Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the SXK30 just as good as the SXK50 when using Wired Backhaul?

sparks99
Tutor

From what I can understand, Orbi uses a dedicated wireless backhaul band that can't be used for clients even when someone uses only Wired Backhaul for the mesh satellites.

Does this mean that there is no real benefit with the SXK50 over the SXK30 when using wired backhaul?   Trying to decide whether to save the money on the SXK50 and buy the SXK30 instead. 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
sparks99
Tutor

Re: Is the SXK30 just as good as the SXK50 when using Wired Backhaul?

I realized all the wireless devices on my network will be 2x2 and 80Mhz (or whatever is lower). So I can just save the money for now and upgrade down the road.

Just got the SXK30B3 delivered so will give that a go first.  Technically I have the SXK50B2 on backorder as well but will probably end up cancelling that.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The user-facing wireless on the SXx30 systems have just an AX1800 access point each and 80 MHz bandwidth support on 5 GHz, in the wireless backhaul case sharing the AX1800 (1,200 + 600) Mbps with the wireless backhaul, typically 1,200 if the backhaul can be 5 GHz.

The SXx50 systems have AX5400 access points on each device including 160MHz bandwidth support on 5 GHz, for the AP part its a AX3000 system. In the wireless backhaul case, the AX5400 (600 + 2,400 + 2,400) Mbps system does reserve 2,400 if the backhaul can be operated 5 GHz. A lot more benefit IMHO.

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

If you have devices that support 160hz wide channels (most newer ones do) then the SXK50 is a better option as it has the wider 160hz wide channels. You'd see better speeds. 

@schumaku went over the capabilities nicely. 

I'd have loved to see a dual band sxk system that had the 4800mbps 4x4 or even a 2400mbps 80hz wide 4x4  front haul for those users that user hardwired backhaul. Seems like quite a few business environments have ethernet ran through them so it'd be a pretty nice setup. 

Message 3 of 7
sparks99
Tutor

Thanks for the replies.  If I understand 80MHz vs 160MHz correctly...

Since there are so few devices that use 160MHz, then the difference in practical use today may be fairly negligible between the SXK30 and SXK50 for wired backhaul applications. (For example, Apple devices only use 80MHz)

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

If the vast majority of your devices don't support 160hz wide channels, then it is a bit of an expense you wouldn't necessarily need. But you'll see more and more devices supporting 160hz wide channels. So its kind of up to you to know if its something you want for the future or don't need. 

Message 5 of 7
sparks99
Tutor

I realized all the wireless devices on my network will be 2x2 and 80Mhz (or whatever is lower). So I can just save the money for now and upgrade down the road.

Just got the SXK30B3 delivered so will give that a go first.  Technically I have the SXK50B2 on backorder as well but will probably end up cancelling that.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Good luck! Hope it works well for you. I've got the same set and it was solid when used with the hardwired backhaul

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements