Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multi WAN (VLAN/logical) interfaces with routing functionality.

Vego
Aspirant

Multi WAN (VLAN/logical) interfaces with routing functionality.

Hi,

I am in the market for upgrading my existing R7800 router with the SXK80. Due to my ISP which delivers internet and IP-TV on two different VLAN's things get a little more complicated. Most Netgear products can segment the WAN side in different VLAN's however they can only have routing functionality on the "default" VLAN. With my ISP I need routing on the IP-TV VLAN also as I must mask the MAC adress to actually retrieve a DHCP lease from their internal systems in the IP-TV VLAN. This WAN interface needs the IGMP proxy support also. Is this possible with the SXK80? And if not now are there any future plans of implementing it?

Thanks!

Regards,

Vegard

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Multi WAN (VLAN/logical) interfaces with routing functionality.

@Vego,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

Unfortunately, SXK80 does not support IGMP proxy support in the WAN interface. I suggest you share this in our Ideas exchange for Business board in order for our engineering team to consider it on future firmware releases.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Multicast routing between the IP subnetworks is completely missing - how should one share e.g. a printer with another subnet in the year 2020?

Message 3 of 6
Vego
Aspirant

@JohnC_V 

Thanks for your reply John. According to the user manual here on page 65 the IGMP Proxy functionality is present? Are you saying this is not correct? As even most of the Netgear's home equipment have this functinality I would be very surprised if this was not present on the SXK80. However I still have not found any answer to the possibility of multiple WAN interfaces with routing functionality? As this product has internal VLAN's is should not really be hard to connect an internal VLAN with a WAN VLAN in a 1:1 binding with default routing functionality already in the products.

Regards,

Vegard

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Vego the point is that this IGMP Proxy is implemented between the normal Internet WAN and the LAN (unclear really which VLAN). A much more sophisticated Muticast Router would be required for handling Multicast between multiple subnets, being the WAN/Internet on a dedicated IPTV VLAN, being between the individual local VLAN based IP subnetworks. 

The consumer class router makers are lightyears behind - every average "free" ISP provided router does have the capability to map the dedicated IPTV VLAN into the customer LAN in a transparent way. And at the same time, they all wonder about the massive loss of market share for 3rd party routers ....

Message 5 of 6
hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert

mDNS services gateway feature is in Beta 

Please try it out 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-Beta/In-Beta-SXK80-beta-firmware-version-4-2-1-106/m-p/222...

and provide your feedback.

This feature should allow devices like Printers/Chromcast TV/apple TV/FireTV/Roku TV  in one network (say Wireless1) be made available on other network (Wireless2). 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements