Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Major issues with SXK30 & VLANs

vox_ratio
Aspirant

Major issues with SXK30 & VLANs

I am pretty sure I have discovered an undocumented design flaw / bug in the new SXK30 system. In summary: if the system is used in access point mode and the satellite & router are connected through WiFi backhaul, one of the wireless interfaces must be assigned VLAN1.

Setup

1. The SXR30 (router) is set to access point mode and is connected to a pfSense firewall through a 802.1q capable managed switch (Netgear GS308T). Another AP before the Orbi was connected to this firewall-switch setup and was working without issues. Moreover, the firewall settings and VLAN set-up of the switch have been audited and validated several times so I am pretty confident here is no issue with them.
  2. The SXR30 (router) is connected to the SXS30 (satellite) through Wi-Fi backhaul as an ethernet backhaul link is unfortunately not possible.
  3. All 4 Wireless networks are enabled and have "VLAN Profile" enabled. Wireless 2, 3 & the Guest Wireless use the default VLAN profile (20, 30 & 40 respectively). Wireless 1 works mostly fine with the default VLAN1, but as soon as I set it to anything else, all hell breaks loose (see below).

Issues

1. As soon as I set Wireless 1 to any VLAN other than the default VLAN1 all kinds of trouble starts. Clients an all networks randomly lose connectivity, I randomly cannot connect to the router and/or the satellite and there are even random packet floods, which block access of other devices, connected by LAN directly to the firewall & switch. It seems that one of the Wireless interfaces MUST be assigned to VLAN1, otherwise the router cannot sync with the satellite and all hell breaks loose.
  2. There are random disconnects on clients connected to the network through the SXR30 or SXS30, even with Wireless 1 being assigned VLAN1. Weirdly and importantly: the clients do no disconnect from the WiFi, but still cannot access other devices on the network. A ping shows all packets being dropped.
  3. It seems that often the only way to get the satellite properly functioning after changing a setting is to hard reset it, using the hardware reset button on the back.

The VLAN issue in mesh mode is NOT documented in the SXK30's manual. Moreover, the router's settings UI allows the setting to be carried out without any warning or notice.

Generally the system seems pretty unstable, unresponsive and slow. If more than 1 setting is changed on the router in a row, the whole system becomes slow and unstable and has to be rebooted. Often the only way to get the satellite to function normally again is to hard reset it.

Does anyone else here own an SXK30 system? Has anyone had these issues?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your not the only one with the vlan issue when using the wireless backhaul.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/p4qpjc/frustrating_experience_with_the_new_orbi_pro_wifi/

The response was: " When you enable VLANs, Ensure that you always have one leg in trunk mode with main vlan as default (thus 1 in my case). If you don't, then there's a risk that sat and router cannot synch anymore."

Message 2 of 11
vox_ratio
Aspirant

I am familiar with this thread. I still would like to know if anyone else here is experiencing this issue and most of all, if Netgear support has any plans of testing it, acknowledging it and doing something about it. Anything.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Honestly not sure if its because the sxk30 is the base model dual band model and needs the vlan set like that versus the sxk80 has the dedicated wireless backhaul. You might see a mod on here but its rare. 

@BruceGuo 

Message 4 of 11
vox_ratio
Aspirant

So what you  are saying is that I should not get my hopes high for a fix... great 😒

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Again, not sure if its an issue or something needed for the backhaul. That's where the moderator will come in. 

I know Netgear is aware of it but unsure of much else. 

Message 6 of 11
kiruthika
Initiate

For Carrying VLAN we required atleast one trunk port in the base for assigning IP to satellite.We need to check that in  Arris W31 x2 Router DHCP server State (Enabled or Disabled). In Enabled case CM2000 also offer IP and Arris W31 x2 may also try to assign IP. Due to IP conflict issue may happen.

Thanks 

Message 7 of 11
vox_ratio
Aspirant

Did you reply to the wrong thread? If not, please read the original post again carefully. Thanks!
Message 8 of 11
waaxy53
Aspirant

Arris W31 x2 Router DHCP server State (Enabled or Disabled). I n Enabled case CM2000 additionally provide IP and Arris W31 x2 may attempt to assign IP. Due to IP war problem may also manifest.

Message 9 of 11
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

If you can, can you forward me the debug logs from the unit for review? This can be done by going to IPOFDEVICE/debug.html

Message 10 of 11
Travellingbambi
Aspirant

I bought a SXK30 a couple weeks ago. I have been experiencing frequent network down problems. The router lost internet connection and stopped all wifi connections. This could happen twice a DAY. Sometimes, the router reboot itself and everything went back to normal after a few minutes. But sometimes the router just stop responding at all. I need to reset it manually. I have not touch the VLAN part. I leave everything as default. I have tried to reset it, stopped the UPNP stuff, changed the NTP default server. And to no avail. So the problem came from the router itself or maybe the firmware its running (which I have updated to the latest one). This maybe the cheapest PRO model, but it should at least WORK as a normal WIFI router should be. I am TOTALLY disappointed. My solution is to return it and bought another brand. Sorry about it.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements