Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI Pro SRR60 cascade or not to ISP router

ButterflyGirl
Aspirant

ORBI Pro SRR60 cascade or not to ISP router

Hi! I have a very small network, here's the setup:

DSL Modem/Router from ISP

Orbi SRR60 router plugged into DSL router

Orbi SRS60 placed in a second building - WiFI connection only

Speed is good, all works fine.

I turned off the WiFi on the DSL router. Now I'm being told that I should turn the DSL rounter WiFi back on and cascade the Orbi SRR60 off of it. These 2 devices are about 5' apart. WiFi coverage is not an issue.

Should I cascade the routers? If yes, why? What would I gain?

FYI - the WiFi on the DSL router is too weak to give me coverage in the second building. Obviously, I don't need more APs. Just don't see how I gain anything by cascading. Actually, I'm afriad I lose speed. 

Thanks!

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Being told by WHO?  I think the answer is clearly NO.

In addition, most users on this forum recommend putting the ISP device into "bridge" or "passthrough" or "modem only" mode.

Having two routers leads to problems.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Being told by WHO?  I think the answer is clearly NO.

In addition, most users on this forum recommend putting the ISP device into "bridge" or "passthrough" or "modem only" mode.

Having two routers leads to problems.

Message 2 of 4
ButterflyGirl
Aspirant

By someone who thinks he's a network wizard. But the same guy tried to tell me the Orbi Pro would not get me a signal to my 2nd building. His track record is 0 for 0. Since I'm having to redo the network configuration from the ground up, thought I would ask. I know you will say, why from the ground up? Because that famous phone company reset everything to factory default all the way from the CO to the DMARK to the DSL router, which wiped out all of my configurations. Yes, I change the default router login and the poor phone people are locked out. If I could figure out how to block them from being able to reset to factory defaults, I'd lock that down to. But there's a backdoor if you have access to the DMARK. Once I figured that out, I stopped. ;~)

Anyway, thanks for the information and feedback. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Please remember to post next time in the Orbi Pro forum for your model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7