Is "Wireless 2" Useless for an Office on ORBI Pro?

TryTheFish71
Tutor

Is "Wireless 2" Useless for an Office on ORBI Pro?

So, as odd as the setup screen struck me (Wireless 1 or 2, with 2 being locked down for employees), I decided to install and go with it.  I put myself and the executive team on Wireless 1, the employees on Wireless 2.

One small problem with employees on Wireless 2 (Where you can't see others on the network):  YOU ALSO CAN'T GET TO PRINTERS.

I love the idea of segmenting employees away from my engineers or executives, but doesn't just about everyone need printer access these days? Why are there no exceptions to this???

I guess it's going back.  Until they figure this out, I prefer the traditional "G and N" networks so we can all get to the printers.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50),Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 1 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Is "Wireless 2" Useless for an Office on ORBI Pro?

Hi TryTheFish71,

Welcome to our community!

These networks are separated to each other. So if the printers are connected in executive network, then it is not possible for the employees to have an access on it. This is a security feature of the Orbi Pro. It is like creating a private and a guest network.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
TryTheFish71
Tutor

John,

On Network 2 in settings, if I put my employees on that network like it recommends, you can’t see others in the network. That also means Printers and other wireless devices.
So Network 2 is effectively useless in an office setting.
Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 3 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@TryTheFish71,

As per replicating your case. I saw the Wireless 2 showing "Use this network for employee access to the Internet. When using this network, you cannot see other devices that are connected and you cannot access the local area network (LAN)."

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
TryTheFish71
Tutor

So you agree, it’s pretty useless for an office.
Message 5 of 7
jpetrone
Tutor

Exact same problem here - tried using the Employee network and no one could see the printers. Only way to print is to have EVERYONE (users and printers) on the Admin network and/or attached via physical ethernet. Very poor setup and documentation. Employee network is useless for employees in most offices.

Message 6 of 7
Asturia
Tutor

What i can be used for is to connect everyone's phone & tablets to it.

So that the phones of the employees can access the internet without interfering with the rest of the network.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements