Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest network not working and admin portal slow (SXR80/SXS80)

r___o___b
Aspirant

Guest network not working and admin portal slow (SXR80/SXS80)

The system has been working fine for several weeks but recently the connectivity has been slow (the speed tests are still showing about 700 MB download speed but even the admin login to the orbi administrative page is slow).  Now when users connect to the guest portal using a password, the users see the guest portal, get prompted for a password, enter the password and the page shows that they are now connected.  However the users are not connected to the internet (their devices will continue to prompt to login in to the SSID).  However I can see in the logs that the users get an IP address but then never finish connecting.  While using the admin portal the pages seem slow to load as well.  When looking at the "Basic - Home" pages, the guest portal is showing "0" devices connected (other SSIDs do have devices connected).

I have tried clearing the logs (maybe filling up the system?), looking at usage (nothing appears to maxing out the connection) and looking at what I can for logs.  The Guest network is setup to have about 512 IP addresses on a 24 lease (cannot verify that IP addresses are spent but this is in a quieter time where not as many people are using the network)

I am planning on rebooting the entire network to see if this resolves the issues.  I am also planning to upgrade the firmware to version 3.2.6.102 to fix the security vulnerability.  Is there anything else that I should be looking at?  I believe that I have most of the relevant logging turned on to see what is going on but I feel a little blind as to what the system is actually doing.

Devices:

SXR80 - firmware 3.2.6.100

SXS80 - firmware 3.2.6.100

Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@r___o___b,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Kindly answer the questions below:

1.  Are you able to go online via a wired connection just fine if you connect a PC directly to the LAN port of the SRX80/SXS80? 
2.  Are you able to go online wirelessly just fine through the main SSID?  
3. Are there any changes made on the settings of the SRX80/SXS80 or any changes made on the network setup?

Go ahead and try to reboot the SXR80/SXS80 as well as you can update the firmware to the latest version and observe if the same problem will occur. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
r___o___b
Aspirant

In answer to this:

1 - no I have not tried the wired connection (see the answers below). 

2 - yes, the other wireless LANs are working OK.  If I connect to any other wireless LAN (which are identified as an office (admin), Point of Sale and Other Point of Sale) I can connect just fine.  I get an IP address, connect and am able to access the internet.  Each of these Wireless LANs has their own IP scope and when I connect, I get an appropriate IP address for the that VLAN.

3. As for changes, no, the only change that would be affect this would be that the available bandwidth for the guest VLAN was changed from 40% to 25% of the total bandwidth.  I do not know how to see the usage of the bandwidth per SSID so I cannot validate that something is being overrun. However when this issue is occuring, I have seen between 0-4 systems that have able to connect to the guest network.

I checked again tonight at the site and the guest portal was not allowing my device to connect.  Again with simliar symptoms.  The SSID was advertised.  Sometimes my device would try to connect and I would get to the portal and I could enter the password but I would never fully connect and get internet access. Tonight (after changes which are listed below), I could not connect to this guest portal but the software showed that four (4) devices were connected.

Changes since last message:

- router and access point rebooted

- firmware update on the router and access points individually

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@r___o___b,

Let us try this.  Kindly update the firmware of your SXR80/SXS80 to v3.2.6.102Hotfix.  This firmware fixes security vulnerabilities.  You can download it here.  Then, check if the same problem will occur. 

If the same problem will occur, I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime. Kindly state your concern and you may include the link to this thread.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
r___o___b
Aspirant

So I updated to that firmware version and I am still seeing the issue with the guest portal (the other SSIDs appear to be a bit more stable). Here is a list of other things that I tried to do to help out with this issue:
Changed the guest network to use the built in guest LAN (which is a /24 and is in the 192.168 range like the other SSIDs - I was previously using a 10.10.30.* IP range so it would be easier to identify guest users).
Setup email forwarding of the logs.
Changed the DHCP lease time of the systems in the guest network to less than 24 hours (I believe it is at 12 hours now).
On the known trusted good SSIDs (employee, iot), known devices were statically reserved to hopefully reduce DHCP requests.

None of these items appear to have fixed the guest portal issue.

When I look at the logs, I am not seeing DHCP run out of addresses (at most during a day on the guest network, I am seeing 20-30 unique IP addresses being handed out on the busiest days).
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements