Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Older laptop with b/g/n wireless card can't see SSID on SXR30

smbrouss70
Follower

Older laptop with b/g/n wireless card can't see SSID on SXR30

I recently installed an AX1800 Dual-Band Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mini Mesh System (SXK30B3).  I have an older Windows 7 laptop that has a Realtek RTL8188CE b/g/n wireless card that will not see the SSID broadcast from my new mesh system.  I thought these mesh systems were supposed to be backwards compatible.  Does anyone know of any settings that I may be able to manipulate to allow that laptop to see the new network?  I have tried updating the driver on the old laptop, but it didn't help.  FYI, laptop can see the other SSIDs, just can't see any of the SSIDs on the new setup.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Older laptop with b/g/n wireless card can't see SSID on SXR30

The problem isn't the router. its the wireless card. If it doesn't see the orbi's AX signal, it isn't going to see any AX signal. 

they are supposed to be backwards compatible if they followed the proper specs/drivers. 

Sadly, even intel had issues when AX was first released and had to issue firmware updates. 

Realtek hasn't been as pro-active with it. We've seen it a lot on here. 

You can try going directly to the realtek website and seeing if there's anything newer. Its doubtful though.

or a couple other options. 

• disable AX on the router (not ideal option)
  • replace the wireless card in the laptop. I've done this quite a few times. a good way to improve performance for relatively cheap as you don't need the "best" adapter, just something from a generation or 2 ago that works. 
  • use an old router and set it in access point mode that that specific laptop could connect to. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Older laptop with b/g/n wireless card can't see SSID on SXR30

The problem isn't the router. its the wireless card. If it doesn't see the orbi's AX signal, it isn't going to see any AX signal. 

they are supposed to be backwards compatible if they followed the proper specs/drivers. 

Sadly, even intel had issues when AX was first released and had to issue firmware updates. 

Realtek hasn't been as pro-active with it. We've seen it a lot on here. 

You can try going directly to the realtek website and seeing if there's anything newer. Its doubtful though.

or a couple other options. 

• disable AX on the router (not ideal option)
  • replace the wireless card in the laptop. I've done this quite a few times. a good way to improve performance for relatively cheap as you don't need the "best" adapter, just something from a generation or 2 ago that works. 
  • use an old router and set it in access point mode that that specific laptop could connect to. 
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements