Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Insight v6.1.15 on SRR60 v2.6.2.20 says satellite update available - but fails

dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Insight v6.1.15 on SRR60 v2.6.2.20 says satellite update available - but fails

Insight (v6.1.15/6.1.15.10) tells me that my satellite firmware needs to be updated, but fails.

• Router           SRR60     V2.6.2.200  <--- current/latest f/w
  • Satellite-1      SRS60     V2.6.2.200  <--- current/latest f/w
  • Satellite-2      SRS60     V2.6.2.200  <--- current/latest f/w
  • Outdoor          RBS50Y    V2.6.0.108  <--- the likely target of the update msg

• SRR60 factory reset and wifi info entered in again
  • RBS50Y reset via reset button then sync'd to router successfully
    • RX/TX is 975/975, 5G, channel 157, with active connections going through it

Insight shows that my SRR60 router is on f/w V2.6.2.200 and that a Satellite update is available.  Pressing "Update Now" displays a screen showing the router info - not the satellite that it tells me needs updating:

• OrbiPro
  • Current Version: 2.6.2.200
  • Update Version: 2.6.2.200

This must be a bug.  If the 'Satellite update available" message in Insight is referring to the satellite, then it should be displaying the satellite info, not the router info.  So I'm left with no idea which device it was wanting or trying to update.  But, since the router and the 2 internal satellites are all on the new firmware, it's clearly indicating that the RBS50Y needs updating.

Trying to actually do the update results in the message "Initiating firmware upgrade..." and after 19 minutes, changes to 'Firmware update failed."  

Via the Orbi web interface on my PC, on the Firmware Update page, I see that the RBS50Y is on V2.6.0.108, but with a status of "Update failed".  Refreshing the web page forces it to update the firmware table, with "Please wait a moment..." changing to "Update failed" for the RSB50Y.

I have tried manually updating via the 'Manual Update' tab, but this requires a local firmware file.  The only firmware available as of 20210313 on the Netgear site  is either

• Firmware Version 2.6.2.104 (Orbi Mode for Orbi), or
  • Firmware Version 2.6.0.108 (Orbi Mode for Orbi Pro)

Which again, makes no sense.  I'm already on 2.6.0.108, and I assume I'm not supposed to use the "Orbi Mode for Orbi" f/w.

So there appears to be a number of issues:

• Is there a f/w update available at all?
  • If so, which one, for which device, and where can I find it
  • If not, don't tell me that there's an update available (Insight), and don't tell me the update failed (Orbi Pro web page)

Finally, I can't enable automatic firmware updates via the Orbi Pro web page.  Why not?  I do NOT wish to buy the Insight app as there is literally nothing I need in it.  

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Insight v6.1.15 on SRR60 v2.6.2.20 says satellite update available - but fails

There is "just" v2.6.2.200 - it was distributed in the Beta section initially. No idea why this has not made it into the live update for Insight. It's not uncommon the download section can be updated later however. @YeZ ?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Insight v6.1.15 on SRR60 v2.6.2.20 says satellite update available - but fails

I found another forum message mentioning that new (beta) f/w for the SRR60 and the RBS50Y (v2.6.2.200) is available, but it links to a message in the forum that's no longer available.  I found a google cached page of the message and the links for the (beta?) firmware:

------------------------
New Firmware V2.6.2.200 for SRR60/SRS60/SRC60/RBS50Y(for Orbi Pro) Now Available!   [dated 2021-02-25 01:20 AM]
New Features:

This firmware provides the following new features:

• Supports the NETGEAR Insight app and Insight Cloud Portal version IM-6.1
Bug Fixes:

This firmware addresses the following bugs:

• Fixes DNS issues that DNS request is hijacked when clients configure static DNS server
  • 512 DHCP clients support in LAN setting
  • Fixes wired satellite is showed disconnected in Insight webportal
  • Fixes Orbi App support issue
  • Fixes RBS50Y configuration reset issue. It requires to upgrade this firmware twice to fix the issue.
Known Issues:

This firmware contains the following known issue:

After updating the router firmware, existing clients can be steered to the router because the wireless readiness in the router is faster than the wireless readiness in the satellite. Workaround: Connected clients might notice slower throughput or a weaker signal, which resolves when the user roams or reconnects.

Download Link:

SRR60  - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/SRR60-V2.6.2.200.zip

SRS60  - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/SRS60-V2.6.2.200.zip

SRC60  - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/SRC60-V2.6.2.200.zip

RBS50Y - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/BETA-FW/RBS50Y-V2.6.2.200.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

If the Orbi Pro is connected to the Insight cloud, perform a firmware update through the firmware schedule policy, or manually perform a firmware update using the Insight app or local browser interface.

To update the Orbi Pro firmware from the local browser interface, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual. To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/, enter your model number in the search box, and click.

Documentation:

On the product page. We highly recommend updating the satellite firmware first, and then updating the router firmware.

After updating to the latest firmware, make sure to update your version of the NETGEAR Insight app for the best functionality and user experience.

Additional Firmware Update Instructions for RBS50Y(for Orbi Pro):

The Orbi Outdoor (RBS50Y) uses different firmware versions depending on which wireless system you use. As of 2.3.5.22, RBS50Y detects whether the Orbi Router is an Orbi Pro system, and if so, automatically updates to Orbi Pro-compatible firmware.

If the firmware version is showing 0.0.0.0 on RBS50Y, the system is preparing to update to the Orbi Pro-compatible firmware.

------------------------

I assume that there's a non-beta v2.6.2.200 f/w for the RBS50Y available somewhere, but neither it nor the v2.6.2.200 f/w for the SRR60 is listed in the Netgear Support pages for those devices, so I don't know where to download it.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

There is "just" v2.6.2.200 - it was distributed in the Beta section initially. No idea why this has not made it into the live update for Insight. It's not uncommon the download section can be updated later however. @YeZ ?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements