Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is there anything except SRS60 to extend my SRK60 set?

joshuapl
Tutor

Is there anything except SRS60 to extend my SRK60 set?

Hi,

I have purchased some time ago an SRK60 set (SRR60+2x SRS60). It works quite fine, but I would love to extend the range a little bit, not mentioning my garden. I am using ethernet backhaul and I don't want to use any "wifi extenders", rather I'd like to extend my existing mesh. I also don't want to switch now to WIfi6 sets - I know that SRR60+SRS60 work just fine and I don't need speeds higher than those offered by SRK60.

Unfortunately, SRS60 is unavailable to purchase - some exotic sites have it in offer at insane prices (more than my set of router with 2 satellites), used units don't appear anywhere (that just shows how good they perform).

Is SRS60 the only satellite supported by SRR60? Where could I find a list of other supported devices?

One note: I'm using SRK60 in AP mode, I didn't want it to replace my router.

P.S. Once I found some info that SRR60 can also perform as a satellite - but I had one available temporarily and it never wanted to do so with ethernet backhaul...

Greetings,

-- 

Jacek

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Doesn't look like it. Just the SRS60 and SRC60. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000065169/Which-Orbi-routers-and-satellites-are-compatible

You can use the RBS50Y in extender mode but you'll loose a little performance. 

What region are you in? I seen a new SRK60 kit for cheaper than just buying the satellite on amazon. You could always buy the kit and hold onto the srr60 for backup since you'll have a bit of $ tied up into satellites. 

Message 2 of 3
joshuapl
Tutor

Hi, thanks for answering!

This compatibility table explains a lot. Generally, I think that it is a shame that Netgear mesh is so hard to extend.

I'm afraid that RBS50Y's "extender mode" means that it won't connect through ethernet backhaul - what makes it quite pointless to me, since I put mesh APs in places where Wi-Fi signal is poor. Also, RBS50Y seems to be quite hard to get in a reasonable price. And SRC60 is even more virtual than SRS60 - actually I failed to find a single one available.

Of course I'm aware of existence of second-hand SRK60 sets, but in my region (Central Europe) these are rather available in unacceptable prices (unacceptable = higher than a 3-4 set of WIFI6 mesh APs).

It seems that I need to stay with what I have - and look for some discounts on some WIFI6 sets. Or just build an EAP Omada setup, which might be quite cheap when built on second-hand APs.

Greetings,

-- 

Jacek

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements