, has resulted in unforseen expectations for features such as SNMP or Syslog which is not something that a small business owner would require.

in other words, Orbi Pro was not meant to replace a product like our WAC540 that has all kinds of bells and whistles.

Please bear with us as we are going through all the comments received which is a summary of all of your points and we'll have a dialogue and work through them. 

Finally, we are doing our best to wow our customers, but please don't interpret this as commitment to implement features.

Orbi Pro Product Management  

Message 17 of 46
schumaku
Guru

@NaderA  for non-networking engineers Orbi and especially Orbi Pro have a long way to go. Chime back when Orbi Pro is a business class product like the Insight manageable switches and WAC. Hint: VLAN support. by VLAN RSTP, ... user friendly Mesh (just "throw in" wireless, wired, on whatever switch, no problems with network switch STP, in whatever combination, no need to configure wired or daisychain or spoke or whatever interesting things non-network-engineers do - these things must be done automatically. So you see .... I was never involved in Orbi or Orbi Pro Beta .... otherwise Netgear would have heard a lot of noise. Any kind of combination must be possible - a consumer "just" want to plug a cable, a wire, a switch, and does not want to care about whatever design limitations and configuration requirements. Any "random" installations of Orbi/Orbi Pro satellites must be possible. Take a Orbi router, two satellites and set-up. Need to extend the satellite in the barn with a switch and another satellite ... just plug it. And so on. 

And for the network engineers: Please provide configuration information so their switches STP and RSTP and MSTP switched networks are not messed up along with the Orbi addition to the network. 

You don't have to be a network engineer to set-up an Insight Network and have properly set-up network, with multiple wireless, VLAN, correct networking.

There is nothing that stops NTGR from making Orbi Pro properly using VLANs instead of the consumer L2.5 filter, only causing issues. And the way I everyone here understood the "tell us what we have to enhance" was taken as a word. Fact is - we got nothing. No problem, we will continue to push Insight even more to customers disappointed with Orbi Pro.

When will the BR500 be ready to be a business router by the way - I mean beyond of the Orbi-like-four-per-port-"VLANs"? Probably never. Face it: It's simply the wrong platform for a business class product. That's why Orbi Pro does not make progress, too.

We need a real security appliance for the Insight product line, not a poorly customized consumer board in an even worse designed rack mount enclosure.

@Flash008 @ibmman69 - food for thought.

Regards,

-Kurt.

PS. As of now, the WAC540 SSID VLAN config does not work (probably related to the static LAG) - only the first SSID and VLAN works reliably, anything else goes mad. Similar, the to members of the WAC540 don't properly identify on the link layer LLDP-MED does only work on the second, non-PoE interface. Asking for months to get this fixed ... business products, yeah. 

Message 18 of 46
ShawnC
Apprentice

Sorry, but I could not disagree with this stement more.

The features you pointed out in this reply are extremely basic and featured on most home/consumer routers. That they are not included on a "business" focused router is rather dissapointing. 

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the Orbi Pro OS/Software is based on OpenWRT. If that is the case, the code to do these things is already there. This should just be a case of enabling features then mapping them in your GUI. 

Why not just open up the command line for us so we can do this ourselves? or give us an open source version of the firmware so we can add packages and save them so they won't be lost with every reboot? If we go in via telnet and try to make changes the permissions on the root drive reset and writing becomes impossible. Why? Do you have any idea how many of these you would sell if you let owners (us, the ones that paid for these devices that initially advertised they could do much of what we are requesting) install and config the packages we want?

Message 19 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

I think the comments being made by all of you are great. I think we are making our opinions, facts and expectations very clear! At this time I have decided to “be quiet” for a few days. I am going to demonstrate patients now that we have a response from someone who is truly “influential”. If Nadar can’t resolve our problems, then no one can.

Having worked in the tech world for 2 decades I, and all of us, need to be realistic. It will take a few days for Nadar, and Netgear, to discuss things internally and prepare their response to this. I would expect to hear “something” that is “meaningful” by next week. This does not mean we should expect a new firmware with all our desires and problems fixed next week (LOL!!!). But we should get a SOLID response with a very clear list of Netgear commitments and estimate delivery dates.

So, let us continue to share our SPECIFIC concerns with Orbi Pro, and “try” to be clear, concise, offer recommendations, and be constructive.

The idea of this thread is to engage with Netgear with a common goal of resolution, but not to create “b!1$h” session. LOL!

Thank you all for joining me and sharing your thoughts and let’s continue to work together and make Orbi Pro something that matches expectations.
Message 20 of 46
ibmman69
Star

Any update on this? I don't want this thread to die.

Message 21 of 46
Flash008
Luminary

Ibmman69,

Have no fear. This thread is far from dead.

NaderA is currently on vacation and should return within the next week.

NadarA has the Orbi Pro team reviewing the entire forum, evaluating our requests (expectations), and determining thier response. We should expect this response within the next week shortly after NadarA’s return. This does not mean NEW FIRMWARE. It means Netgear will communicate to us thier commitments and set our expectations honestly and concisely. Some of us may not like the responses to some items, but I am confident they will hande most of our concerns.

So, let us keep this thread “on-topic”. Share your concerns, expectations, and remember....any complaint from you will require your recommendation(s). Don’t just complain.....We have the ear of some very high ranking Netgear staff and we need to establish a professional relationship with them, that involves working together to fix Orbi Pro and make it the product we expect and deserve.

Let us all enjoy a Happy Father’s Day. And for those without kids...a great weekend. Let us wait for Netgear’s response in the coming days.

Message 22 of 46
Yōkai
Aspirant

Big thank you to flash008 for all the time and effort he is putting into this, we are lucky to have you on our side.

Message 23 of 46
ThaMichie
Tutor

Betreff: Firmware 2.3.1.100

Since I upgraded to 2.3.1.100 Orbi sends out 2x the same SSID of network 2.

SSID seperation for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz is turned off.

Downgrading to the previous firmware fixes this problem, a reinstall with the new firmware does not help.

Also the Guest network just goes back to the login page when clients try to connect. Also a bug present since last firmware.

I wonder how well these "new features" are being tested by Netgear as this is unacceptable for a business device!

Please fix this ASAP as we need clients to be able to connect to our guest network and I want to get rid of the double SSID as devices are constantly switching between them!

Message 24 of 46
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Betreff: Firmware 2.3.1.100

Hello,

In regards to the SSID issue displaying multiples of the same SSID. Is it displaying duplicates of both the 2.5 and 5ghz frequencies? Does it remain or does the duplicate SSIDs disappear after some time?

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 43 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements