Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Login info erases after power failure

Mstrbig
Master

Login info erases after power failure

I have a situation, on several SXK80 systems, where it fails to accept the saved user/password combo, after a power failure.

The only fix is to enter serial number and answer the 2 security questions. Then it prompts you to pick the combination again.

I've tested it thoroughly and it happens on all the SXK80 systems we service. First thought, bad storage battery, but none of the other info is lost.

Any input from tech will be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Message 2 of 7
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

If storage is erased, the password would be reset to default.

Are your AP managed by Insight? If yes, Insight software manage the password. Althought you can reset password in local, Insight would still provision password after reboot.

Message 3 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@BruceGuo wrote:

If storage is erased, the password would be reset to default.

Are your AP managed by Insight? If yes, Insight software manage the password. Althought you can reset password in local, Insight would still provision password after reboot.

No offense, but you did NOT read my post.

First off, storage has not been erased, unless the battery, if one exists, is defective. 

There is no reason, after a power failure, even a brownout, that the password should reset.

I'm trying to figure out if the firmware has a defect in it, or something else is causing it. 

Also, some are managed by Insight, while others are not. But that still should not cause the password to be reset, but all the data and custom programming is still there.

Message 4 of 7
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

After password recover, is the configuration reset to default? Does it happen only one time or it can be reproduced?

Message 5 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@BruceGuo wrote:

After password recover, is the configuration reset to default? Does it happen only one time or it can be reproduced?

No, after passeord recovery, all settings are in tact which is the strange part. All I'm required to do is enter serial number and pick new password. 

Message 6 of 7
quagmire1
Luminary

Want to hear my dumb idea?  Of course you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway! 😉

I've seen this type of behavior when the password rules are not properly implemented on the device, typically in regard to special characters.  ISTR that the SXR80 requires at least one number and one special. If you change the password to something that only uses one number and one special (I know that "!" works), does that help?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements