Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Orbi Pro SKX80 Alexa (Echo Show 5) Connection Issues

Beamur14
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi Pro SKX80 Alexa (Echo Show 5) Connection Issues

Hello,

I recently purchased the Netgear Orbi Pro SKX80 for my home network and have configured it to have 4 SSIDs (two internal / admin networks with 2 separate security profiles, 1 IoT network and the guest network). The SSID I'm trying to connect to is the Wireless 3 "IoT" network in the orbi admin interface using the deault Iot VLAN Profile. It is configured to use WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] since the Echo Show 5 and a lot of my other devices do not support newer security options. 

My Echo Show 5 device REFUSES to connect to the IoT network but can connnect without issue to the 2nd internal/admin network I have configured with WPA2-PSK [AES]. This is the only device that refuses to connect. I have an Echo Show 8 and an Echo Dot that connect to the IoT network without issue. Has anyone come across this? The error received on the device is "DHCP Error - Could not connect to internet". I have attempted to resolve this by suppling a DHCP reservation based on the device's MAC address and even configuring the device with a static IP by manually inputting the SSID on the Echo Show 5 and inputting the appropriate information.

Performing initial research "Fast Roaming" was disabled after manually being enabled as a troubleshooting step but that didn't help. I tried separating the SSIDs to 2.4GHz and 5GHz but that didn't help either. I have factory reset the device and that didn't help and as mentioned earlier I tried manually inputting the information for the network and providing a static IP and that hasn't helped.

Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue and has found a fix

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Beamur14
Aspirant

Not to necro this thread but I want to provide closure in case anyone comes across this.

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve this issue with my Orbi Pro. No matter what I tried I was unable to successfully get a stable wireless connection for the Echo Show 5 and a Ring Smart Lighting Bridge when directly connected to the Orbi Pro systems WiFi network.

To resolve the issue I used an old Netgear R6400 lying around that I physcially connected to the Orbi Pro via ethernet in "AP" mode. It's connected to one of the Orbi Pro's LAN ports configured with the IoT VLAN. I then configured the R6400 to be in "AP" mode with a separate set of 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

After attaching the Echo Show 5 and Ring Smart Lighting Bridge to the R6400 everything has been functioning without issue for those two devices. They grab a DHCP IP from the Orbi system and they are succesfully restricted to the IoT VLAN.

I would prefer to just use my Orbi system but this solution is working fine without issue for now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

Try resetting the Echo Show. Also change WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES] only.

Message 2 of 3
Beamur14
Aspirant

Not to necro this thread but I want to provide closure in case anyone comes across this.

Unfortunately I was unable to resolve this issue with my Orbi Pro. No matter what I tried I was unable to successfully get a stable wireless connection for the Echo Show 5 and a Ring Smart Lighting Bridge when directly connected to the Orbi Pro systems WiFi network.

To resolve the issue I used an old Netgear R6400 lying around that I physcially connected to the Orbi Pro via ethernet in "AP" mode. It's connected to one of the Orbi Pro's LAN ports configured with the IoT VLAN. I then configured the R6400 to be in "AP" mode with a separate set of 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.

After attaching the Echo Show 5 and Ring Smart Lighting Bridge to the R6400 everything has been functioning without issue for those two devices. They grab a DHCP IP from the Orbi system and they are succesfully restricted to the IoT VLAN.

I would prefer to just use my Orbi system but this solution is working fine without issue for now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements