Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to Extend Orbi Pro Network with Wired AP

domierc
Follower

How to Extend Orbi Pro Network with Wired AP

Hello,

I'm helping a coworking space with their wifi network. Currently, they have the Orbi Pro system with two other satellites. The two satellites are hardwired to a switch connected to the main Orbi Pro. The problem is they have a room far far in the back and even with a wired Orbi Pro within 30 feet, it can't connect through the thick walls. 

They don't have the budget to get another Orbi Pro for a third satellite so I figured I'd work around it. I'm having them drop a cat cable into the troublesome room - is it possible to use something like a EX7000-100NAS as a wired AP? I've tried wireless extenders and it doesn't do anything whatsoever so I figured running a wired AP that should do the trick. 

Any devices to recommend? It's for two rooms in the far back right next to each other so I figured the EX7000-100NAS would be sufficient but I don't see a WAN on there just ethernet - can I accomplish what I need? Turn this device into AP mode, and basically mimic what I'm doing with the Orbi Pros daisy chained? Same SSID etc. 

Model: EX7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post in the Orbi Pro forum for your product support:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Good Luck. 

@domierc wrote:

Hello,

I'm helping a coworking space with their wifi network. Currently, they have the Orbi Pro system with two other satellites. The two satellites are hardwired to a switch connected to the main Orbi Pro. The problem is they have a room far far in the back and even with a wired Orbi Pro within 30 feet, it can't connect through the thick walls. 

They don't have the budget to get another Orbi Pro for a third satellite so I figured I'd work around it. I'm having them drop a cat cable into the troublesome room - is it possible to use something like a EX7000-100NAS as a wired AP? I've tried wireless extenders and it doesn't do anything whatsoever so I figured running a wired AP that should do the trick. 

Any devices to recommend? It's for two rooms in the far back right next to each other so I figured the EX7000-100NAS would be sufficient but I don't see a WAN on there just ethernet - can I accomplish what I need? Turn this device into AP mode, and basically mimic what I'm doing with the Orbi Pros daisy chained? Same SSID etc. 

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@domierc,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

The Orbi Pro router/satellite is not compatible with the EX7000.  The Orbi Pro device will just be compatible with another Orbi Pro device. 

As I have mentioned earlier, the Orbi Pro device will just be compatible with another Orbi Pro device. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7