Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Frequent short slowdowns and disconnects

ldehaas1612
Tutor

Frequent short slowdowns and disconnects

Hi everyone,

I turn to you in desperate times... Since 2 months the internet connection keeps breaking up a few times per day for a few minutes at a time. It started off as a minor issue, but now starts to become more and more appearant. I was first thinking it had to be ISP related, since I couldn't find anything locally. However after 3 new modems and 2 service engineers we sadly have yet to make progress. ISP tells me that they ensure me that they read no issues on their side, and it must be an internal issue with the setup. The current setup is a Sagemcom F3896LG in bridgemode connected to the SXR80 with 2 satellites behind it. The problem is that at random the connection seems to drop. Sometimes it is just a slowdown, sometimes it is a complete loss of connectivity. During this issues I ran ping tests which resulted in lost packages but no logs in the router other then some random DOS messages. 
I'm running firmware V4.2.3.102 on router and satellites and have OpenVPN configured but disabled ping response through Telnet. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to try anything right now. 

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Luc

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ldehaas1612
Tutor

Re: Frequent short slowdowns and disconnects

thought I put this out here for someone else to find. The root of my issues was traced back all the way to a single machine on the network. It's Windows install formatted, but no luck.

Turned out the cable was the issue. Somehow there was some disturbances or shorting going on inside this cable which happened when the pc was on and transmitting data. After replacing, problem seem te be resolved for now. Thanks @plemans for thinking along.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I suggest putting the sagemcom back in router mode (disable its wifi). 

Then run the orbi in access point mode. 

See if that stays stable. 

I don't' have a very high opinion of ISP's supplied gateways. 

Message 2 of 6
ldehaas1612
Tutor

Yeah, I was thinking about doing this, but especially because I share your opinion on the ISP provided equipment and the fact it has been working flawlessly for over 2 years now leads me to believe that the issue lays elsewhere. I will try and rule this out whenever I find time to do all the necessary configuration to the ISP modem...

Thanks for your response!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Its always a challenge with ISP equipment because they make changes in the background or to firmware since they control it. 

But good luck! 

Message 4 of 6
ldehaas1612
Tutor

thought I put this out here for someone else to find. The root of my issues was traced back all the way to a single machine on the network. It's Windows install formatted, but no luck.

Turned out the cable was the issue. Somehow there was some disturbances or shorting going on inside this cable which happened when the pc was on and transmitting data. After replacing, problem seem te be resolved for now. Thanks @plemans for thinking along.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad you found the issue! 

Sad when its something like a device causing issues with the whole network. Really a PITA to troubleshoot. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements