Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to optimize single client transmit to LAN NAS ?

Animal7857
Guide

How to optimize single client transmit to LAN NAS ?

So new SXR50 is killing my laptop backup jobs.  Everything else is great but upload to NAS takes 2-3X longer.  Have been investigating by watching windows copy GUI during drag-n-drop of 1G iso file between NAS and client using SMB.

My setup is modem -> 4 x 2.5G router / firewall

->  SXR50 in AP mode.
                               ->  Unused Management port.  Could be satellite or NAS if it helped.
                               ->  1G non-stp vlan switch

-> 2x1G bond to NAS

-> Other wired hosts, AP's.

Wifi 0:   MGMT mapped untagged -> 40 in rest of network.  Almost unused except unrelated iscsi traffic between firewall and NAS.

Wifi 1:   IOT mapped to vlan 10, devices forced to 2G.

Wifi 2:   Primary lan on vlan 50.

Wifi 3:   Useless to me.  Turned off.  ( another VLAN would be if it had security ).

Single client wired throughput is 90 MB/S for 1500MTU from switch or 115MB/S using 4K or router port.  Hmm thats weird router should not be faster than switch but point is everything except Wifi easily saturates 1G.

Single client throughput from AP's I was trying to replace ( 80Mhz 2x2 AC ) reaches 50-70MB/S depending on distance and power level ( lower better ).  It generally follows librespeed results as I expect.  Never expected faster, mostly I wanted VLAN support instead of existing 1 VLAN / device using consumer routers in AP mode.

Single client throughput on SRX50 maxes out at ~ 22MB/S with 100% CPU utilization regardless of AC -vs- AX or router -vs- satellite connection and idles at ~ 28% CPU.  Ironically that is about what other AP's do at full speed.

At all times I have ~ 50-100 open connections with about 3MB/S on 2G IOT vlan and < 1MB/s random garbage on lan.

Getting satellite to work during setup was really hard.  Following hints here and elsewhere I disabled STP on the firewall and thought that was at least partly what made things start working.

What I notice now is that I re-enable STP on firewall the SXR50 CPU utilization drops to about 65% and throughput increases to ~ 33MB/S.

Questions:

- Is it safe to leave firewall in this mode and if so any suggested settings  ?

- Is there anything at all I can do to get closer to my 50-70 MB/s baseline ?
-  Is there any way to turn down or eliminate all the network probing ?  Seems like SXR is lonely and wants to ping everyone once a second.  ( Obviously mesh requires STP and monitoring but seems like a lot ).

- If not is there any alternative Netgear product which does support multiple SSID vlans and > 60MB/s  ( or even better > 100MB..) throughput ?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Avoid (ab)use such a device for AP config. As you already have a nice network with 2.5 GbE (and Gigabit for the NAS LAD/trunk), think about installing a WAX6xx, or a single (in case you look for a single local managed AP) WAX218 as per your Wi-Fi needs. These AP won't go CPU bound even at full bandwidth. 

Can't resist to mention: Better use wired Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi for full system backup processes. You ruin your overall limited radio and band bandwidth on the air otherwise.

Minor one: Strictly stick on the correct units, show the effective units. MB is Megabytes, Mb is Megabits - difference is a factor eight.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Avoid (ab)use such a device for AP config. As you already have a nice network with 2.5 GbE (and Gigabit for the NAS LAD/trunk), think about installing a WAX6xx, or a single (in case you look for a single local managed AP) WAX218 as per your Wi-Fi needs. These AP won't go CPU bound even at full bandwidth. 

Can't resist to mention: Better use wired Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi for full system backup processes. You ruin your overall limited radio and band bandwidth on the air otherwise.

Minor one: Strictly stick on the correct units, show the effective units. MB is Megabytes, Mb is Megabits - difference is a factor eight.

Message 2 of 3
Animal7857
Guide

Yes BYTES as measured by Windows File copy GUI.  Librespeed shows 750 Mbit down / 400Mbit up but divide by 8 is a bit optimistic. For SMB traffic at 1500MTU I consider bits/10 pretty good due to overhead.

Thank you for confirming WAX series does not have this same limitation.  I will stop fighting with trying to figure out why STP impacts CPU load and just get something more appropriate.  ( my clients lack ethernet ports and building lacks cable to center *sigh* ).

For benefit of anyone else considering this product please note that if your office has no servers and all you need is to distribute 300 / 30 or perhaps 500 / 50 internet to clients it works well.  The radios are rock solid and range good.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements