Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Looking for network with seamless mesh roaming for warehouse application

QuantumTech
Follower

Looking for network with seamless mesh roaming for warehouse application

I am looking to replace my existing warehouse network (microtik) with something that works better. I noticed the new Orbi Pro 6 advertises a seamless mesh network but before comitting to anything I want to be sure it will work. In our warehouse we are using handheld devices (tablets or phone with no data package) connected to the wireless network to manage our inventory, production, shipping and recieving etc. The software we are using is used by running an application on a server with the handheld devices connected using Remote Desktop Connection to the server. 

Because of the nature of our software set up, we need something that hands off between mesh satellites seamlessly, before your signal gets very weak on one. Right now it seems to wait until your connection to one node gets very weak or even disconnects before connecting to the next one resulting in a significant lag time. Sometimes wifi will have to be turned off and on again if you are stuck to the weak connection but it is not registering your actions. Every key stroke, every instance of scrolling on a page, every lookup, barcode scan etc requires a message sent through the wireless to the desktop server and back again, so any delay is very irritating. It can be hard to tell if the touch to select a field actually went through, if the numbers you're entering are typing etc.

Our warehouse is a large L shape of nearly 10000 sq ft, and has a lot of metal in it (rows of racking with steel drums or pails full of liquid), with 24 ft high metal ceiling. We also have an office space, lunch room and laboratory which it would be nice if it had hte same wireless network over it, but not essential. Please let me know if anyone has any advice or experience in this area.

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Looking for network with seamless mesh roaming for warehouse application

Orbi is pretty seamless in handoffs in my experiences. 

And there is the orbi pro setup for more business oriented operations. 

https://www.netgear.com/orbi-pro/sxk80b4.aspx

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Looking for network with seamless mesh roaming for warehouse application

@QuantumTech wrote:

... to replace my existing warehouse network (microtik) ...

Our warehouse is a large L shape of nearly 10000 sq ft, and has a lot of metal in it (rows of racking with steel drums or pails full of liquid), with 24 ft high metal ceiling. We also have an office space, lunch room and laboratory which it would be nice if it had hte same wireless network over it, but not essential. Please let me know if anyone has any advice or experience in this area.

Was and is this all wireless? Just one "primary" WiFi and then bring up repeaters - no matter it these are bunches of WiFi repeaters or mesh class satellites - will never lead to a good result.

My advise goes towards some clever network design. The nearer you bring wired network t the wireless clients, the better the wireless can perform. Stay far away from consumer and throw-in mesh system, especially if you intend to combine the warehouse and the office/lab/lunch room where wires to the rooms are required. Assuming the central location is in the middle of this L, set up some wired Ethernet with PoE switches and APs, Towards the two wings of the L-building, you might consider some powerful tri-band AP allowing a dedicated bridge to the towards 2/3 of the length to another similar AP. Depends on the latency and performance expectations. You might not need WiFi 6 in the warehouse, so e.g. a pair of WAC540 would do it for each half of the L section  (also to allow one wireless hop out to the far ends), in the center you might consider some WAX610 e.g. for the office. All management done by Netgear Insight.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements